Red Arrows toying with a new livery, fin only most likely

turnerdad

How about something like this.... it could be extended onto the tailerons,

Tom

That's really classy. Understated but instantly recognisable. Very British, in fact!

Hi Guy's, How about getting the British school kids involved maybe at airshows next season, make a national competition out of it and incorporate this with the 50th anniversary. Then the if the government hasn't got the cash then get the Lotto to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Airfix involved with a commemorative set of decals for the new scheme sold only at Arrows displays. Make an event out of.

I'm sure if all the paint stores in the MOD were scoured there would be sufficient paint for a re-paint, or ask one of the paint manufacturers for a donation and then let them advertise at airshows.

The cost shouldn't be a restriction it's the national display team after all.

JMTPW

Colin on the Africa Station

I think Tomstewart has done the consultancy work for you saving thousands.

All you need to do now is to go and get some coloured fablon, each plane could be done for say £20. Get the pilots to cut the fablon themselves and do thier own plane.Saving again.

The Ministry will be well please of the costings involved.

And if in a years time you dont like it the fablon can be peeled off and start again.

Send consultancy fee of £100

to me

Chancelor of the Exchequer

11 Downing Street

London.

:D

Tom

REDS3-1.jpg

I like that! That's definitely the sort of thing and will be passed on to the team. Awesome. I should add, if anyones particular design does get used, then you will recieve proper credit etc.

Hi Guy's, How about getting the British school kids involved maybe at airshows next season, make a national competition out of it and incorporate this with the 50th anniversary. Then the if the government hasn't got the cash then get the Lotto to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Airfix involved with a commemorative set of decals for the new scheme sold only at Arrows displays. Make an event out of.

I'm sure if all the paint stores in the MOD were scoured there would be sufficient paint for a re-paint, or ask one of the paint manufacturers for a donation and then let them advertise at airshows.

The cost shouldn't be a restriction it's the national display team after all.

JMTPW

Colin on the Africa Station

I did mention the possibility of making it a more national thing but there just are not the resources on the team to manage something like that sadly. Ultimately it's up to Red 1 in consultation with various other bodies to decide how best to proceed but at the moment it's a typically British affair, private individuals and their own creativity making up for the usual funding issues. But everything will be passed on so who knows?

Thanks for this, some really great ideas.

Edited by turnerdad

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure there's much wrong with the current livery. Red is a given unless they change their name. The fin as it stands is the largest possible version of the standard RAF fin flash - and, as a standing RAF unit, there's a good argument that they ought still to carry RAF markings even if the base colour isn't the usual dreary grey. If anything could do with perkling up it's that lettering along the side. Some of it is really quite ill-proportioned and the tapering always looks odd to me. But I'm aware that it's standard across the RAF, and the tail shouldn't wag the dog.

In the spirit of lively debate, avoid the flag. Over the last few years, English/GB sports teams have turned out in strips based on the cross of St Geore or Union Jack (as I will continure to refer to it to wind the pedants up!) which a) looks naff and B) yells out 'we have no imagination'. Thank the Lord theere's no budget for a design agency - can you imagine what a horlicks Stella McCartney would make of it?

Surely it is possible to be stylish and patriotic without resorting to overly-literal reworkings of the national flag?

Mind you, I like Tom's idea - maybe continue the fuselage line up fin in red with white edging, on a blue ground...

(wanders off to find a sheet of A4 and some crayons)

In the spirit of lively debate, avoid the flag.

Have to absolutely disagree with this statement. As a nation we need more flags we need to be more like USA flag mad and patriotic. :poppy:

A design idea.

Paint the underside of each hawk with a part of the union jack ,so that when they fly in formation it forms a whole union jack,Showmanship at its best :bling:

A design idea.

Paint the underside of each hawk with a part of the union jack ,so that when they fly in formation it forms a whole union jack,Showmanship at its best :bling:

Nice!! Just make sure that when they fly in that formation the flag is the right way up!! 'Cos when it is flown upside down it is a distress signal. :smartass:

Nice!! Just make sure that when they fly in that formation the flag is the right way up!! 'Cos when it is flown upside down it is a distress signal. :smartass:

Only at sea , and the last person to use that method was most likely Nelson.and it pretty much accepted these days to be either way up ,the main consideration is that you do have a flag in the first place ;)

Edited by eagle

In this day and age the use of lasers could be augmented so that the formation was tracked through the skies and then any iconic image could be projected on the underside of the hawks.

:speak_cool:

In this day and age the use of lasers could be augmented so that the formation was tracked through the skies and then any iconic image could be projected on the underside of the hawks.

Was Nelson ever in distress I think not !!!!

Belay that you are not supposed to shine lasers at airoplanes :oops:

I'd agree some sort of stylised Union Jack design on the tail would be great; what they really need to do is buy a can of white paint and some masking material and paint over those horribly dated looking and superfluous "Royal Air Force" titles that were put on them a few years ago.

Seriously, how many years had they been representing Britain at airshows around the world without such titling and nobody having any problems recognizing them?

Tom

REDS3-1.jpg

Thats good, but the red and white at the fin leading edge looks out of place to me, I think a scheme like XX261 0r XX307. I would do a pic like yours but I dont have the ability lol.

I'd agree some sort of stylised Union Jack design on the tail would be great; what they really need to do is buy a can of white paint and some masking material and paint over those horribly dated looking and superfluous "Royal Air Force" titles that were put on them a few years ago.

Seriously, how many years had they been representing Britain at airshows around the world without such titling and nobody having any problems recognizing them?

But, as I say, it's the standard branding for the RAF. To get the aircraft changed would require the RAF to adopt completely new branding first. I think they should - it is soddin awful - but if matey on the squadron is doing this on his own initiative, that's not likely to be a runner.

I totally agree. I have never been a fan of the "corporate" titles down the fuselage on the Hawks, or on any of the aircraft/helicopters in the RAF, well, apart from VC-10's and C-17's, that looks ok to me !!

Now imagine 9 Hawks in formation painted up like this, This is the scheme the Red Arrows should have (IMHO) Cant get more patriotic !

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1156894

Edited by smeds

I totally agree. I have never been a fan of the "corporate" titles down the fuselage on the Hawks, or on any of the aircraft/helicopters in the RAF, well, apart from VC-10's and C-17's, that looks ok to me !!

Now imagine 9 Hawks in formation painted up like this, This is the scheme the Red Arrows should have (IMHO) Cant get more patriotic !

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1156894

The white and red should be interchanged :speak_cool: