Cleaning models how do you do it?

paul178

There is probably a thread on here but I can't find it

So my questions are

1 How do you clean your models and remove the dreaded dust

2 Before britmodeller an my use of kleer I have models with nicotine residue on them(ex smoker now) with decals just stuck on, I am hesitant to immerse them in water as I dont really want the decals floating away.

3 I also have ship models with rigging any ideas on that one.

Its spring cleaning time as summer is just a dream at the moment so I thought I would make myself busy

Any help would be appreciated

One tool I accidentally found useful for dust removal was when I spotted a blusher cosmetic brush used by a girlfriend years ago - the bristles are incredibly soft and wont damage even the smallest most delicate of parts

DUST the enemy of all modellers. :badmood:

If you dont keep it down it will contaminate models. :tumble:

Im sure because they are plastic they are charged and attract dust.

People walking about generate dust :shithappens:

Hermetically sealed display cases mmmmmmmmmmmm :hmmm:

No matter how clean your house is there is always airborne dust,dust is all sorts of stuff even skin.

I had this idea to set up a hoover on a timer so that when you walked about it ran automatically on top of the daily hoover. :handbag::bouncy:

Placed in the model room in a static position :poo:

(I must take note of my own ideas and implement them) :poke:

It must make a difference to the dust aspect say over a year ,musnt it ??

Say you ran it for half hour a day ,timer hoover ,hoover timer .

I'm on a mission :innocent:

There is probably a thread on here but I can't find it

So my questions are

1 How do you clean your models and remove the dreaded dust

2 Before britmodeller an my use of kleer I have models with nicotine residue on them(ex smoker now) with decals just stuck on, I am hesitant to immerse them in water as I dont really want the decals floating away.

3 I also have ship models with rigging any ideas on that one.

Its spring cleaning time as summer is just a dream at the moment so I thought I would make myself busy

Any help would be appreciated

Dust that is just lying on the surface can be removed effectively with a 'puffer brush', which used to be available at camera shops;- a soft bristle brush with a rubber bulb on the end of the handle.

Dust that is adhering due nicotine, etc needs a more aggressive approach. Moist cotton buds can be effective, but of course they dont go into the smallest nooks and crannies. For the tight spots a toothpick with a small bit of rag or paper tissue on the end can work. Its fiddly and time consuming and needs care to avoid damage to the model.

Alternatively splash out on new decals!

Really I dont think there is an easy way.

Regards Dave

Edited by Kiwidave4

I try to clean my models every couple of months (or so...) and I usually use the above mentioned 'blusher' cosmetics brush to gently brush away any large volumes of dust from delicate areas. I also use a soft cotton cloth that is slightly moist to rub away any stubborn deposits.

I think the key to keeping your models clean is to clean them gently and often.

Karl

• 2 months later...

You have to ask yourself how long it took you to build your model then ask again how long it takes to use a cosmetic brush once a week as I do to keep all the effort it took to put your creation together clean.

No problem! I have twenty odd models on display on open shelves, it take me me ten mins. and also gives me the chance to alter the position of each model giving them a whole new aspect,

If your model is really soiled then some of the surgestions above must be of some help, good luck.

Gordon

I see no one mentioned cleaning riiging on the sail boats.The affore mentioned cosmetic brush is great for light dust,but the stubborn stuff needs more aggressive cleaning.I know hairy thread looks terrible,sooooooooo what I have done in the past,and I know some will be a tad shocked at this is that I fill the bath and dunk the kit.A very weak solution of washing up liquid is preferable to help,the drawback is the drying time.Also,make sure you keep the plug in so that any parts that may be inclined to do a runner,wont be lost.I have a Chebec at a mere 40 ins in length to do,as she is MANKY. :poo:

I find prevention to be the best form. Cleaning them regularly with a soft brush will prevent any of the stuborn deposits that require a more aggreasive approach.