best 1/48 AH-64D apache kit

Mike Esposito

In short- The Hasegawa AH64D, and if you get the "Royal Army" boxing you get some AAC markings in the box- be aware though that the Hasegawa kit does not contain the UK defensive aids fit (HIDAS) so you will either need aftermarket resin, Or scratch build/ cross kit with the Revell kit discussed below.

The UK Apache has several unique and prominent external features as compared with the US army model. (This is in the grand tradition of the UK buying an "off the shelf" aircraft and then shoe-horning new engines and avionics into it!)

if not put off by older toolings, the Revell Germany boxing (Kit number RV04420) based on the Monogram tool has an extra sprue with the HIDAS lumps and bumps.

The revell boxing has raised detail which is entirely appropriate for the rivet festooned Apache and builds into a nice kit, and should be a more economical route.

I havent seen the hobby boss one so cant comment, steer clear of Academy and the Italeri boxings (which has you fit "D" model EFABS (the sponsons on either side of the cockpit) over the much smaller "A" model FABS.) These kits are basically A models in disguise or MSIP prototypes that dont represent the all-up Longbow fit.

There have been several threads on BM regarding this subject so search away, and Gary1701 has probably photographed the whole fleet by now so plenty of references are available- his website is here: Gary's UK Apache Pics

its a great subject and the UK fleet has recently passed 100,000 flying hours, so a great aircraft as well.

Cheers,

Troffa

Edited by Troffa

There have been several threads on BM regarding this subject so search away, and Gary1701 has probably photographed the whole fleet by now so plenty of references are available

Gary has kindly supplied Britmodeller with a lot of his photos and they are in the Helo Walkaround section. Included in these pics is the airframe Ed macy flew when it was returned to the UK. You can see how weatherd these got.

AH%20detail%2018.jpg

Thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72723

There are also operational pictures taken In Afghanistan by BM's own Greg Buckley in the same thread.

Julien

Gary has kindly supplied Britmodeller with a lot of his photos and they are in the Helo Walkaround section. Included in these pics is the airframe Ed macy flew when it was returned to the UK. You can see how weatherd these got.

Thread: http://www.britmodel...showtopic=72723

There are also operational pictures taken In Afghanistan by BM's own Greg Buckley in the same thread.

Julien

Wow! Thanks Julien. Now I can see the differences between the US model and the UKs. Somehow, looks sleeker than the AH-64D coolio.gif

I wonder if the Hasegawa kit includes the 'carbine'???

Edited by Greg B

I doubt an Apache can ever be called sleek! :analintruder:

That pic shows it with out pylons, radar etc dont forget.

Julien

No, in the included link there are at least 50 pics. Seem the engine covers are different....maybe its my imagination.

Just like the British to take a U.S. design, add the RR engines and other avionic changes and improve it! :clap2:

No, in the included link there are at least 50 pics. Seem the engine covers are different....maybe its my imagination.

Just like the British to take a U.S. design, add the RR engines and other avionic changes and improve it! :clap2:

"Improve it" definately in inverted commas..... We had one come to Waddo when I was at the AWC and we were allowed to take a look. the Pilot told us that altho the RR engines were more powerful than the original engines, the gearboxes couldn't take all the power, certainly not in sudden bursts....

Seems like the Phantom problem all over again....We have the most powerful, but somehow, still worse than the original! :banghead:

The UK Apache was the only one in theatre to carry a meaningful warload and the Fire Control Radar. This is due to the higher power of the RTM322 installed in the AH MK1, its true that the engine was de-rated but still delivered more power than the T700's in the US and Dutch D models. I believe the US Block 3 aircraft are addressing this issue with T800's.

and Gary1701 has probably photographed the whole fleet by now so plenty of references are available- his website is here: Gary's UK Apache Pics

its a great subject and the UK fleet has recently passed 100,000 flying hours, so a great aircraft as well.

Cheers,

Troffa

Hi Mark, good to hear from you again, hope all is well. Not done to much on the AH this year yet. Weather has been so poor I just haven't been chasing them around the airfield, they don't seem to keen on coming near the fence much at the moment. I'll try and make up for it in the rest of 2012.

Mike,

The link to the Britmodeller reference topic and my own personal site has all my best pics on, but if you do take the project on and want any in a bigger size for reference just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Gary

Been searching online for the 1/48 resin update set for the MK1 apache. Can't seem to locate it.... :raincloud:

Thought I saw one with the CRV7 pods.... :unsure:

Thanks Gary. Awesome pics. :D Should do the trick if I can locate an update set. Gonna go with the Hasegawa kit. I have the markings from an old Italeri Apache kit, but not Ed Macy's tail number though.

Edited by Mike Esposito

After just reading "Dressed to kill" by Charlotte Madison (much the same as Ed Maceys book but from a womans point of view....and very good too!) I've been inspired to start my Revell Apache. I'll probably go for the Heritage set, thanks for posting the link to the pictures!

Cheers,

Carl.

After just reading "Dressed to kill" by Charlotte Madison (much the same as Ed Maceys book but from a womans point of view....and very good too!) I've been inspired to start my Revell Apache. I'll probably go for the Heritage set, thanks for posting the link to the pictures!

Cheers,

Carl.

Thinking about getting that book. Reading Macy's book now. Almost done. Exciting stuff!!!! Not so good is Osprey's Combat Aircraft : U.S. Apache units in OEF and OIF. Seems like we lose a lot more Apaches that you guys! shrug.gif

Edited by Mike Esposito

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With currently 4 x Longbows on the local range all this week, I've got the Apache bug.

Some of the local population are'nt happy with the choppers overhead all day and night, but I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

How easy is the Hasegawa kit to build, is it a lot of work?

Whats the best route for the update set =Revell cross kit or heritage set?

Shaun

Edited by Shaun

Shaun,

You're not near Odiham are you? My neck of the woods......

A quite far from there, I'm in West Wales.

The Apaches have been using Castlemartin for a pre Afganistan work up exercise, live firing with Cannon and Rockets.

With currently 4 x Longbows on the local range all this week, I've got the Apache bug.

Some of the local population are'nt happy with the choppers overhead all day and night, but I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

How easy is the Hasegawa kit to build, is it a lot of work?

Whats the best route for the update set =Revell cross kit or heritage set?

Shaun

Its not too bad to build, I've done the A model, the D model has different side bins effectively. Fit was pretty good a few smears of dissolved putty here and there and if you plan ahead you can paint the cockpit after you have buttoned up the fuselage. Definitely the best 48 scale Bird, OzH on here produced an upgrade set to provide the HIDAS fit and the rounded face rocket tubes that we use.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ian over at Heritage Aviation sells the set you are after,really nice set and not too expensive.

Regards

Dan

I've picked up one of these sets, but the conversion set has no instructions in the packet?

Can anyone point to where the small metal piece in the set goes?, I think it maybe go on one of the avionic doors?

Also what colour is the area around the main rotor head gear box, zinc cromate or the same dark green as the outside?

Shaun.

That's great, thanks OZ.

Were these notes provided in the Conversion set?

It was part 13, that confused me. I was right in presuming it was for the avionics door.

With the excellent walk round provided on this site, I should be able to build an accurate model.

I've noticed on your build you have left off the exhausts, can these be fitted after painting?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Hi Shaun

They should have been. I made the masters for this conversion and did these as the guide/instructions, Ian must have neglected to put them in your set...

Yes I think I fitted the exhaust later on, test fit is always a good idea though