I need a tow!

Ian M

Could some kind person tell me a suitable 1/35 kit for pulling a 25/17 Pheasant around in the Western Desert / Sicily-Italy.

I dont want to shell out on an expensive resin kit, so we are talking plastic here, but if the only option is resin I might just have to dig a bit deeper.

If you happen to have or know of photos of a Pheasant in the desert colours, being towed, please share...or PM me if you would rather.

Failing that, if some one in the know can tell me which units where opperating in that part of the war with the Pheasant, it might help me dig up the info I need.

Ian M

I`ve used a Tamiya GMC 2 1/2 Ton truck as towing vehicle for mine.

They were used in Italy for this job so i took the position that they were used in N Africa, too.

Not many photos of this combo so it is best guess on colour scheme, but i did mine in the colours of the time using Mike Starmers booklets.

I built my `Pheasant` from the Tamiya 25lber and the old airfix 17lber kits with suitable mods.

Looks ok to me so i`m happy.

Still got to base it, but will be shown with the driver changing a wheel after a puncture.

Malcolm

I remember once seeing a picture, in either an early Osprey or Vanguard book on Shermans in British army service, of a M4A2 gun tank towing a 25lb field gun and limber up an hill in Italy. Maybe the same happened with the "Pheasant" on occasion.

Christof

1090175[/url]']

Could the Airfix/Italeri 15cwt fit the bill, what if it was stretched to a 30cwt...

Ian M

My view would be no. Usual towing vehicle would appear to have been a Morris C8 Quad. So the Tamiya Quad would be fine or I think there was an Airfix one as well.

Peter

On this thread there's a photo of the GMC towing the 17pdr and a pretty through discussion about other possibilities. I quite like the idea of a deturreted M4A2 myself

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/threa...the+17+Pounder-

I knew i`d seen it some where.

The only problem i noticed with this photo is that the gun is a Mk2 17lber and not the `Pheasant`, but i`m sure they must have been towed by them, as older guns don`t just disappear when new ones arrive.

I`ve been in the Army and know that things don`t get chucked if they still work.

I used to drive 50`s vintage Commer Q4 trucks in the late 70`s which proves my point.

IIRC the Pheasants weren't kept in service too long after the guns with the 'proper' carriage came into service - it was to do with the barrel being 'shot out' (too worn out) and the 25-pdr carriage being over-stressed from the greater recoil.

Thinking of Sicily/Italy, how about an M5 or M9 half-track? I know I've seen such a combo in the old Ellis book on the US half-track family.

I'm planning on exactly that for my Airfix Kiwi 17-pdr.

Mouse House of Australia has a very nice conversion for the Tamiya kit and price-wise it's a much better option than the Dragon job.

(no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

HTH

Rick