Hasegawa 1/48 CF-104D

I'm sure you can make it before the end !

The finish is very nice, on my monitor however the green looks a bit light compared to pictures of the real aircrafts. True that the finish could get very worn and some scale effect helps with these overall single colour finishes.

I must admit that I had the exact same thought about the colour, a little light in comparison to the real thing:

http://www.i-f-s.nl/exerc/TIGER/104653B.jpg

But I went by the instructions and used the same FS number that was stated there. I will end up making it a little grubbier by using pastels so that should darken it up again. I have since painted the black areas and will later this evening or tomorrow spray the biege area under the nose and touch up a few areas that needed some further attention.

Had a further look at a set of instructions from my Hasegawa CF-104 signle seater and it calls for a different colour to that that the Leading Edge instructions calls for. I can confirm that the flash has made the colour look lighter and it is not as out of colour as it looks in real life. So no need to change it, leaving it as is.

Black areas are painted, and so is the small area under the nose. Need to fill a nasty seam that I thought would be hidden that sits below the tail and above the exhaust, putty was applied last night and I hope to be able to sand it tonight and give it a coat of paint. From there, decals will go on, hopefully tomorrow, so I can take it decalled to my model club meet on Saturday to get some feedback.

The overall green faded so an exact colour match will be hard to get. Do a Google image search for:

CF-104D 104653

and you'll find pics of it from the left side and it looks lighter than the other photo. Note the Tiger's head isn't there so those pics are most likely from later times.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Decals on this afternoon.

Not really impressed with the Leading Edge decals. Great to handle, but there seems to be a little bit of silvering going on that will require some more microset to try to eradicate, disappointing. Hopefully the clear coat will settle them too. Maybe the reason was a roughish surface, but I laid down two coats of clear gloss prior to application so I thought that may have sufficed...maybe not? I utilised the kit supplied decals for the red line around the engine break, mainly because the leading Edge one needed to be cut and I wasn't up for that at all. The airbrakes are simply blu tacked in at the moment, still yet to work out whether to close them or not, but the Leading Edge decals suggest they were only open for maintenance when on the ground so I will likely keep them in the closed position.

Undercarriage next, the end is nearing, should be right for the deadline, and hope to enter it in the Sydney Model Show on 3 Nov, so another reason to get it done by the GB end date.

001-21.jpg

002-25.jpg

003-27.jpg

Edited by kpc7676

I'm enjoying this build a lot!

The silvering may be because the surface still seems to be quite matt. I'm not sure what gloss coat you're using, but it doesn't really seem to do the trick.. I've had the same problem myself from time to time, but nowadays I use Future and it works brilliantly!

Otherwise, a fabulous build and I'm particularly impressed with the preshade!

The separate airbrakes are cool but for the reasons explained by Finn it was very rare to see them open. At least in the 1/48 hasegawa kit they fit fine when closed, something that can't be said for the Esci 48 and 72 kits... THe 1/72 hasegawa kit solves the problem by having them moulded closed.

Nearly there.... happy overall with the look, even if a few of the decals are still a little silvered but they are on the underside and will be taken to with some further pastels to try to dull them down. I have already applied the pastels and the silver pencil chipping, with a few more areas likely to get a touch up after I look at some further reference photos. I have also since attached the seats and really only need to paint the canopy parts, attached the AOA sensors and pitot, and do the intake covers. The pitot is a piece of work, did it with a piece of thin tape vice the decal, and it looks the piece, pics will come at the end.

And anyone think it is worthy leaving the canopy open? Detail could be a little sparse if it is, is it therefore worth it?

011-12.jpg

012-10.jpg

013-12.jpg

014-11.jpg

015-10.jpg

Estimated completion mid week.

One place that lost paint was the tips of the tip tanks. Here is a pic of a F-104S:

http://www.fighterpilots.net/images/Jocks/Ike_Italian_F104S.jpg

the CF-104 was no different. It was even wear so the area was circular, you could see the various layers of paint and primer and the bare metal was dull aluminum, almost white. It was quite rough from all the pitting the tips took, you may find photos of no wear but those are ones freshly painted and after a few low level flights they would look like the rest.

Jari

OH dear. There is nothing wrong with Leading edge decals in any way. As may have been pointed out, you really DO need a gloss base for ANY kind of decal for the carrier film to go away after some decal solution and the decal to stick. Hope it truns out right for you, but do have faith in the LE Decals!

I can understand the excitement in getting that perfect main fnish and apply the decals but control oneself and take time to get a good gloss base before decalling. Once thats done then a gentle wipe with a damp tissue to remove any solution residue nad then you can apply your final chosen matt or semi matt finish as you desire.

BTW you have done a nice job in the cockpit no matter how little you may have added, so leave the canopy open but its up to you.

Edited by Paul J

Totally agree Paul, the decals were not the fault of the manufacturer, but rather me putting them on a rough surface that I had thought would have been smoothed down enough by two coats of Gunze gloss...oh well. And I may leave the canopy open, issue is that there is a void of detail inside them that will look weird...but will see when I get to that stage.

Some completion pics, pretty happy with the end result. Need to do another one in the future as it really is a nice kit, probably a single seater. I left the FOD covers off because they didn't fit all that well at all, but everything else is attached as per the obligatory parts shots.

019-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

030-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

034-2.jpg

035.jpg