Welcome all to the F-104 STGB, group build dedicated to one of the most spectacular aircraft ever built !

The F-104 was the first Mach-2 fighter to ever enter service in any air force. When it first flew it looked like nothing else had ever looked before and even now, almost 50 years later, its shape still reminds everybody of the way people imagined the future in the '50s.

When the Starfighter entered service, the edge in performance over the existing aircrafts was impressive and soon it started to break records. The aircraft held many world record for speed, altitude and time-to-climb, often at the same time.

Later it entered service in many air forces and in its F-104G variant it became the most important "tactical" (read nuclear armed.. ) type of the NATO, so providing a huge contribution to the balance of power during the cold war. And years after the end of the cold war, it was still operational, more than 40 years after the prototype first flight.

While serving in so many air forces, the type also carried a huge number of camouflage schemes and markings. Moreover, it was one of the best canvases for special markings in many ar forces.

Last but not least: it was maybe the most controversial aircraft ever ! The high accident rate and the controversy over bribes in several export contracts brought this aircraft on the first page in the news so many times that there even songs made about it. Even today the 104 divides opinions like few aircrafts an do.

So you've got an aircraft with the looks, a true milestone in aviation history, a widely used type with an important part in the history of the 20th century, that carried many camo and special schemes and that also has a bit of a lurid underground story to make it more intetresting.... what else do you need to start thinking of building your own version of the famous "Missile with a Britmodeller in it"

:lol:

Gawd! How quickly has this come about? :undecided: I'm going to delay posting any start on this until I have reviewed where I am on all these GB's...

Andy C a sensible guy as I'm possibly setting too many hares running, but this is the ideal GB for a build I have been wanting to do since I got the decals.

I'd like to enter a 1:72 F-104G Starfighter FX-52 of the 31st Tiger Squadron, Belgian Air Force in the 1972 Tiger Meet colours.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Andy C a sensible guy as I'm possibly setting too many hares running, but this is the ideal GB for a build I have been wanting to do since I got the decals.

I'd like to enter a 1:72 F-104G Starfighter FX-52 of the 31st Tiger Squadron, Belgian Air Force in the 1972 Tiger Meet colours.

Deacon

Great, will be good to see a Tiger Meet scheme ! The Lock-On book on the F-104 has the correct scheme, if you don't have that book let me know and I'll send you a scan of the scheme,

Gawd! How quickly has this come about? :undecided: I'm going to delay posting any start on this until I have reviewed where I am on all these GB's...

Andy, not to worry: join whenever you have time. I have to say that I'll not be able to start immediately myself...

Well this is tempting, I've always liked the colour schemes that the JASDF examples wore.

No reason to resist the temptation ! :D

A Jasdf aircraft will be welcome.

To quote Dr. Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap... Oh boy. I've got a few F-104s in my stash in the main scales and have wanted an excuse to build one.

Some leading candidates I am considering include:

NASA F-104N in the white and blue scheme

NASA TF-104 in white and blue scheme (basically robbing the white and blue decals from the Hasegawa F-104N to use on the two seater)

Red Barron F-104

AFFTC rocket engined NF-104A (I've got an conversion set for it, but may table that for a bit)

Zombite fighter from an episode of Thunderbirds (it used an F-104 kit as its basis)

I'll consider my options carefully... ;)

Edited by JMChladek

Can anyone suggest a good a good source of generic stencil decals for the F104C? I've had a looking Hannants but there only seems to be NATO operators!

I believe that the only option is to find the sheet made by Victory Productions for the USAF and NASA Starfighter. Might not be easy to find...

May I join in on this? Have a kit, but unsure weather to make it as a CF-104, or a F-104J (probably the latter if i can get my hands on the Twobobs 'komatsu Starfighters' decals!)

Cheers

Dave

May I join in on this? Have a kit, but unsure weather to make it as a CF-104, or a F-104J (probably the latter if i can get my hands on the Twobobs 'komatsu Starfighters' decals!)

Cheers

Dave

Dave, you're welcome to join !

Looks like both the canadian and japanese starfighters will be well represented, not surprising considering their colour scheme !

Dont' forget that the group build has now started ! My models will have to wait a week or so before I can actually start, but I hope to see some other models being built in the meantime.

Dont' forget that the group build has now started ! My models will have to wait a week or so before I can actually start, but I hope to see some other models being built in the meantime.

I am ready to go, may get a start this afternoon all going well, if not through the week sometime. Thoroughly looking forward to the challenges it will present me.

FINALLY a GB for my favorite plane in the world. I plan on a single & dual seat European 104. I have always loved this jet and look forward to sharing my interest with others of my favorite plane :)

Cheers Brian(F-104nut)

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I have to apologize for having disappeared for a few days, I had to leave for a while and had no internet connection... good to see there have been several new builds started in the meantime !!!

Edited by Giorgio N

Hi, sorry for sounding a bit lost, but I am interested in joining this Groupbuild!

It's my first one here, so how do I join? Can I sign up here?

You just signed up by showing your interest here !

To take part, just start a thread where you'll show your progress. Welcome to the F-104 STGB !!!

• 5 weeks later...

Just a note to say that I signed up for this GB (and the V Bomber) but due to my resigning from my job and starting up a new firm from scratch my modelling time is shot as need to ensure cash coming in to put food on table while running around all the red tape issues. I get about 5 mins on the site during the odd lull so apologies to all for letting the side down. If I do get some time I'll have a crack at one in the stash - promise

JohnT

Guys.

Just about to put the intake pieces over the splitter plates of my CF-104D, and was just wondering if there was a panel line along this join, or will I have to fill it?

Hope to hear from someone asap, want to get to the painting stage over this weekend.

Cheers in advance.