F-104 Reference thread

Yes, as far as I know all NMF aircraft had white/aircraft grey wings. The flap fillets (fuselage side) were then YZC on the mating surfaces. As for the mating surfaces of the flaps I'd go for white, as this appears to be the "dominant" colour - the wing outer edge was white for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor point, the fairings under the nose and tail of the CF-104 weren't ECM but RHWR antennas. Also for those building a CF-104 using the Hasegawa 1/48 kit, part R9 is the external delinker, it was rarely carried as it's use precluded anything from being carried on the c/l pylon. I only installed one, and that was on my CF-104 Armament course, we had them available in Baden but they mostly sat around gathering dust.

Jari

• 1 month later...

F-104S help.

My understanding is (was!) that all S models had the gun removed and faired over due to the Sparrow datalink kit being put into the gun bay. This can be seen in the links included in GiorgioN's thread. This pic has confused me now:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy---Air/Lockheed-(Aeritalia)-F-104S/0469920/L/&sid=e5c34268ce75366b3f954608b9e41c3c

Was this a later change to the type? I thought the 'S' reflected primarily the Sparrow capability?

btw - look at the amount of up-elevator/nose-up trim that's been applied!

cheers

Rick

Rick, sorry for this late reply, however the S did not all have the gun removed. The S version came in 2 subversions, CI and CB.

The CI (caccia intercettore, fighter interceptor) had no gun as the room was required for the equipment related to the Sparrow

The CB (caccia bombardiere, fighter bomber) retained the gun and had no sparrow capability. These aircrafts were used mainly for strike and ground attack although a few were used as fighters (for example those of the 37 Stormo in Trapani).

Several of Italian Air Force "Stormo" (wings) had 2 "Squadriglia! (squadron) and usually one of them was tasked with interception and the other with GA, so the same Stormo often had both versions. Stormo insignia was on the tail while the Squadriglia insignia was usually on the air intakes. Some wings had a single squadron though.

• Like 2