Airfix 1/24 kits.

jacksdad

With the Mosquito getting a lot of BM press at the moment due to ModelZone's bargain price I was having a google at some old reviews e.t.c. I came across a thread on the Airfix Forum site where someone was asking which 1/24 was best. So I thought I would do something similar on here.

Now I have at one point or another had my paws on all of their 1/24 kits, except the Sea Harrier. Now despite some of them having their own little 'challenges' I do not remember not enjoying them. There is also quite a few builds I want to do using them so I will be buying more in the future.

So I was wondering what everyone else's memories and top three are. With that in mind here is my top three. And remember opinions are like chocolate star-fish..........everyone has one. :analintruder:

Nummero UNO - Mosquito. The legendary kit finally arrived after years of "do you really think they will do it?" and my goodness it was worth the wait. In my opinion Airfix's finest kit ever. Yes it's not perfect (name me a kit that is?) but what a beauty!! There are a few versions I would love to do (and have the room for) but I am going to have to settle for the Sea Mosquito using the Alley Cat conversion. I am so looking forward to that one. After that are the Tse-Tse and NF versions.

Nummer ZWEI - Junkers Ju87B Stuka. Quite simply a fantastic kit to build, super detail and its not until you put a figure beside it that you realise how big an aircraft it was.

Nummer DREI - Focke Wulf FW190A - A purely selfish choice as this is my all-time favourite aircraft. I have built a few of these and will be building a few more. Yes it has its issues, especially the engine fit thing. I don't care. Do you really want a kit that does not require you to 'fix' something? Wheres the fun/satisfaction in that? My next one will be super detailed using the FW190A-8 maintenance manual as a guide and I can't wait.

I know that none of the 1/24 kits are perfect. But surely part of the fun is fixing them. I believe the term is called 'modelling' (saw this in another thread and thought it was spot on) Who cares that Airfix don't do 1/32 aircraft when they do these beauties.

So, there you have my thruppence worth. What do you guys n' gals think?

Steve

Totally agree with your number one choice,

Interestingly IMHO it is the best kit ever released, simply because for me there is a perfect amount of extra work involved to make everyone thats built ever so slightly different but keep the build interesting and fun ( i think the Tamiya Spit in 32nd is superb and arguably a better kit but not , for me, a better build as it is so well engineered it takes some of the fun out of modelmaking and becomes an assembly /paint excercise.)

Agree with your number two choice also.

The only resason my number three differs is i would place the airfix Spit there, simply because i think, built SOOTB it has a fantastic look and feel to it in terms of shape and surface patina that i still love and feel looks perfect even with all the better kits that have arrived subsequently, its still IMHO the best Spit on the market.

Mark

Picture037.jpg

l did the Ju-87 and found it very accurate and fit was spot on. l got the Fw-190 l have to get back too and the Hurricane but still want the Spitfire and the Mustang at some point

Picture037.jpg

l did the Ju-87 and found it very accurate and fit was spot on. l got the Fw-190 l have to get back too and the Hurricane but still want the Spitfire and the Mustang at some point

now that is nice!!

Surely when it comes to making models the best kit is the one your making at the time.

I respectfully have to disagree ... it is only the best until you get to hate it! Never left anything unfinished?

But it was fun when I years ago began to kane the 109E 1/24 by Airfix, having bought the book about how to superdetail it (also published by Airfix). Sadly, I have to move when it was on the table, and it never got finished.

NPLemche

Based on my only three experiences so far;

1, Spitfire I - lots of fun, lots of detail, nice fit.

2, Harrier GR.1 - A big kit of my favourite aeroplane with only minor issues to address and plenty scope for extra detail if I ever get another chance to build one.

3, 109 E - Another kit with plenty detail suplied in the box but had some issues with fit of the engine cowls that marked down the enjoyment factor for me at the time.

Have the Sea Harrier in the stash to do some day so the list may change come time.

1 - Spitfire Mk.1, it was the first 1/24 I got (as a kid which dad then built for me - sneaky).

2 - Harrier GR1, fits like a pig in places but its a Harrier and whenever I see built-up examples at shows I still have that six-year-old sense of wonder and think "I'll make one of them when I'm grown up" despite the fact I've built two!

3 - Mossie, just for the sheer balls that Airfix finally did it and the size of the thing.

Stuka and Hurri are fighting in there for the that third spot though!

1- Stuka- big, mean looking, accurate and builds nicely.

2- Mossie- even bigger, superb engines and gun bay details

3- Hurricane- love the way the warren framing builds up and the fabric on the fuselage was treated really nicely.

The spitfire is good but needs an additional spar in the wing otherwise they build up with no dihedral which looks so wrong, and the thin nose of the mustang ruins what could have been a stunner. The FW190 doesn't fit very well, I love the Harrier- the shape is spot on but it needs a fair bit of detail added to stop it looking toy like.

1 - Mossie - many people have alleged various issues with the cockpit and the engines, but you can say that (even more so) with all of the 1/24 range

2 - Sea Harrier - because it is a great kit of one my favourite planes

3 - Stuka - Wow!!!

I've always been dubious about the canopy shape in the Spitfire, and the lack of wheel wells sides in the early kits is inexcusable.

I have the Me 109E-3/4 in the stash, and the fit problems a number of people have referred to are quite evident but hey, I'm a model builder, not an assembler.

My three

1, De Havilland Mosquito. I really must dig it out of my stash and get started again. I've got the metal gear for it and the alternate marking sheet too.

2. Hawker Harrier GR1. I first built one of these during the mid-seventies, looks every inch a Harrier and very imposing in that scale. The nose leg is a bit dodgy but we can't have everything.

3. Hawker Hurricane. Also first built in the mid-seventies and couldn't get over the fit quality at the time, given the size of the kit. All for three quid too, from Woolies.

As others have said the Stuka is also very good and I do have a soft spot for the Spitfire kit which I think is excellent given the age of the kit.

Edited by avro683

From the ones ive built I'd go:

1. Spitfire Vb the mould is tired but it was fun.

2. Stuka - a big old beast!

3. Hurricane- beautiful kit and again fun to build.

To add a suggestion for a new 1/24th i think an Me 110 i would agree with the 'its too big' arguments but i would love to do it all the same.

Edited by davem

As I shall soon be the owner of three: :D

Mossie

Mossie and

Mossie

Graham oh and by the way also liked the Harrier GR1 and Mustang

Needless to say, the Airfix Mosquito tops the list. The next, in order of preferance

2) Ju 87B

3) Bf 109 E

Concluding the top three, but continuing:

4) Hurricane

5) Spitfire

6) Fw 190

7) P-51

I count the Harrier in last due to the fact I have no interest in the aircraft.

Mark Proulx

The Mosquito is unaffordable at present. Looks lovely though!

I don' really have a favourite Airfix 1/24. I've built all the others over the years but, if pushed My top 3 would be

Hurricane

Ju 87

FW 190.

Fit issues notwithstanding, I think they are all very worthy kits . I don't imagine Airfix will invest in NEW 1/24 tools for all these kits but, I think they are all worthy of consideration for a retool/upgrade.

I still have a 1/24 Harrier AND the Flightpath set which I bought some considerable time back!! Lol!! One of these days.............................!!!!! :D

The Mosquito is unaffordable at present. Looks lovely though!

I don' really have a favourite Airfix 1/24. I've built all the others over the years but, if pushed My top 3 would be

Hurricane

Ju 87

FW 190.

Fit issues notwithstanding, I think they are all very worthy kits . I don't imagine Airfix will invest in NEW 1/24 tools for all these kits but, I think they are all worthy of consideration for a retool/upgrade.

I still have a 1/24 Harrier AND the Flightpath set which I bought some considerable time back!! Lol!! One of these days.............................!!!!! :D

You do know Modelzone are doing the Mosquito for £50 at the moment?

My Mosquito has just been deliverd from Modelzone at the price of £49.99 inc delivery . When compared with my little Hasegawa 1/72 JU88g6 costing £35.00 i recon it must be at the other end of the value scale. The instructions look to be superb and clear ,the other end of the scale from the Dragon 1/32 bf110 . So the mosie gets 1st place

I have built the JU87 and it goes together very well with min fit issues and looks fantastic so it gets 2nd

My father built the spitfire mk 1 for me when i was a boy around 40 yrs ago and it took pride of place on my ceiling for years so it gets the 3rd place.

OK if I were to go in order of, IMO, awsesomeness of the entire range, it would be:

1 - Mossie

2 - Stuka

3 - Hurricane

4 - Harrier

5 - Spitfire

6 - Me 109E

7 - P-51D

But that list is different to what would be my favourites!

You do know Modelzone are doing the Mosquito for £50 at the moment?

Unsurprisingly as rare as rocking horse poop at the moment.

Not helped by me who got two delivered yesterday :yahoo:

And truely excellent service from Modelzone to (ordered Friday delivered Tuesday).

Graham