Spitfire K5054

Hi all.

I know this is't a scale model as such but wanted to share the build with you and hope you find it interesting.

The plans were scaned from Model Airplane News August, 1940, which I found on the internet many years ago and did nothing with until now and with the school holidays here my wee lad asked if there was a plane we could build together, so here we are.

DSCF0127.jpg

Some parts of this Spitfire aren't to scale but that's so it can fly, just a bit of fun really. We are hoping to finish her as K5054 in Supermarine Blue.

Most of the fuselage has been constructed and only the engine cowling area to be filled in with balsa sheet and sanded,

DSCF0133.jpg

All the bulkheads and stringers where made from 1/16 inch balsa.

More soon, thanks for looking.

Fascinating - I've added this to my watch list and will thoroughly enjoy seeing the build progress.

Thanks for the reply, but not only do I have the pressure of a 7 year old but the modelling community also. Don't be expect too much though it's taken 2 weeks to get to this stage.

Cheers.

That brings back memories when I was about seven my Father had a production line( he never did things by halves) going making and rebuilding the ones I crashed I think we had about four in the end. I still remember the smell of balsa cement and him holding the things over the kettle( I think) to make the tissue paper to shrink but I could be mistaken on that! Hours of winding the prop for a 15 second flight!

In those days(early 50's) you could go into the Toy/Model shop(opposite the Florida Cinema in Tottenham) and buy just the transfers(not decals) and the guy would just cut them off a big sheet for you, that went for all the solid balsa models as well. Obviously a bit basic but if you had Russian,American or British aircraft that was good enough. No German or Japanese though the war had only been over seven years and they were dirty words.

PS Dont forget the pins to hold the wings to the pattern while the wings dry or they will warp!!!

That brings back memories when I was about seven my Father had a production line( he never did things by halves) going making and rebuilding the ones I crashed I think we had about four in the end. I still remember the smell of balsa cement and him holding the things over the kettle( I think) to make the tissue paper to shrink but I could be mistaken on that! Hours of winding the prop for a 15 second flight!

In those days(early 50's) you could go into the Toy/Model shop(opposite the Florida Cinema in Tottenham) and buy just the transfers(not decals) and the guy would just cut them off a big sheet for you, that went for all the solid balsa models as well. Obviously a bit basic but if you had Russian,American or British aircraft that was good enough. No German or Japanese though the war had only been over seven years and they were dirty words.

PS Dont forget the pins to hold the wings to the pattern while the wings dry or they will warp!!!

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the advice, this has been our first crack at this sort of thing and a few mistakes have been made already so will keep it in mind.

Cheers.

That really takes me back! I haven't built a flying model since I was at school and thats' more decades ago than I care to remember! I shall be watching this one.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

It's been a while but what with work and other commitments it's been difficult to get on but a little and often has seen me get this far. The front end of fuselage has now been completed as below.

P1030328.jpg

P1030330.jpg

All the panels had to be cut indiviually and shaped and then finally sanded.

P1030333.jpg

So thats it for now hopefully get the tailend and the nose of the fuselage finished off this weekend so hopefully another update early next week.

All the best and thanks for looking.

Edited by mrchud

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All.

I have finally managed to finish the fuselage of this model, at last!!! I really don't know where the time goes, so much for having this done in a weekend but it's taken a month. What should I expect with a wife with a broken leg a 7 year old son to entertain and his bedroom to decorate a Labrador to walk and any other chores to do, Ah bliss! Turned out there wasn't much to do Just the nose to shape, leading edge wing root and the trailing edge wing root I thought these were going to be more complex than they actually turned out to be. I've also started on the tail and it just needs to set and then some final shaping and It'll be ready to be cemented to the fuselage. Sorry no photos of this yet I'll try and get them taken in the next night or two. Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this WIP I hope when I get it finished it isn't a disapointment.

Cheers.

Edited by mrchud

This takes me back to the good old day's (early 60s) and I remember trying my hand at these balsa models usually with little success. I hope your son is enjoying this as I'm sure you are laying down the foundations for a life long hobby to say nothing of the sweet memory he will keep.

best wishes

Mike