Poly Cement

paul178

I have just bu**ered up one of my best builds through impatience. I could not get any cement to come out of the needle on two bottles of poly cement one Revel contactia and two humbrol Poly. How do you keep the needles clear it seems a constant battle to me?

So the last bit on the complete build was putting the canopy on I managed to press it down to remove a slight gap and bent the tail wheel. So I removed the needle and droped some (I thought glue into the tail wheel hole to reinforce it. Then the plonker that I am picked it up and inspected it. The poly was still wet and ran down the fusalage and onto the starboard markings which disolved into a mess of future and silver acrylic. The paintwork I can save but the decal is destroyed. Any Ideas where I can get the decal( its the new Airfix1/72 Mk 22 in 605 colours)

Depressed does not come near how I am feeling at the moment. It had been a happy day until now!

I have just bu**ered up one of my best builds through impatience. I could not get any cement to come out of the needle on two bottles of poly cement one Revel contactia and two humbrol Poly. How do you keep the needles clear it seems a constant battle to me?

So the last bit on the complete build was putting the canopy on I managed to press it down to remove a slight gap and bent the tail wheel. So I removed the needle and droped some (I thought glue into the tail wheel hole to reinforce it. Then the plonker that I am picked it up and inspected it. The poly was still wet and ran down the fusalage and onto the starboard markings which disolved into a mess of future and silver acrylic. The paintwork I can save but the decal is destroyed. Any Ideas where I can get the decal( its the new Airfix1/72 Mk 22 in 605 colours)

Depressed does not come near how I am feeling at the moment. It had been a happy day until now!

Sorry to hear that - very unfortunate. Hope someone can answer your call on the decal - haven't got the kit (yet).

On the issue of how to keep the needles clear: I have some very thin wire, which I push through at the end of a session to clear it, before putting on the blue lid (Revell). Hope that helps... next time!

Alternatively, try the tamiya extra thin instead - easier, better...problem is, you have to get it by mail from Hong Kong (Lucky Model have it).

Philip

Hi paul

In reply to your query around getting replacement decals for the F22. I have just bought the Airfix kit and probably won't use the kit decals as I have the Xtradecal sheet so you are very welcome to what you need. Drop me a line and I'll send them to you.

I feel your pain! I don't know if this will help you to feel better, but the tailwheel on that kit is pretty flimsy - no wonder it broke. I was planning on just replacing it with something sturdier and saving the kit tailwheel for a more suitable aircraft like a Piper Cub or Tiger Moth!

Anyway, as has already been suggested, liquid cement bottles with metal needles can be cleaned up pretty well just by holding the tip in the flame of a match or candle, but be careful - the stuff is flammable. I also find that sometimes storing the bottle upside down (so that the tip is down) helps to stop it from happening again.

John

Hi paul

In reply to your query around getting replacement decals for the F22. I have just bought the Airfix kit and probably won't use the kit decals as I have the Xtradecal sheet so you are very welcome to what you need. Drop me a line and I'll send them to you.

PM sent