Just finished this one, new Airfix kit in 1/72 of the Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22, kit A02033, which I picked up down at LSA Models.

Done from the box other than modifying the prop mounting by using a piece of rod allowing it slot into a piece of tube in the fuselage hole providing easy removal for storage (spins well too, pic below with moving prop is not photoshop but the prop freewheeling in the wind)

Kit went together well, I attached UC legs and doors before painting. I had trouble (self inflicted) with the canopy where I cracked the windscreen part and took off too much plastic when cleaning up both the opening section options but acquired a replacement sprue from Airfix so all OK in the end.

Silver is Humbrol 11 Acrylic spray can I wanted to test, went on well but highlighted some poor finishing of joints on my part. I sprayed some into a pot to brush paint canopy frame (I assumed acrylic spray would clean up with water\soap but needed thinners to clean up brush which was a surprise). Details painted with Lifecolor\Citadel\Tamiya by brush, MIG wash used sparingly to add subtle shading to panel lines (doesn't show up well in pics) and UC bays.

Decals were applied direct to the glossy number 11 finish then sealed with Valejo Satin Varnish spray can before the wash. Just realised I have missed off decals for canopy frame, need to fix that before next weeks model club meeting!

Hope you enjoy

s22_1.jpg

s22_2.jpg

s22_3.jpg

s22_4.jpg

s22_5.jpg

s22_6.jpg

s22_0.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Nice build! If the silver showed up issues with the seams then they're not too obvious from here!

I believe from what Edgar tells me that the wheel wells on the Spit 22 are green, but I shouldn't worry, it doesn't much detract from a good model. Inspires me to get on with mine! (just on the interior painting stage)

The wash seem uneven and I guess you could add more, particulary on the top side of things. Not that I know how to apply a wash myself, haven't tried it yet. I hope a sealing coat isn't stricly necessary for applying a wash, else it will become too complicated for my taste as of present, since I will keep painting with a brush until I can buy myself a compressor for my airbrush.

I am mesmerized by the photo of the spinning prop. :) Also, I am reminded of how I should refrain from gluing on the tiny parts on the underside of the wing until I get the round decals in place.

Edited by Decoman

The wash seem uneven and I guess you could add more, particulary on the top side of things.

Yes, the more I look at it I need to tweak it and even things out, good thing is with MIG wash you can clean up anytime with thinner

I hope a sealing coat isn't stricly necessary for applying a wash, else it will become too complicated for my taste as of present, since I will keep painting with a brush until I can buy myself a compressor for my airbrush.

For the MIG washes (which I gather are enamel based), over acrylics (you can't use them on enamel paint otherwise wash will attack paint) you need a satin finish. On a matt finish the wash is hard (or impossible sometimes!) to clean up as it grabs the microscopic roughness of matt finish. Too glossy and it doesn't stay in place which I think is what has happened here.

I usually seal the decals before a wash so that I don't rip them off whilst cleaning up\refining the wash with thinners dipped cotton buds\kitchen towel. I think the Satin Valejo spray can varnish may be too glossy in this case which is why the wash hasn't settled

I mainly brush paint including varnish (Lifecolor Satin before a wash is my preference), I had what I think are better results with my Airfix Curtis Hawk but a Sea Harrier turned out too harsh using same technique.

Edited by cjhm