Revell 1:48 Spit Mk XVI

Thanks for the info Miggers, not nicking the thread at all - if i had found out all this info before i started i would have saved a lot of time (but possibly wouldnt have been as fun) :)

Look forward to seeing how your printed decals come out, its not something i have had a try at yet but can defiantely see a few future builds it would help!

Time for an update....

After much rolling of blu tack and cutting of little bits of tape we are masked up for the tamiya RAF green (there must be a less laborious and more environmentally way of masking up than this but its the only way i have found that doesnt reveal a unexpected bit of overspray!)

SAM_2923.jpg

Green all sprayed then the fun part of peeling it off and hoping nothings bled under the tape....

SAM_2927.jpg

SAM_2928.jpg

Wooohoo - now on to masking the walkways....

Edit:

Out of interest does anyone out there have a better pic of walkways on a late mark spit, i found this one on the net of the plane i'm building and it clearly shows a thick black walkway but cant make out how wide, if its completely straight etc..

308_Spits.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

Edited by stoohoo

Try these Stu.

http://www.airliners...89df3ec5591ad7a

One of my very favorite Spits,MK356 in her wartime 443 Sqn colours pulling topside just for you mate :D

And 66 powered highback LF.XI,the lovely(well she was when Mr S.Grey owned her)

ML417 also in her 443Sqn warpaint:

http://www.airliners...dcebe70e4d2fda0

Edited by Miggers

Cheers for the links Miggers, I have also been told by Edgar it could have been a patch up job in the field with a darker green and obviously I cant see if it has it on ZFM right in the foreground....

Sooo in the face of overwhelming uncertainty (and not wanting to risk messing up a paint job that i'm fairly happy with :)) I think I'm going to chicken out on the walkways for now, got the clear coat on last night so hopefully crack on with the decalling later :)

Cheers, Stu

Just a little update, decals all on now, they are the ones supplied in the kit and settled down beautifully with microsol/set. Sealed with last coat of future last night so hopefully get sludge wash on tonight then time to finish the last little bits off

SAM_2950.jpg

SAM_2951.jpg

Also got the fishtail exhaust hollowed out with the tip of a sharp scalpel blade, they have been sprayed a mix of revell anthracite and

G/W boltgun, then washed with smoke and weathered with orange white and grey pastels - though i really do need to get better lighting for pics :)

SAM_2953.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

Cheers guys, been really enjoying this build, its a lovely kit - now itching to get another spit on the go :)

Bit more of an update, got the sludge wash on and a light overspray of thinned grey, managed to get a couple of pics in some better light..

SAM_2954_zps9589db78.jpg

SAM_2955_zps5c851f77.jpg

SAM_2956_zps624c9385.jpg

Now onto the last little bits and hoping no last minute disasters.. matt coat then done,

Cheers again, Stu :)

Edited by stoohoo

Your build inspired me to buy the Revell IX C/XVI which arrived in the post this morning. My wife answered the door and asked me what was in the package. I told her that it was my new mouse for my computer that I'd been expecting. "A very big box for a small mouse" she said. I just smiled. I've now been told that I have no more room left on my model shelf for any more "stash". I'm expecting a RAF Tomahawk II. Mmmmhh.... Don't know how I'm going to explain that one. A really superb bold and an inspiring one. I hope that my Va turns out half as good

• Like 1

Thanks for the really kind comments Sean - got to admit that i'm a bit taken aback that i could inspire someone to do anything lol :)

Glad you got the kit though - i promise you wont be disappointed! Re: the stash - i get the same - arent you going to build the others before you get any more... but then another bargain comes up that cant be missed, i'm sure when i get the lottery jackpot and jack in working for a living i will be able to up my build pace :)

Looking forward to seeing your Va on here!

Anyways, finally finished her over the weekend (not before managing to spill glue under the cowl and having to strip and patch up a bit - constant self induced mishaps!!!!!)

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments and, knowledge and help that you have given me along the way, i have had great fun with this one :)

Will stick a pic below and add a link to RFI post once i have got it on,

Cheers, Stu

SAM_2969_zps954fd599.jpg

Stu,

My Va is on the bench and is a major restoration project. My scriber and dymo tape arrived today. I got too enthusiastic with some modelling putty. All good. Had a go and the lines are back on the one wing. I just have to do the other. The cockpit is great. I am really pleased with that. This is a learning build. I am having airbrush issues so I will keep everyone posted. I of course want a new camera £380. She who must be obeyed does not understand why I want to spend so much money when photography is not my main hobby….

She looks good enough to jump in and go for a ride there Stu.

You've been rumbled there Sean lad ^_^ .I bet all odd looking packages with be carefully

censored and shaken to see if it rattles :lol: .

Afraid so Miggers :badmood:

Cheers guys :)

Stu,

My Va is on the bench and is a major restoration project. My scriber and dymo tape arrived today. I got too enthusiastic with some modelling putty. All good. Had a go and the lines are back on the one wing. I just have to do the other. The cockpit is great. I am really pleased with that. This is a learning build. I am having airbrush issues so I will keep everyone posted. I of course want a new camera £380. She who must be obeyed does not understand why I want to spend so much money when photography is not my main hobby….

Got to admit Sean i never realised that when i got back into modelling i would need to invest in photography to, only using the family digital camera at the mo but might get a light tent sometime soon as i can never seem to get decent light in the house - its either that or build and then wait til summer to take pics :)

Well I would say she looks awesome. Well done juggling kids and models ain't easy. What's next????

Kev.

Cheers Kev - definately not easy :) i reckon i'm probably at the best age at the mo though as they are both young enough to be in bed by 8 (give or take illnesses and teething) which gives a couple of hours before it gets too late, i suppose thats only get shorter as time goes by!

Mind you I have to take my hat off to you, 4 under the belt and one of them only a few weeks old and your still making great progress!

Next up I want to make a concerted effort on that hobbyboos TA152 thats part started and looking all lonely in the modelling box but got a real temptation to get the airfix spit mkXII out of the stash, having a couple on the go seems to be a nice way to do things and stop from getting bogged down with tedious sanding...

Cheers again, Stu