Vulcan colours?

wellsprop

Hi,

I have the 1/72nd Vulcan XH558 and the Humbrol 164 grey is WAY too dark to be the correct colour for the Vulc. Does anyone know of a better colour? I'm thinking about Humbrol 64 but it doesn't look like the best match.

The green is Humbrol 163 and it looks OK but I'm still not sure whether 30 would be better?

Help?

Regards,

Ben.

Hi,

I have the 1/72nd Vulcan XH558 and the Humbrol 164 grey is WAY too dark to be the correct colour for the Vulc. Does anyone know of a better colour? I'm thinking about Humbrol 64 but it doesn't look like the best match.

The green is Humbrol 163 and it looks OK but I'm still not sure whether 30 would be better?

Help?

Regards,

Ben.

If you are building XH558 as she is now, then she should be in Glossy Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green overall in wraparound. I think 164 is Medium Sea Grey(?) and for heavens sake DON'T use Humbrol 30!! Not for anything with an RAF roundel on it! Humbrol 163 is fine for RAF Dark Green...

Just as a word of advice on Vulcan colours....The standard wrap around scheme found on service Vulcans was Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green....XH558 never had the wrap around scheme in RAF front-line (i.e non-display) service, she was Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey (and prior to that White overall).

AHHHHHH Thanks :) Medium Sea Grey is 165 (I think). Humbrol 163 and humbrol 165 rattle cans it is! So 163 is better than 30 for ANYTHING RAF? I use 30 for my Spitfires, Hurris and all things WWII.

G'day wellsprop,

Humbrol 30,for my entire modelling career,is closer to an RLM colour than any BS381\c offering.I only understood this recently.

When Humbrol took on the Airfix paint line back in 1982 or so I think a few things were lost in translation.For years there were equivalents quoted that,

although not accurate,were the meat of the conversion charts provided in the kits.

Kids like me knew no better and followed these religiously.I was so pleased when I found Humbrol 163 and 164.

Some Humbrol colours are still valid matches for RLM,ANA and BS381 amongst others,some are not.This continues to be discussed at length around here regularly.

The Vulcan,in keeping with its role in life,obeys its own rules on colour and markings and equipment fit.A good photo is your friend.

I know theres a lot to do with rolling out models at Airfix but I do sometimes just wish they could be a tad more accurate. I can't remember the last time I used the instructions to build an Airfix kit. Nowadays I just by a book about the aircraft I'm making and do some reading on the internet to find out what it was really like. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist. I haven't yet come across an Airfix kit that can't be made to look fairly good with a bit of TLC (albeit I haven't yet tried the Paul Boulton Defiant). The Vulcan has definitely grown on me recently, just wish I could see her again.

• 1 year later...