1/48 Eduard Mig 21 SMT/SM - FINISHED

Well I um'd and ah'd about a second build, with a fairly substantial project for my first build and the H4H GB in full swing, plus F104 GB coming up fast!! But you can never have too many on the go!

I then had to decide what to build, had to be from the stash (self imposed build what I've got rule until after we get married!). I looked at a Roden Mohawk and decided I need an easier build. Then there's the Tamiya Skyraider, deffinately ticks the easy build box, but there's a couple of those going already. Then I noticed this beastie:

8e7cbefc.jpg

The Mig 21 with the middle aged spread! Loaded with air to ground weapons, and according to the books I've got these were used in Afghanistan supporting Rissian ground forces. From the builds I've seen it goes together a dream so I think this fits the bill perfectly.

Ive got a bunch of aftermarket bits I got cheaply from a fellow BMer, but of course the cockpit is for the MF version! So this will be OOB with the exception of these bits:

abea80c8.jpg

A canopy mask and metal Pitot, plus this little chap

84632ef3.jpg

A very nice pilot figure from a Russian company called Gunsmoke, I'm not planning on building it in flight but he'll hide the fact I'll be using the decals in the cockpit!

Sprue shots:

27f15f16.jpg

b22db223.jpg

0fb329ce.jpg

1953a383.jpg

Lots of plastic, a fair bit of which will end up in the spares!

I've had to make my self finish some other projects that are littering the bench before I start but I'm nearly there now so hope to get going soon!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

I got him from a website in Russia, cost as much for P&P as it did for the figures, then as much again as they only take western union! I've since found that Armory sell them:

http://armory.in.ua/index.php?cPath=35_76_...40a94f9e7fd0023

You get 2 figures in a pack, one seated one standing, both very nice!

Phil

Cheers!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! For a weekend edition it seems like I've been working on this for ages! Great kit though, certainly not complaining!

2919de82.jpg

Here's the pit just about there, the picture washes the colour out horribly! But you can see its a pretty good match for decal. I used the plastic parts where I could but no choice for side panels. Makes little difference once I close it all up with pilot in anyway I expect.

Engines done as well so should close it all up tomorrow, plus gear wells ready so wings can be closed up too. Progress should move on quickly now.

I've also decided to make a base to mount it on, I have a cunning plan for making the Soviet Hex concrete tiles, watch this space!

Phil

Only one entry to concentrate on now so I've made good progress,

9d77d3f0.jpg

All together pretty much, horizontal stabs left off so I can paint metailcs around the jet exhaust.

I decided to add a little more AM and ordered the quick boost air scoops set.

I also made and interesting discovery with the pilot, he's a little large to be 1/48 I think!! More like 1/32! I had real trouble getting him to fit and he just looked to tall in cockpit! I happened to put him down next to my F104 pilot and noticed the difference! So plan B, rob the seat from the resin pit I've got and use that, with canopy closed!

Not much time to do anything this week now but will update when I can!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents, yes got to love that lurid cockpit colour, I'm sure there was a good reason why they chose it.

Anyway here's an update, she's all together now and primed, plus the greens on the various dielectric panels

99969F97-8DD3-40A5-84BE-1A087F4EA46E-11975-0000080312E38E52.jpg

First time I've tried Mr Surfacer 1200 through the airbrush and it won't be the last! Just a few small areas needed some attention, they're dealt with and the first of the light Camo colours is on, light sand (actually GSI flesh). I really like these paints I think I've settled on these as my brand now, with a few Tamiya chucked in.

I've also sorted my airbrush at last so I think I'll have a go at free hand Camo on this one.

Incidently if anyone's wondering why I haven't started with the underside, there's 2 good reasons, firstly the paint I need is on a slow boat from Taipei and second it's one of the darker colours of the whole scheme anyway!

Second brown tonight I hope

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, Camo on, 5 colours in total freehand airbrushed! Took a few evenings! Still one area of overspray I need to touch up.

CAE9F80C-2A59-42FA-B427-C2908D8097E5-1646-000000BB95C1A976.jpg

Not 100% accurate to the plans but I'm happy!

Very timely the underside blue/grey arrived today so I can paint that this weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick further update, got the underside colour on over weekend, it's an odd combo with top colours but I kind of like it!

2449B08A-D62B-4CE1-90E3-B1C4992108D9-3621-000002DAB79AED1C.jpg

I used blue tac to mask demarkation this time, but it looked odd with free hand Camo so I softened it freehand.

Turned out ok I think!

I'll give it a few days to fully cure then I'll gloss coat it for decals.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...