Williams FW15C

With the plethora of F1 builds on the forum at the moment I decided to get one of my many unbuilt Tameo kits out and have some fun.

The kit is of the Williams FW15c that Alan Prost won the 1993 World Championship in before retiring from the sport. It represents the European GP car that raced at Donnington in that famous wet race where Senna drove a blistering opening lap from the start to go from 5th to first in very wet conditions, winning by almost a minute and half from Hill. I will probably not built that particular car as it didn't carry the full sponsors livery due to advertising regulations.

In my haste I took a picture of the kit contents but then deleted it. For the record the kit consists of white metal body aFnd floor plan, 4 sheets of PE, 16 turned metal parts, some smaller white metal bits and 8 rubber tyres (a set of slicks and a set of wets). There are also two sheets of decals, one in a black plastic bag containing the missing sponsors logos.

First area was to build up the suspension, brake and hub for each corner.

PE front brake duct for one side.

IMG_0006.jpg

4 built parts ready for priming.

IMG_0008-2.jpg

Front wing built

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Rear wing part built, ready for black paint. Some of the elements are white and these will be painted separately and added later.

IMG_0005-2.jpg

The wheels are really nice turned metal parts with PE inserts.

IMG_0012-1.jpg

The completed corners of the car. We're flush in our house, could only find a 5p for comparison!

IMG_0016.jpg

Final bit was to start painting the body, after a coat of grey then t coats of white primer some colour was added. The car's scheme is blue, white and yellow. The kit has decals for the white and yellow but due to the shape they don't go down well so I decided to paint all three so some nice masking to come.

Anyway by the end of the weekend I had managed to get the yellow and white on.

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Final shot is with a Tamiya paint pot to give you some idea of the size.

IMG_0010-1.jpg

The intention is to build a small pit diorama with a couple of mechanics round the car as it sits in the pit garage with Prost talking to his engineer.

Thanks for looking. Comments as always welcome.

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Thanks Dave,

This is one of their "standard" kits, about 80 parts, they also do a range of World Championship cars that can have upwards of 300 parts. Lift off body work, detailed engines and still in 1/43rd Scale. Fun to build thought!

Frank, it depends with these kits if you like PE or not! The cleaning up is not much different, metal files rather than sanding sticks, gluing is CA or 2 part epoxy. The difficult bit is the size of things.

This is the engine/gearbox of a Williams FW11B high detail kit in 1/43rd.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Muller, the only headaches I get is when I forget where the underside of the bench is after fighting the carpet monster for a piece that fell on the floor!

Fantastic work , will be watching this coming together with great interest , I keep getting drawn to these 1/43 kits on GPmodels but like Dave the scale scares the life out of me.

Cheers

Richy

Thanks guys,

Yep Mac the parts are a bit small, I started the FW11b some time ago but it's sat in a box waiting to be finished.

These "simple kits" aren't too bad!

Fantastic work , will be watching this coming together with great interest , I keep getting drawn to these 1/43 kits on GPmodels but like Dave the scale scares the life out of me.

Cheers

Richy

They aren't to difficult if you find a retailer that points you towards the right kit to start with.

Paul

little-cars.com

I'll second Paul's comment. Don't let the small bits put you off, I will try and put the instructions up when I get the scanner at work repaired.

In fact I think this is one of the kits I've bought from Paul.

Excellent work on the Williams.

Tameo have really pushed the bar on 1/43 kits and while it's not quite a Tamyia I think they are down to, what, shake the box twice before paint? Color chips, two sets of decals, crisp casting and photo etch and, most importantly, PROPER INSTRUCTIONS (sorry, I didn't mean to shout but great googly moogly most 1/43 instructions are crap).

If anyone is looking to dip their toe in the 1/43 open wheel market Tameo is a fantastic place to start.

Sherpa

Thanks Sherpa,

This is one of the earlier kits, so only has one set of decals and hand drawn instructions.

As you have said they have come on leaps and bounds and are the pinnacle of 1/43rd kits at the moment.

Nothing done last night due to family life.

Here are the decals.

IMG_0018.jpg

And a couple of shots of the instruction sheets

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Just as a comparison this is a shot of the instructions from the 1977 Ferrari 312T2, again 1/43rd scale with over 320 parts!

WCT77.jpg

Anyone fancying a go at 1/43rd then I would recommend an early 90s Ferrari, something like the 641 or F-90, simple single colour scheme and easy on the eye aerodynamics.

Cheers,

Warren

Very brief update.

Front wing with a couple of coats of Satin Black

15c1.jpg

Rear Wing with first couple of coats of blue

15c2.jpg

There are decals for the wing end plates but I have painted them to make sure that the body colour matches.

Cheers,

Warren

Progress a bit slow at the moment as my daughter's French Pen Freind is here so a bit rude to disappear into the modelling cave of an evening.

Anyway did manage to get a bit of paint slapped onto the body and wheels.

3 tone body with a coat of gloss clear, a quick tidy up and then on with the decals.

15c3.jpg

Wheels done in good old Halfords Satin Black

15c4.jpg

Will probably be the weekwnd before I get on to it again.

Au revoir.

Edited by Madmonk

Most of the decals on the body now.

FW15-2.jpg

FW15-1.jpg

Wheel decals on too.

FW15-3.jpg

Tyres have had a coat of gloss on the walls so manufactures decals will go on tonight, followed by another gloss coat, a very thin oil wash and finally a coat of satin varnish, all brushed on.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Quick update.

Wheels have has oil wash and now need a coat of satin varnish on wall .

FW15-12.jpg

I find the decals supplied are a bit too bright for the tyre stenciling some the Paynes Gray wash tones them down slightly.

All decals now on body.

WF15-11.jpg

Hopefully should get a couple of coats of clear on tonight the I can leave it to dry full whilst away on my joliies!

Thanks for looking.

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a couple of weeks off with the family time to get back on the wagon!

Bodywork fully decalled and clear coated.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Tyres had a final coat of satin varnish and stickers added.

IMG_1679.jpg

Rear wing completed

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

Office area completed.

IMG_1678.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sherpa, from a modellers point of view the last 10 years have been horrible with all the little messy aerodynamic winglets and barge boards. I quite like last years cars but the noses on most of this years crop look strange.

My favourite era has to be the late 70's early 80's as that is the time I got into F1.

Ugh, yeah the step nose is pretty awful. Hopefully one of the McLaren boys takes it this year so the folks collecting world champions aren't stuck with something goofy but I don't think anyone is going to stop Vettel unless......hrm. Any guesses where in the rules and regs the FIA might ban machine guns? Movable aerodynamic aids maybe?

• 2 months later...