Diamond T semi trailer conversion.

Malcolm Shaw

Hello all,

I`m going to build the named vehicle but need a bit more info. It is the DT tractor pulling the Scammell trailer.

Does any one know if this vehicle used the normal DT winch or did it use the winching gear from the Scammell TT?

Also, does any one have info on the 20 ton trailer as towed by the Scammell, pictures, drawings etc as the resin kit i have lacks detail so i plan on adding some extra?

And are there any kits of IDF M50/M51 Shermans available? This is to go on an IDF Diamond T transporter.

Thanks for your time.

Malc.

Can't help with your trailer query,but Tamiya have recently released a M51 Sherman kit #35323.Lovely mouldings,but let down a little with some of the details,ie solid moulded grab handles,jerrycan racks moulded with the cans,but nothing too taxing to rectify.It has no etch brass,so brush guards will have to be thinned or a/m parts sought to replace,and no mesh intake grills.Nice cast surface texture,and apparently a first for Tamiya,they provide sponson covers.Reading web reviews,it represents 'Batch 1' of the type circa 1967.Model Military International issue 71 has an in depth article on this kit,as do Tamiya mags 197/198 issues.

HTH..........Dave.

Hello all,

I`m going to build the named vehicle but need a bit more info. It is the DT tractor pulling the Scammell trailer.

Does any one know if this vehicle used the normal DT winch or did it use the winching gear from the Scammell TT?

Also, does any one have info on the 20 ton trailer as towed by the Scammell, pictures, drawings etc as the resin kit i have lacks detail so i plan on adding some extra?

And are there any kits of IDF M50/M51 Shermans available? This is to go on an IDF Diamond T transporter.

Thanks for your time.

Malc.

Only the prototype conversion used the Scammell trailer, but because Scammell could not increase production, Shelvoke and Drewry were contracted to design and build a new 30 ton semi trailer. This trailer was fitted to the Diamond T tractor by removing the ballast bodies and fitting a fifth wheel coupling, the Diamond T 's winch was retained, 200 trailers were built by Shelvoke and Drewry. Some tractors had their double rear wheels removed and replaced with 13.50 x 20 singles. A photograth of the combination appears in "Breakdown, a history of recovery vehicles in the british army " by Brian Baxter.

Andrew

Thank you for the replies.

Alfisti, i should have mentioned that i am doing them in braille scale and not 1/35th. But thanks any way.

Andrew, thank you.

I will have to have a go at scratching the S&D trailer as i don`t think there is a kit.

A bloke on the ATF did one so i can fall back on his work to help.

But first i will do one with the Scammell trailer as i have the parts ready to go. (when i`ve finished my 1/24th Land Rovers that is)

Malc.

Edited by Malcolm Shaw

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,i have a book that shows picture of diamond T's all lined up on a road with the trailers full of buffalo landing craft awaiting to assult the rhine river,i think the book is called D-DAY TO BERLIN.

I often fancy doing one as a diorama.

SMUDGER