Modelling water

David61

Hi Guys,

I'm modelling a 1/72 Catalina, and I want to display her just taking off from water.

Anyone give me some tips on 1: modelling water with small waves, and 2: making the take off look realistic.

Many thanks in advance

David

Hi Guys,

I'm modelling a 1/72 Catalina, and I want to display her just taking off from water.

Anyone give me some tips on 1: modelling water with small waves, and 2: making the take off look realistic.

Many thanks in advance

David

Hi David,

water, many ways to do this, 'old favorite' is plaster of paris, another, would be a sheet of textured perspex,

painted on the reverse to give you depth and the rough top surface can be used as the waves.

Then you come to the chemical method, DON'T use two pack as the chemical reaction creates heat

and plastic don't like heat! There are a couple of one pack products available to model railway builders

"still water" and "flowing water" you could do worse than use these BUT, follow the destructions!

If you intend to have the Cat "on the step" do some research of photo's to see the attitude of the aircraft

at the point you wish to model her and cut or otherwise the base of your choice to accept the hull at that point.

HTH

Paul

Then you come to the chemical method, DON'T use two pack as the chemical reaction creates heat

and plastic don't like heat!

I just used a 2 pack called "Magic Water" which doesn't appear to create any heat at all. However, it has the viscosity of water when It's first mixed and can take a couple of days to cure. Other downside is that if you're not exact with your quantities it's cure fully (as I have just found out to my cost, solution is to mix another very small batch and pour it over the top of the previous batch).

Not much help for your aplication but it is an alternative for still water and to suggest that 2 pack mixes don't always generate heat...

Thanks to you all for the advice.

Doug.....excellent build and the info is spot on, many thanks