Sevans Doctor Who Cyberman

To try and regain some enthusiasm for building my Airbus A400M I thought I would take a break and build this:

K99egyh.jpg

Sevans 1/5th scale Cyberman, a mixture of vacform and resin produced in the early 90's.

Contents of the box:

YgNniR8.jpg

I love these Sevans kits but the quality of the resin casting leaves something to be desired by modern standards:

ZWzpsuU.jpg

7HJh4RQ.jpg

33wPnEd.jpg

33wPnEd.jpg

The gun will need some work aswell:

4YAaa7Z.jpg

3Hsken4.jpg

I've ordered some clear perspex tube to replace the gun barrel.

A few minutes of cutting and sanding gives me two body halves:

5xnl0iG.jpg

Add a few scrap plastic tabs and some glue and we have themain body together:

jY1qG7S.jpg

KDy6rDH.jpg

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
Photobucket ransom demand.

Kallisti said:
At least this version of the Cybermen didn't have practice golf-balls on their suits pretending to be joints!

The instructions for the kit has a section describing the cybersuit props, from the original cybermen story to the late 80's stories. They all seem to have been built with more imagination than budget.

The cybermen the kit depicts were wearing RAF Mark 22c ventilated coveralls, it's just they were spray painted silver and worn backwards.

A small update, the main body is together and the legs filled with plaster to give it some stability. A small lake of squadron green was used to cover the joints between parts.

HjLyzzH.jpg

8Fzo3Fz.jpg

N35SNQM.jpg

Cheers for now,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros

Some say........." they are among us..."

• 1 month later...

The instructions for the kit has a section describing the cybersuit props, from the original cybermen story to the late 80's stories. They all seem to have been built with more imagination than budget.

The cybermen the kit depicts were wearing RAF Mark 22c ventilated coveralls, it's just they were spray painted silver and worn backwards.

A small update, the main body is together and the legs filled with plaster to give it some stability. A small lake of squadron green was used to cover the joints between parts.

Cheers for now,

Stuart

i thought vac forms were a fairly hard way to build models! :thumbsup:

it looks hard enough to put two cylindrical fuselages together, never mind two body shaped halves.

as for what you say above stuart, it seems to me that a lot of sci-fi vehicles, props and costumes have as interesting a story in their creation and use in the real world, as anything they do on screen!

Edited by phil B.

Thanks for the comments guys, I haven't made much visual progress with the kit as it's mainly filling and sanding, filling and sanding, filling and sanding.

Phil B. and francieT, these vacforms are a lot easier than aircraft vacs, the plastic is very thick compared to aircraft vacs so it makes it easier to assemble and the fairly plain surfaces mean you don't lose detail when you fill and sand (and fill and sand and fill and sand!)

I've built the Dalek and Davros kits from Sevans and they were even easier.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, must admit I'm surprised at the poor casting of the head. I have acouple of these kits and they were prefectly cast (as well as the Cyber-controller and both Davro kits). I was also somewhat unsure as I hadn't built vacforms before but these were all great Kits to cut your teeth on and a delight to build.

It's really nice to see one being built again.

cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

I think it's a pity that there isn't a range in this scale of modern 'Doctor Who' figures, the Airfix range is okay, but smaller and frankly rather crude out-of-the-box. Judging from the fact the DW sets were remaindered at ModelZone and other outlets, and the further kits that were announced were cancelled, I assume Airfix did not consider this range of kits a success.

jh

very nice kit, but as you say, quite dated, well done getting those joints as good as you have in the Torso clam halfs, and weighting the lower legs. That resin head weighs a fair amount to mount on a vac formed body.

• 3 weeks later...

did your kit have resin hands mine did

No, this is an early issue of the kit so the hands are vac formed (resin hands came later in the kits life). I think the fact it's an early release accounts for the slightly dodgy casting of the head too.

I'll try to do an update this weekend, I think I'm on the last layer of filler now.

Cheers,

Stuart

• 4 weeks later...

A minor update before the last coat of primer.

BhEfBOB.jpg

s9iBBTb.jpg

I've applied the surface detailing mesh and pipes to the body and assembled the head pipes and head to the body, the figure is still quite top heavy even with the legs full of plaster so I think a base will be necessary.

The pose is quite stiff, a minor drawback of the vacformed parts, ironically it makes him look like he's dancing the 'robot'.

QPCTBxL.jpg

Attaching the head requires a large amount of araldite and a good deal of patience.

wJEsNFE.jpg

The head pipes were simply plastic tubing, plastic right angles and masking tape wrapped around the bottom, I've taken a certain amount of artistic licence with the version I'm building, but he's close to the 'Earthshock' cybermen.

3XJiLzI.jpg

This shows where the tubes feed into the back of the suit, the elbow piece in white is only a very vague fit and required a lot of superglue and gator's grip to make it appear to be part of the suit and not just hanging on to it.

Next stage is to get some paint on him.

'Till next time,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros

• 2 months later...

After a short (for me) hiatus I've managed to make some progress with the cyberman, I tried some pre shading before the silver coat to try and inject some sense of detail and depth.

rXtG57c.jpg

nbbR1ZD.jpg

I then airbrushed a couple of coats of Tamiya titanium silver over the main body and flat aluminium for the head and chest plate.

QpvuLOk.jpg

tnVz1Nb.jpg

9tQhv7l.jpg

Finally I applied a heavy wash using flory models Black wash.

bzNwWMM.jpg

The cyber weapon was finished in gun metal, I sawed the gun into three pieces and replaced the centre section with a short length of clear tube.

qwk0vhl.jpg

The stripes provided in the kit were not used, instead i coloured 1mm masking tape with a marker and applied it around the clear section.

Again I was aiming for a general feel to the gun rather than replicate the onscreen version.

I'll post some pics of the finished article shortly.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros