Airbus A400M

Eren

Hello everyone.

I've just taken the plunge and stepped out of my comfort zone to go for this beast!

I usually only make airliners so this is my first ever military build and I'm here to ask you bunch of fantastic peoples for some tips and pointers :)

First off, the sheer size of this kit is incredible, easily the biggest thing I've done.

Some questions I have are about the detail. I'm planning on making the kit with wheels down ad doors open to show off the detail. When constructing the kit, what parts should I paint before assembling the inside of the plane and then going onto the whole fuselage construction etc?

Also, I'm planning on spraying the bird but what colour spray can will match the grey? Humbrol or preferably Halfords spray cans.

Hope you guys can help!

Many thanks

Eren

Some questions I have are about the detail. I'm planning on making the kit with wheels down ad doors open to show off the detail. When constructing the kit, what parts should I paint before assembling the inside of the plane and then going onto the whole fuselage construction etc?

I Would highly recommend painting the undersides of the wings inboard of the two middle engines before adding the wing to the fuselage as it is almost impossible to reach afterwards! Don't ask how I know this.

Eren,

On my recent build I painted all of the interior parts separately before assembly. The fit is good enough not to worry about joins etc.

On the fuselage I painted the wheel bay area first before adding any detail such as the gear itself which saved a lot of awkward painting at a later stage.

The only area I found that didn't fit perfectly was where the lower wing parts meet the fuselage - I used a little Evergreen strip to plug this gap and make the join stronger.

Removing the props from the sprues was tricky as they are very delicate - take extra care here.

If it's any help, my build thread is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...t=#entry1065789

Good luck with this model - it's a beauty!

Tom

Thanks for your tips so far guys, they're already a great help. Like I said its my first military build so I'm a complete novice and any help is much appreciated :)

What grey is a match for the plane itself? I'm hoping to use halfords sprays for this. And also has anyone used revell's photo etched parts for this? I've seen them around for quite cheap and wondered if they're worth it as I did notice just how much you can see through those windows just as Tom pointed out!

Also Tom - absolutely stunning build there! I hope mine looks just as good. Lots of detail there. Well done.

Many thanks again.

Eren

Thanks for your tips so far guys, they're already a great help. Like I said its my first military build so I'm a complete novice and any help is much appreciated :)

What grey is a match for the plane itself? I'm hoping to use halfords sprays for this. And also has anyone used revell's photo etched parts for this? I've seen them around for quite cheap and wondered if they're worth it as I did notice just how much you can see through those windows just as Tom pointed out!

Also Tom - absolutely stunning build there! I hope mine looks just as good. Lots of detail there. Well done.

Many thanks again.

Eren

I think you mentioned Halfords previously? They do a matt grey primer in the larger 500ml size. It's a good match and, I've used it on several models as the main coat of paint. I'll be using it on my A400

I think you mentioned Halfords previously? They do a matt grey primer in the larger 500ml size. It's a good match and, I've used it on several models as the main coat of paint. I'll be using it on my A400

That's great, thank you. I'm planning on doing a C-17 also, is that a match for that too? Is there a tin number I'll need for the primer or is there only one grey primer?

Thanks,

Eren

That's great, thank you. I'm planning on doing a C-17 also, is that a match for that too? Is there a tin number I'll need for the primer or is there only one grey primer?

Thanks,

Eren

There's one Grey Primer - plus a White and a Red one.

It's labelled 'Plastic Primer Grey' - make sure it has the word 'Plastic' - Item Code is 456855

Shake it well until the ball bearing inside rattles it sprays on superbly and once lightly sanded, provides a good finish.

You could use Halfords Clear Varnish (called Clear Laquer - Code 468843) before applying decals - just don't spray too close or it will run.

A great satin finish on top of decals etc is Games Workshop 'Purity Seal' - another spray can of eggshell/satin varnish.

My A-90 Ekranoplan used all the above......

Photo%2015.JPG

.... as did my Be-10....

Be-10%20056.JPG

The M-50 'Bounder' uses Grey and White Plastic Primer......

m-50_025.jpg

Ken

Hi Ken,

That's great, many thanks for your help with that! I'll take the code and get me a can of that :)

Hoping to start this one soon so I'll put up a thread of it. I've seen some on here and damn I've got some boots to fill to make it look like those I've seen!

Thanks again,

Eren.

Look out for the undercarriage!!!!!!!!!!! Glued mine together left it for ages then put it on it's own feet and when I came back in the morning all the wheels had gone from I I to / \ then I lifted it and 4 of them fell off. I think the weight in the nose was the problem so I would use something stronger to mount the wheels such as adding a metal axle? Because once you cut the doors in half they don't really work if you have to mount them closed.

Eren

I replaced all the axles with fine metal rod, bought from a dental supply store here in Manila (Philippines), as a precaution. Found some with the same diameter as the revell molded axles... Guys, what do you think? Was this necessary?

Also be careful aligning the main gear struts. I had to sand the bottoms of the tires so all 12 touched the ground...

HTH.

Tipper

Look out for the undercarriage!!!!!!!!!!! Glued mine together left it for ages then put it on it's own feet and when I came back in the morning all the wheels had gone from I I to / \ then I lifted it and 4 of them fell off. I think the weight in the nose was the problem so I would use something stronger to mount the wheels such as adding a metal axle? Because once you cut the doors in half they don't really work if you have to mount them closed.

Agreed, the undercarriage is a weak link, only because of the weight of the model. I have the Scale Aircraft Conversions which I used for the main gear, but with the concentrated weight on the nose I went another path. I drilled out the nose leg, and replaced the centre with stainless steel, which I left long and then put that through the u/c bay roof into a recess in some extra styrene on top of the roof. This made the whole thing removable and very strong with the added benefit of the oleo strut not requiring painting.