Who would buy a EC121 Warning Star?

paul178

To expand a little in 48th the EC-121 was made by ID Models whose moulds are now scattered. John Wilkes at Tigger has some of the parts but not all. If he can locate the missing items he'll consider a re release according to an email a few days ago.

Combat Models do the C-121 but I don't know if the EC parts are included as well.

I live in hope that one of the injection boys will get bored with their schedule and do an injection 48th EC-121. Im my biased opinion the most beautiful four engined plane ever built should sell :speak_cool:

To expand a little in 48th the EC-121 was made by ID Models whose moulds are now scattered. John Wilkes at Tigger has some of the parts but not all. If he can locate the missing items he'll consider a re release according to an email a few days ago.

Combat Models do the C-121 but I don't know if the EC parts are included as well.

I live in hope that one of the injection boys will get bored with their schedule and do an injection 48th EC-121. Im my biased opinion the most beautiful four engined plane ever built should sell :speak_cool:

I quite agree. I've been fascinated by the EC-121 since I saw one fly out of Mather AFB years ago[/i

Edited by Jim Starling

• 1 month later...

I have been collecting Constellation/Warning Star kits since 1970 and they all remain unassembled to this day. My first is a Japanese produced L1049 control line wooden airframe kit that, when built, is designed to be propelled by four gas engines. It would have a wingspan of slightly more than six feet. Second is an old Revell WV-2 which they affectionately called "Radome" and was produced in Brazil. I think it is a 1/144 scale. The scale is so small I think Iain wouldn't even be able to see it. Third is the Minicraft Navy version EC-121 (I suspect K model) in PMR color scheme. I believe it is in 1/72 scale - also unrecognizable to Iain. Fourth is the Heller in 1/48, the subject of this thread. He might just be able to see this one.

I also have two handmade solid mahogany EC-121s; one is a WC-121N (TE 12 from VW-1); the other is an EC-121M (PR 25 from VQ-1) that I commissioned from Philippine artisans in the 1970s that are currently in various states of disrepair due to several household moves in forty years. These models are roughly the same scale as the Heller.

Off thread, I also have an unassembled Hasegawa EP-3E (PR 31 from VQ-1) which they misnamed "Orion" instead of Aries. I haven't seen many of these in several years. The kit is a standard P-3 with resin addons for the dorsal and ventral canoes and the "seabean" APS 20 radome. I had intended to build this along with a Revell TU-95D Bear that we used to "play" with in the Sea of Japan. We tried to race a Bear out of Vladivostok in PR 31 one cold day. He smoked us badly and , although he was 10,000 feet above us, we could hear the din of his supersonic propellers through our airframe.

While I have every good intention to build these kits it will probably not in fact ever happen. I don't have the eyesight nor the steadiness of hand that I did when I built models in my youth and my wife tells me that I can quit working when they carry me out of my cubicle in a body bag.

So, to put an end to my rant, I am willing to part with any of the plastic kits to someone who intends to start it promptly (this year) and complete it within twelve months. I have been following Iain's WIP on the 1/32 EC-121K but I'm not convinced he will complete it in my lifetime or this century. I also have some concerns about shipping these things across the pond. I thought the USA and the UK were allies but it almost took an act of God to ship Iain two disks. Think on these things and let me know...

Edited by ltdayan
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I bought this kit in a new style box in 1999, I was in australia dont think this kit has been out in the uk since the mid 80's

That was a limited edition re-release. (It wasn't even in the catalogue).

Since it was widely available in Greece, I can't see why it wouldn't be in the UK.

Mind you it was fun seeing it in the shops next to the original black box release from 1981 or so.

(Gives you an idea of how popular the EC-121 kit was.... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Panoz