Keep calm and build Airfix....

heloman1

So with that in mind my jolly bunch of modellers and the grumpy ones too. What was your first Airfix kit you built?

If my memory serves me well it was probably one of the ship kits in the '50's Santa Maria or something similar. The one I definitely remember most was the Sopwith Camel for which I used the tube glue to stick the transfers onto the kit.

Stop it Colin ,you're making them laugh!

Colin on the Africa Station

My first self build kit was the Airfix OV-10 Bronco,i built it,then put on the transfers ten asked dad to paint it for me lol.he did too bless him.........Neil

Well I didn't build it my Dad did and it was the Hurricane IV. Despite serving in the RAF for 37 years (or maybe because of it) he faithfully copied the old style header card and painted the camouflage in a tasteful combination of Woolworth's silver and the sort of gloss green used on garden tools (remember those little pots about twice the size of Humbrol?). It was hung up from my bedroom ceiling in time honoured fashion.

Mine was the old dogfight kit of beaufighter and me 109g, if im correct. Remember buying it from the old Southend Airport museum many, many moons ago!!!!!!!! Oh happy days! :-)

My first Airfix kit was the Hart built in 1960 or 61 - I still have the header sheet and most of the kit survives - it was one of the few that made it in to 'the box Mother put up in the loft' when I left home to go to university.

The thought was kind but she put the aircraft in first and then topped up the box with the magazines and a few books!! We found the box about 20 years later when my parents downsized their home and I was sent to check what was up in the loft - that led to a couple of trips to the waste tip with the car full of black plastic sacks!!

Prior to that I had built several of the Eaglewall 1/1200th ship range and a couple of Eaglewall 1/96th aircraft - definitely the Typhoon (that also survived the 'box' but is finished in various shades of gloss house paints) and perhaps the Hurricane??

Our local newsagent in Plymouth was ex Royal Navy hence his stocking the Eaglewall range - he owned a fleet of over 100 ships based on those kits - the first guy I ever knew who did conversions.

The Golden Hind

And painted with the Reeves Water Colours from my paintbox

Ah bless...

b

(second was the Spitfire with its four little bombs, much later, maybe a fortnight later)

Don't really remember ,but I think it must have been the old Spitfire IX, which years later was converted into a MkXVI after reading an article in Aifix Magazine by Alan W Hall. So it could well have been my first kit and my first conversion.

Andrew

A Spitfire on generic version. I was about 9 years old and insisted that the underneath should be painted in green and brown camo. I remember this clearly as my Dad's suggestion that the pilot should fly upside down was the funniest things in the world. Strange how you remeber these little details innit?!

Not my first Airfix kit, but the first one I remember building - Wellington III bought as a 'welcome to your new house' kit when parents moved in 1976

My first was the Spitfire in 1958 or 59 ....painted with some jolly nice paints I had ....from an oil paint by numbers picture .....don't think it ever did dry :( one very disappointed little boy :unsure:

well at least it did not put me off for long ...and still doing them ...and still pick them up before the paint is dry sometimes :rolleyes: ... will I never learn ...!

Regards Trevor ... :D

Well I didn't build it my Dad did and it was the Hurricane IV. Despite serving in the RAF for 37 years (or maybe because of it) he faithfully copied the old style header card and painted the camouflage in a tasteful combination of Woolworth's silver and the sort of gloss green used on garden tools (remember those little pots about twice the size of Humbrol?). It was hung up from my bedroom ceiling in time honoured fashion.

"Woolworths silver and gloss green" was this what prompted your interest in this aspect leading to the excellent flow of colour and paint schemes information that you supply us with ??

Regards Trevor ... :D

I think it was the 1/72 Sunderland built when I was 6-7 years old (79-80). Painted it and everything (of course just the top camo because the plastic was white already). Hung from my ceiling until it met with an unbecoming end involving explosives!

It was the Airfix series one Supermarine S6B. I seem to recall the mouldings were silver plastic. no cockpit, just the pilots head moulded onto the fuse behind the windscreen. I wasn't allowed to paint it 'cos mum said I would get paint everywhere. 56 years later, I still do!

I always loved flying machines ever since i can remember my first airfix kits were the harrier and mig 21 my dad put these together while i watched he left all the insides out so i could play with the little men, they wern't painted but the stickers were used i think most of them on my bike .

What makes this special was my dad had m/s and his fingers wer'nt as supple as they could be as i reached my late teens and became passably ok at this hobby my dad reminded me of the sat afternoon when he built my first models .

god i miss him.....

happy modelling Glenn.....

Mine was either a sa bulldog or the elusive chipmunk, I remember my mum would sit with me before school and we would either build a step of the instructions or paint a bit.