Spitfire Mk.IX MH434 Update: 7/9/14-She's Finished!

This is one splendid build. Love everything, cockpit, roundels, engine(The best part of it!) and several other things. Well done!

I like the fact that I have seen this one at Duxford too!

Robin

Well,she's certainly looking the part all right.

And Captain Boogaloo is absolutely spot on,not many peeps know,but both Ray and Mark

were both very keen modellers and always pretty eager to chat models and modelling.

They were extremely interested in any model of one of their aircraft.

Two of the nicest gentlemen anyone could ever wish to meet,can't wait to see your figures

of them Tango.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

I thought I'd give this post a bump as I am very near completion now, work has kept me busy of late but now I have some time I am hopefully going to get this build finished. I am still working on the figures and to be honest I am not happy with them yet, I want to do it right as Ray and Mark deserve nothing less.

I have some custom made decals for the nose art now as well and will be posting some pics when I have them on. Not long now!

• Like 1

Hi, I saw MH434 on the WIP list, and the memories came flooding back. I first became aware of Ray Hanna when he was leader of the Red Arrows and then at Duxford when he flew MH434 for Adrian Swire. Watching him display MH434 was almost spiritual, and he always displayed to all of the crowd not just the middle, his son Mark also showed the same skill and artistry befor his tragic death.

I was never fortunate enough to meet Ray or Mark but I have a story which illustrates the sort of man Ray was. Many years ago I was an Air Cadet gliding instructor and we used to have the occasional visit from one of the ex- instructors who worked for Slingsby's and travelled around the country demonstrating their gliders. He told us of an occasion when he met Ray Hanna at an air display and asked him if he was returning to Duxford after the display, when the answer was 'yes' this guy said that he knew an old chap who had flown in WW I and lived close to the proposed route and thought he would love to see a Spitfire. Ray asked him to point out the exact spot on the map, which he did and they went their own ways. Acouple of days later this guy (sorry I've forgotten his name) saw the old

chap who told him that he'd had a private display from a Spitfire. It seems that Ray had circled the village until people came out to see what was happening, the did 5 minutes of aerobatics before flying away. What a fantastic gesture.

It's good to hear people's personal recollections oh the Hannas.

Love the build by the way, I'm-planning to make mine as MH 434 there's no other choice for me.

• Like 1

I was never fortunate enough to meet Ray or Mark myself, but everyone I know who did meet or know them always spoke of how decent and kind they were as well what great pilots they both were. That is why I am taking so long to get this project done, because I want to make my own personal tribute to them and to say thanks for all those great flying displays that made me stand an inch taller.

Thanks!

Good news! I finally got the nose art decal on tonight!!!! Here is how she looks now............

DSC_2645_zps8487c660.jpg

DSC_2647_zps1f81676c.jpg

I have just finished up some of the last parts to go on and then she'll be done. I am still plugging away with the figures of Ray and Mark, but I don't have enough bottle to show them off yet..........

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!

I have been plugging away at the figures and I had to reposition the nose art decal as it was not lined up correctly. This has taken a massive chunk of time as once the decal lifted, it took paint of as well. :weep:

Needless to say repairs have been underway and as of this morning I now have a glossy panel to apply the spare decal-phew! All that's left now is decals for the prop blades to apply, then the aerial mast, canopy mirror and pitot tube.

Wearthering will be minimal as this model shows 434 as she was in May 1995. So some very light inks here and there and then a final coat of varnish, very close to the fnish line! Thanks for watching!

Reading this thread has also prompted me to dig out one of my favourite Spitfire books titled 'Spitfire: The world's most famous fighter'

By Jeremy Flack first published in 1985. It has lots of pictures of MH 434 ( and the Hannas) before the rebuild and this is how I plan to depict her, which is how I first saw her. The fake cannon and the machine gun apertures are there but the cannon acces panels are flat.

The codes are the same but the Z on the port side did not overlap the door, don't ask me which is correct I don't care because that's what she looked like, which is what matters to me. There was also no nose art, just kill markings

Still looking forward to the finished item.

John

• Like 1

Hi John!

I think you'll find that 434's codes before the 1995 rebuild were correct in the Z not overlapping the door. As far as I can tell, the only time the Z did overlap was directly after the rebuild. Later in 1995, the airframe was repainted with the Z moved further back so that it did not overlap.

You can see both paint schemes in the 1996 book "Spitfire-Flying Ledgend." I also have the DVD "A Spitfire's Story" which tells of 434's history from WWII up to 1995. In the film, you can see 434 as I have painted her, with her first engine start up on 17th May 1995. Which is the era I wanted to capture, when I first saw her. If you haven't got the DVD, it's well worth getting as it's a brilliant documentary.

Hi John, the documentary was originally aired on TV in 1996, I am not sure they sell it at Duxford these days, but you can still get a copy here:

http://www.flyingmachinestv.co.uk/products/a-spitfires-story

I managed to find a copy of the book you mentioned the other day and it is a great visual resource! I can see how you want to build your 434 now! I think that will look brilliant! I have been working on my figures and went to spray a final coat of flat varnish when I realised that I had run out of the stuff! So it's off to the model shop on Saturday morning to get some more. Still, nearly there now............

• Like 1

I'm off to Duxford for the displays on 13&14 with a Gold Pass for Sunday, a birthday present from Mrs Biggles whose coming with me.

Unfortunately MH434 is not listed on the flying programme for either day so I'll have to be content with two Lancasters!

Well, after two years...................she's done!

k10_zpscf065743.jpg

k17_zpsbd87f83b.jpg

I'll post some more pics over on ready for inspection, just wanted those who have been watching this one to see it first! Thanks to everyone who stopped in and joined me on this thread.

Edited by Tango 1
  • Like 1

Fabulous job Tango,fabulous job.

Our man would most certainly have been bending your ear most robustly over this one.

BTW,you've seen this "lawnmower" clip before no doubt.

You-know-who driving you-know-who giving another famous you-know-who a bit of

a heart attack(nearly) :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: