Airfix 1/72 Spad VII

Nigel Heath

This kit is about 25 years old. I have just tried to apply the roundel decals and experieced a problem with them completely disintegrating after a 20 second soak. I then tried applying Micro Sol thinking this might soften them before trying to remove from the backing paper but there was no difference. I presume the problem is because of the extreme age of the decals and they are irretrievable, however I thought it might be worth asking the community if they have had similar problems and found a solution.

Otherwise I need to find a source for a set of replacement decals.

This kit is about 25 years old. I have just tried to apply the roundel decals and experieced a problem with them completely disintegrating after a 20 second soak. I then tried applying Micro Sol thinking this might soften them before trying to remove from the backing paper but there was no difference. I presume the problem is because of the extreme age of the decals and they are irretrievable, however I thought it might be worth asking the community if they have had similar problems and found a solution.

Otherwise I need to find a source for a set of replacement decals.

You could try putting a coat of MicroFilm over them before cutting the decals out and soaking them in the water. Of course finding MicroFilm anymore could be a bit of a problem, but something like that should help to keep the decals together.

Later,

Dave

Thanks for the tip, I have worked out that this must be Microscale Industries' Liquid Decal Film product - I was not aware of this stuff. I have looked at their website and it states that it can't be shipped overseas (I am in the UK). Any idea where I can get it in the UK? I guess this requires a new post...

Hi Nigel,you could try Hannants for the decal film.Alternatively,give the decal sheet a couple of thin coats of Future/Klear which should help stop the decals from shattering when soaked.

Dave.

You can get Microscale Liquid Decal Film from Hannants. I got a bottle yesterday to use on Pegasus decals that were badly cracked on the paper. First time use and it worked ok, holding the roundels together so they could be slid onto the wings. Managed to make a mess of a fuselage roundel but that was my big fingers. Quite impressed with the stuff. Alternatively, I have a new looking set of Airfix Spad V11 transfers you could have with the proviso that I have used the smaller 2's elsewhere. PM your address if interested.

Regards,

Steve