Schematics for Grand Slam Bomb

Learstang

I am planning on doing a Grand Slam conversion for an Airfix Dambuster (it's on its way!). I have most of the Paragon conversion for it - nose blank, dorsal turret blank (not needed on the Dambuster), bomb bay inserts, etc. The one thing, the only thing I'm missing is the s***ing bomb itself! I'd actually built it and painted it but now have no idea if I still have it anywhere (much of my collection was lost in a semi-voluntary move from Houston, Texas). If any one could provide some good schematics, especially in 1/72nd scale, but if not I can always scale them up or down, I would be very grateful. I have some nice photographs, courtesy of the Intertubes, but no good schematics. With some good schematics, I don't think I'll have much difficulty scratchbuilding one. Thank you for any help!

Best Regards,

Jason

Chris, thank you for the picture and the links. I'd seen that first link, but not the second one. This will help me greatly!

Best Regards,

Jason

I'd like to echo that to, those are great links Chris, especially the eodthor one, thats by far the best schematic of the TB & GS bombs I've seen & it will be a big help with a little detailing on the Airfix GS kit I picked up recently.

Steve.

There is a dimensioned German drawing of the Grand Slam bomb in both the Lancaster Datafile and the book 'Bombs Gone'.

Jason

I think I have the Datafile, and I do have "Bombs Gone" book, let me know if you want the details?

cheers

T

Hey Jason it looks like my goading/harassement/encouragement/SUTB (delete as applicable) has done the trick,well done. How's the Lancaster coming on?

Regards John (exbrat)

Not too badly, John; I really haven't done anything photo-worthy in the past few days. Right now I'm filling in some of the areas and waiting for the fillers to dry, so I can start sanding them. This Grand Slam version is on my to do list, but I definitely want to get this Mk.VI and my Manchester out of the way first.

Thank you for the information, Iain, and yes Troy, I would like the details - thank you!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

erm, at 12,000 lb, does that not make it a Tallboy?

Jason, both books are not to hand, I'll do my best to check on them, but may not be until the weekend. Feel free to remind me:)

cheers

T

Jason, both books are not to hand, I'll do my best to check on them, but may not be until the weekend. Feel free to remind me:)

cheers

T

No problem, Troy; I have to remind myself to remind you, though. Iain, that is indeed the Tallboy - supposedly the Grand Slam was a direct upscaling of it, but I have my doubts that everything was upscaled the same.

Regards,

Jason

Yes, it does, but as the bombs, apart from size, were identical in shape and proportion, I assumed that you would multiply the dimensions in the drawing by 1.21 in order to arrive at the correct dimensions for the components of the larger bomb.

Yes, it does, but as the bombs, apart from size, were identical in shape and proportion, I assumed that you would multiply the dimensions in the drawing by 1.21 in order to arrive at the correct dimensions for the components of the larger bomb.

I hadn't worked out the dimensional difference - so it's 1.21. That does help - thank you, Iain!

Regards,

Jason

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but does anyone have a copy of the schematic mentioned above. I'm working on some 3d cad drawing of both the grand slam and tallboy bombs. All ready have the 1:144 scale ones up on shapeways. I just need to check some dimension of the rear flange and tail mounting ring.

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but does anyone have a copy of the schematic mentioned above. I'm working on some 3d cad drawing of both the grand slam and tallboy bombs. All ready have the 1:144 scale ones up on shapeways. I just need to check some dimension of the rear flange and tail mounting ring.

No problem, Andy! As a matter of fact it's quite timely, as I just went and bought the Hasegawa Grand Slam kit when I was finally able to find one at a decent price, and I've even done some work on it. I'll look at what I have on the bomb regarding drawings and see If I can't find something that might help you.

Best Regards,

Jason

No problem, Andy! As a matter of fact it's quite timely, as I just went and bought the Hasegawa Grand Slam kit when I was finally able to find one at a decent price, and I've even done some work on it. I'll look at what I have on the bomb regarding drawings and see If I can't find something that might help you.

Best Regards,

Jason

cheers jason,

i have to thank you for the other golden nugget of information, i got from this thread, 1.21, found that a couple of weeks ago wrote it on my tallboy sketch and then promptly lost the link back here from google results. Then i joined Britmodeller for other modelling information reasons and found this thread again "score!!!"

I've Just realised my detailed cad drawings are wrong, as i've reused the rear flange assembly from the tallboy to create the back end of the grand slam and thats why i'm after the rear flange dimensions as double check.

a link to a blog on my cad drawings

http://morningstarsmodellingmusings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-bigger-bang-for-your-buck.html

Edited by andygif290368

It's not 100% finished still some fiddly bits to sort out and learn more bits of Autodesk Inventor at the same time

Files can be found on here, it's been drawn up as 1:1(ish) https://grabcad.com/library/raf-22000lb-d-p-bomb-grand-slam-1

If you have the Haynes Workshop Manual for the Dam Busters, page 77 has fully dimensioned installation drawings for the Tallboy and the Grand Slam.

Thanks will keep an eye out for a cheap 2nd hand copy of the Haynes manual.

Someone sent me a link to the Lancaster data file, which was great but only had the same info i already had for the tallboy's.

The 3d model is the right total length, right warhead diameter and length, its the right diameter over the fins, which has been good enough for printing up at 1:144.

The profiles for the rear of warhead and fin aerofoils are a best guess.

A friend asked me to produce a drawing set that could be used to make larger scale models from, that's why I'm now fussing about trying to get the fiddly bits right, the bits that no one ever see at my usual scale of operation!!!

To get panel lines to show at my normal scale they need to be about 20mm wide at 1:1 to even stand a chance of showing up on a print, not so much of gap at that point more a yawning chasm.

well lets chalk that one up to experience.... bought a copy of the haynes manual for the lancaster off of ebay and there's no pictures of a tallboy or grand slam bomb, let alone a fully dimensioned installation diagram on page 77. Ok, theres loads of other bomb configurations on page 77 but not the ones i'm interested in.

Well give it a couple of weeks and it'll be being sold on ebay or amazon again.

so not all haynes manuals are created equal, have now found the right manual and the example pages do offer some very nice info on the bombs in question. back to watching ebay for a cheap copy....

Edited by andygif290368

Andy, here's one you may very well have - it's the German schematic of the Tallboy.

Best Regards,

Jason

Tallboy-Drawing_zps48ed4ea1.jpg

P.S. Wow! I just had a butcher's at your 3-D printed bombs - very nice - looks like you don't need my (or any) schematics!

Edited by Learstang

well lets chalk that one up to experience.... bought a copy of the haynes manual for the lancaster off of ebay and there's no pictures of a tallboy or grand slam bomb, let alone a fully dimensioned installation diagram on page 77. Ok, theres loads of other bomb configurations on page 77 but not the ones i'm interested in.

Well give it a couple of weeks and it'll be being sold on ebay or amazon again.

so not all haynes manuals are created equal, have now found the right manual and the example pages do offer some very nice info on the bombs in question. back to watching ebay for a cheap copy....

I presume you didn't get the Dam Buster version ( the one I mentioned in my post) then?

Edited by chaddy