What WW2 subjects do you want to see from Airfix?

Teenmodeller

A new-mould Vulcan to replace the old one, plus a good Victor to accompany it; that would give us good models of all three V-bombers.

Then add the Canberra B.2 to go with the B.(I)8 and the PR.9! Including of course all the 'noses' for T.11, T.17, etc.

What WW2 would I like to see from Airfix? Easy ABSOLUTELY NO MORE SPITFIRES,BF-109s, FW-190s, P51s,P-47s!!!!! I would like them to use a bit of imagination for once & stop issuing the same old hackneyed, done to death already subjects!!

Rant over! (oh, please,may I respectfully request you all spare me the "Spitfires et al sell" argument. I am sure they do! I do not need reminding!!)

Rant REALLY over now! :rolleyes: . Here's my list

C-46 Commando

C-47/DC-3 ( I don't think there is a really modern kit in 1/72 of the most widely produced transport in aviation history!)

Avro York

Avro Manchester/Radial engined Lancaster

Handley Page Harrow

Halifax B.III

Stirling

Blenheim 1, IV, V (1/48 would be nicE), Hampden, Whitley, Wellington, Hudson, Albacore, Sunderland (I'm sure the new, seemingly never to be released Italeri kit will be grossly over priced & unaffordable!!),

C-54, PB4Y Privateer,B-32 Dominator ( fantasising now!!),Douglas A20 Havoc/Boston, Lockheed Ventura, Typhoon & Tempest, Defiant.

B-17 ( all versions PRIOR to the E model!)

Now, the opposition!

JU-52/352. Ju90, Ju 86,Dornier 17/215/217 series. Ju 88/188/388/G series Night fighter. Blohm und Voss BV-222 & BV 141.

Am I right in thinking that some Italeri kits were re boxed by Airfix at one time? (CH-47, DC-3?) Be nice to se the ME321/323/HE-111Z again ( I refuse to pay £70+ for the Hasegawa 111Z!)

Phew! Think that's enough to be going on with!!

You don't have to pay £70 for a Hasegawa HeIIIZ, I was in Modelzone the other week in Chester and they were selling them for a far more reasonable £40 each.

thanks

Mike

Now yer talkin', although I'm not as badly opposed to more Spitfires as you are. But I like the "bit of imagination" part, which in my fevered brain translates to one or two Russian WWII types. As per my usual request, a replacement for the existing Yak-9D, and maybe a brand-new 1/72 Polikarpov I-153. Exotic and probably a total daydream, I know, but with some good camouflage and markings possibilities. ICM promised, but they seem to be going nowhere with this one. And not a reboxing of the Heller I-153!

John

Lol!! I see we are of like mind John!! :winkgrin: .

I'm afraid the Spitfire (using this as an example!) does nothing to inspire me as a modeliing subject - neither do the (BF-109, FW-190, P51, P47 etc etc!) . I know little of Russian WWII types but, I rather like the PE-2. A very handsome aeroplane & widely used. Not sure about the I-153 but, I'd like to see the Tupolev TB-3 again - even it it was a re issue of the ICM kit!

Did I forget to add the Fairey Battle, Blackburn Skua, Fairey Fulmar & Firefly? :winkgrin:

ps - Thanks for the info re the HE 111Z Mike! £40 a lot more sensible & reasonable!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I like the current Airfix approach of replacing some of their old clunkers with new molds. There are still lots of sub-par molds out there, so lots of choice for next releases. If I was choosing the next 3 WW2 releases, I'd go for :

DH Tiger Moth In 1/72, 1/48 & 1/24 - so many different variants, so many colour schemes. This would be a banker for years to come!

BP Defiant. 1/72 & 1/48 <10 year old boy mode> Its a spitfire with a turret - how cool is that!</10 year old boy mode>

Me 232. 1/72 & 1/48. It's the first proper jet fighter, it looks like a shark, whats not to like!

For the pocket money market 1/72 is a must, and 1/48 seems to be the new preferred scale for 'serious' modellers. Therefore do the research once for all scales.

Most of Hornby's efforts seem to be on the smaller models. Granted the 1/24 Mossie can be seen as a statement of intent and the 1/48 Spits as a nod to 'grown up' modellers.

So I see them concentrating on smaller stuff to get the pocket money market with....

CCF Havard with the fixed rear glazing

Havoc/Boston/A-20 as this is a yawning gap in all manufacturer's catalogues

Tiger Moth

Defiant

Battle

Beaufighter

Blenheim

Gladiator

Hart series

Trevor

I don't build a whole lot of WWII stuff but an accurate P-39 Airacobra in 1/72 modern tooling is right near the top of my list.

Though it is technically post war, a new tooled, full styrene, Tempest Mk.II in 1/72 would also be heartilly welcomed by me. The Special Hobby Mk.II is a pig to build quite frankly. The old Matchbox Mk.II can be coaxed into a decent replica once you've dealt with the Mad Trencher's handiwork.

A 1/48th Dornier 17Z would be a nice to own and not as daunting in size as Revells 1/32nd German Bombers apart from that i would love a 1/48th Blenheim as others have mentioned ive always fancied a decent kit of that aircraft since i read 'Dawn Attack' by Brian Callison as a kid.

There has been a few comments about the Douglas Boston/Havoc/A-20 not being given any attention by model manufacturers on here.

Whats wrong with the Aifix kit I have in my stash ???

Or the recent MPM/Special Hobby series (A-20B/C, A-20G, A-20J/K, Boston III, Boston IV/V, Boston Turbinlite)?

There has been a few comments about the Douglas Boston/Havoc/A-20 not being given any attention by model manufacturers on here.

Whats wrong with the Aifix kit I have in my stash ???

Well, since you ask. Numerous outline inaccuracies, including:

wingtip shape, tailplane shape, fin fillet shape, bombardier's glazing shape, cowling shape; width of upper fuselage; spartan interior; oversized and inaccurately shaped 'moving' control surfaces; extremely thick trailing edges.

See build thread below for my attempt to improve some of the above issues.

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=1912

It was, eventually, finished; coincidentally the final article is featured in the "Classic Plastic" section of this month's SAMI.

I wholeheartedly second the need for a sensibly priced new-tool boxing of this important aircraft!

regards,

Martin

Well, I appreciate the explanation as to what is wrong with it, I was more getting an impression from this thread that the Boston was perceived to have been overlooked completely by manufacturers.

It all comes down to your purpose for modelling, I suppose. Mine is to build a model, the process from start to finish, and taking pride in the result. Therefore I am very much OOB and will only revert to after-sales is something is really screwed up (hence I bought the CMK cockpit set for the 48th TSR2, and may invest in a body taper correction kit for it from Odds and Ordnance too, if they ever manage to release it). Absolute accuracy is not that big a deal for me.

On the other hand, I recently got the belly tank for the Trumpeter 72nd Lighning F2A/F6 from Heritage and making a quick visual comparison I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Those of you making museum pieces and entering competitions have a different perspective, I understand. I just find the prominence of the "inaccuracies" discussions on here a little depressing; it seems to devalue a little the work I put in to a model. Its only my opinion, of course; no offence intended.

The other day I found an old "work in progress" thread (running for 2 years, still not finished) on a German site for the Frog/Novo HMS Tiger kit, and the bloke was using so much plasticard and tooling on it I wondered why he didnt simply do a scratch build....

Well, I appreciate the explanation as to what is wrong with it, I was more getting an impression from this thread that the Boston was perceived to have been overlooked completely by manufacturers.

It all comes down to your purpose for modelling, I suppose. Mine is to build a model, the process from start to finish, and taking pride in the result. Therefore I am very much OOB and will only revert to after-sales is something is really screwed up (hence I bought the CMK cockpit set for the 48th TSR2, and may invest in a body taper correction kit for it from Odds and Ordnance too, if they ever manage to release it). Absolute accuracy is not that big a deal for me.

On the other hand, I recently got the belly tank for the Trumpeter 72nd Lighning F2A/F6 from Heritage and making a quick visual comparison I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Those of you making museum pieces and entering competitions have a different perspective, I understand. I just find the prominence of the "inaccuracies" discussions on here a little depressing; it seems to devalue a little the work I put in to a model. Its only my opinion, of course; no offence intended.

The other day I found an old "work in progress" thread (running for 2 years, still not finished) on a German site for the Frog/Novo HMS Tiger kit, and the bloke was using so much plasticard and tooling on it I wondered why he didnt simply do a scratch build....

I don't disagree with anything you say above. Everyone has a different purpose in modelling and just because they're different doesn't make them less valid.

For instance, there are certain things that 'bug' me about 'accuracy', and certain things that don't. Of the former, I hate inaccurate (too blunt) cowling lines (think Airfix Beaufighter, B-17G, Boston) because they make the aircraft look less aerodynamic than they should be, but other equally 'inaccurate' parts of the model maybe won't bother me that much. Horses for courses.

Re your comment, "I will . . . only revert to after-sales if something is really screwed up." Well absolutely, but that means you have to define "really screwed up", which is a personal opinion that others may not share. In short, I don't think our respective outlooks are miles apart here.

Re the Airfix Boston, I'd like a whole series of Boston IIIs (and IIIAs, and IVs), but the effort I'd have to expend on the Airfix kits to get them to where I'd be happy with them is too much for me. I'd like a new-tool please. As I'd like to do a few different schemes, and I can't affort ~£20 a pop to buy the MPM / Special Hobby variant, I'd like something reasonably accurate (the Airfix kit isn't - in my opinion only, of course), reasonably cheap (~£12?) and reasonably easy to put together.

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

1/72nd Tempest V the Academy kit ailerons look suspect anyway, I'd rather buy an Airfix kit than an Academy kit (unless the Airfix kit was soooooooooooo wrong)!

1/72nd Tempest II

1/72nd Tempest 6

1/48th Tempest V

1/48th Tempest II

1/48th Tempest 6

1/24th Tempest V

1/24th Tempest II

1/24th Tempest 6

If Airfix ever considered 1/32nd scale...

1/32nd Tempest V

1/32nd Tempest II

1/32nd Tempest 6

Do you get the picture... ...give us a bloody Tempest!

Wez

Edited by Wez

ANSON! ANSON!! ANSON!!

Always was a good seller for Airfix. But it would be nice to have an accurate, new tooled Anson 1 in 1/72nd (with either early or late windscreen). The current Airfix Anson is just too old in the tooth and has so many faults that it's really not worth it anymore....The Special Hobby one is nice, but over engineered, too much resin for the "target market" and too expensive to boot.

And while Airfix is at it, how about an Anson Mk C19 / Mk XIX as well - should sell well too - so many trainers and similar out there, both wartime and post war...silver or yellow...

Anyone?

Please?

Philip

PS - a new tool Sterling would be nice too! And a Sunderland....and of course the Defiant....

1/72nd Tempest V the Academy kit ailerons look suspect anyway, I'd rather buy an Airfix kit than an Academy kit (unless the Airfix kit was soooooooooooo wrong)!

1/72nd Tempest II

1/72nd Tempest 6

1/48th Tempest V

1/48th Tempest II

1/48th Tempest 6

1/24th Tempest V

1/24th Tempest II

1/24th Tempest 6

If Airfix ever considered 1/32nd scale...

1/32nd Tempest V

1/32nd Tempest II

1/32nd Tempest 6

Do you get the picture... ...give us a bloody Tempest!

Wez

Sorry, Wez, but I can't quite understand what you're getting at? Is there a specific point you're trying to make? :winkgrin:

I vote for 1/48 Anson(s) and Blenheim(s). They're "relatively" small and they're iconic early-WW2 British Bombers. That being said, if Revell doesn't follow-up their Ventura with a Hudson, I think that would be a good choice, too.

I agree with all the above suggestions.

I'd like to add to the list:

MiG 3

Polykarpov I-15, I-153, I-16

LaGG 5

La 7

and re-issues [ie new moulds] of the Shurtmovik and Yak 3

I'm not an avid fan of CSSR aeroplanes but they are underrepresented in Airfix' catalogue.

I agree with all the above suggestions.

I'd like to add to the list:

MiG 3

Polykarpov I-15, I-153, I-16

LaGG 5

La 7

and re-issues [ie new moulds] of the Shurtmovik and Yak 3

I'm not an avid fan of CSSR aeroplanes but they are underrepresented in Airfix' catalogue.

Dude, yer the best! :thumbsup:

(Although I was going to back off on my shameless and monotonous promotion of the Yak-9, now that I'm wrestling with the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire F Mk.22 - it's not the easy build I was expecting. Maybe Airfix need more time to improve their product before they tackle the important Russian types... :whistle: )

John

Hi,

Not sure if it matters, but I'd like to see Airfix do all of these in 1/48 scale please & thanks:

Spit Mk XIX

Hampden

Battle

Anson

Thanks for asking

Cheers

Brad

Apart from British aircraft, I would like to see Airfix producing new tools of the F-4U Corsair and F6F Hellcat in 1/72nd, the current renditions of which are well past their prime. However, how they'd do in the marketplace with the other renditions available from eg Academy, Hobby Boss, Tamiya and so on though, I don't know.

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo