What WW2 subjects do you want to see from Airfix?

Teenmodeller

Not strictly wubble u wubble u 2, but if anything were to get me building wingies again, it would be a re tooled HP 42 Heracles....

in 1/72 scale even, maybe...

possibly the most 'graceful' aircraft ive ever seen.

Steve

Arado 240A-04.

Hasn't everything else been done already, by someone?

OK, ok, a quality Halifax, but I don't expect it in the near future.

I can think of a number of the older Airfix kits that need burying, not re-producing to disillusion another generation.

I can think of a number of the older Airfix kits that need burying, not re-producing to disillusion another generation.

We could really use a retooled Tiger Moth......and as mentioned earlier, a Defiant.

In 1/72 at reasonable prices:

Brewster Buffalo

Curtis Mohawk

Vultee Vengeance

Wirraway

Curtiss Wright CW 21

Any other types from the far east

You and I will get along juuuust fine! Great selection (but then I do have a Far East bias, too...Vildebeest anyone?)

Beaufighter

Dornier Do 17Z

Boston/Havoc (preferably with at least one boxing catering for the early short nacelle variants. I know MPM/Special Hobby do much of the A-20/Boston range but a cheaper, simpler to build offering to the standards Airfix can achieve when they put their mind to it would be nice)

and of course, the one model that the whole of humanity has been crying out for since the dawn of time:

Blackburn Shark TT.III

I am quite keen for Airfix to re-tool thier 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb and I am also hoping for a new B-17.

But what do you want?

I've been looking at Hawker Hurricanes lately and am somewhat amazed that the only readily available Hurricane MkI is the Airfix version. All the others are MkIIs. The AZ model and Hasgawa versions are as scarce as hen's teeth so a updated kit from Airfix would have the field to itself. Actually, the current kit is quite accurate and doesn't have the problem with its tailfeathers like the Airfix MkII/Sea Hurricane, but it could do with some modern tooling.

I am not really a WW2 person but two models spring to mind that they should retool and they are the Boulton Paul Defiant and the Short Stirling. please please no more Spitfires

Love to see a 1/48 Hampden and a Stirling, if Trumpeter can do a Wellington and Tamiya a Lancaster, then surely Airfix can do as much for us bomber fans. The Blenheim family would be good as well. Oh, and why not a Manchester, even if it was 1/72 :)

I am not really a WW2 person but two models spring to mind that they should retool and they are the Boulton Paul Defiant and the Short Stirling. please please no more Spitfires

I agree with this utterly and completely. The Spitfire has been given more than its fair share of attention in recent years, and the Defiant kit is absolutely atrocious. I've got a Short Stirling in my stash which I havent started, surprise to see so many want it re-tooling. What are the problems ?

What about a Whitley ? I've got the expensive Czech kit in my stash, but maybe it would be nice if this kit were more accessable.

The early Harvard 1 with the curved rear canopy and early rudder, and a decent Harvard II with the same canopy and decent cockpit, I'll also go along with a nice new tool Wildcat and Defiant but the Tiger Moth is waaaaayyyyy over due!!!!!

Suppose it depends if you're a Spitfire fan or not but a nice new MkXIV and XIX in 1/48 would be nice along with an affordable new 1/48 Hurricane, scale up their new 1/72 Mustang to 1/48, that would do for me.

Not WW2 but if they scale down the 1/48 Lightning to 1/72, they would be on to a sure-fire winner

In 1/72, a Defiant and a Blenheim would be winners. With the latter it shouldn't be too tricky to organise the molds to provide a Mk I and a Mk IV. As a wildcard, I'd like a Miles M.20 but I doubt they'd sell many.

In 1/72nd scale I would like to see new tools of - Defiant - Blenheim (multi-nose mk1-5 kit) - Beaufighter - Halifax (to show Revell how it really should be done) - Battle - Hudson (w. different engines & a Lifeboat) - Stirling.

David.

I don't care what they make next, because I won't be buying it.

One does wonder about Airfix. To be so lax when making their new kits and NOT correcting them once errors are know???? The canopy for the 109E comes to mind. Several items in the Mk.I Spitfire also.

But if they make a P-40B/C, I'll buy one just to see if they surpassed Monogram/Revell's!!

Bo

What WW2 would I like to see from Airfix? Easy ABSOLUTELY NO MORE SPITFIRES,BF-109s, FW-190s, P51s,P-47s!!!!! I would like them to use a bit of imagination for once & stop issuing the same old hackneyed, done to death already subjects!!

Rant over! (oh, please,may I respectfully request you all spare me the "Spitfires et al sell" argument. I am sure they do! I do not need reminding!!)

Rant REALLY over now! :rolleyes: . Here's my list

C-46 Commando

C-47/DC-3 ( I don't think there is a really modern kit in 1/72 of the most widely produced transport in aviation history!)

Avro York

Avro Manchester/Radial engined Lancaster

Handley Page Harrow

Halifax B.III

Stirling

Blenheim 1, IV, V (1/48 would be nicE), Hampden, Whitley, Wellington, Hudson, Albacore, Sunderland (I'm sure the new, seemingly never to be released Italeri kit will be grossly over priced & unaffordable!!),

C-54, PB4Y Privateer,B-32 Dominator ( fantasising now!!),Douglas A20 Havoc/Boston, Lockheed Ventura, Typhoon & Tempest, Defiant.

B-17 ( all versions PRIOR to the E model!)

Now, the opposition!

JU-52/352. Ju90, Ju 86,Dornier 17/215/217 series. Ju 88/188/388/G series Night fighter. Blohm und Voss BV-222 & BV 141.

Am I right in thinking that some Italeri kits were re boxed by Airfix at one time? (CH-47, DC-3?) Be nice to se the ME321/323/HE-111Z again ( I refuse to pay £70+ for the Hasegawa 111Z!)

Phew! Think that's enough to be going on with!!

One does wonder about Airfix. To be so lax when making their new kits and NOT correcting them once errors are know???? The canopy for the 109E comes to mind. Several items in the Mk.I Spitfire also.

Bo

Hi Bo,

not 'sticking up' for Airfix but they aren't the only company that 'drops the ball' with kits / new kits.

Revell: NEW tool Lanc, B-17, Hallibag, Tamiya: SHAR, Trumpeter: Su-27, NEW Su-27, A-7..................

Hope the following doesn't burst too many bubbles.

The modeller, always crying out for accuracy and always after the 'perfect kit' ain't ANY of the manufacturers (excepting Skybirds '86 and possibly High Planes)

'target market', it's what used to be refered to as the 'pocket money' market.

Little 'Jimmy' isn't bothered if a canopy is wrong or panel lines out of place. All he's bothered about is 'how fast can i make it, and play with it, and does it LOOK like a "scruggs wonderplane"?'

It's now the 'bean counters' that run companies, rather than engineers, brewers, doctors etc. if it increases the 'bottom line', they are 'happy bunnies' if it decreases.................!

Worth remembering, it's 'little Jimmy' and 'Aunt Flo' that give the profit for the companies to invest in R&D, NOT the modeller.

Paul

Hi Bo,

not 'sticking up' for Airfix but they aren't the only company that 'drops the ball' with kits / new kits.

Revell: NEW tool Lanc, B-17, Hallibag, Tamiya: SHAR, Trumpeter: Su-27, NEW Su-27, A-7..................

Hope the following doesn't burst too many bubbles.

The modeller, always crying out for accuracy and always after the 'perfect kit' ain't ANY of the manufacturers (excepting Skybirds '86 and possibly High Planes)

'target market', it's what used to be refered to as the 'pocket money' market.

Little 'Jimmy' isn't bothered if a canopy is wrong or panel lines out of place. All he's bothered about is 'how fast can i make it, and play with it, and does it LOOK like a "scruggs wonderplane"?'

It's now the 'bean counters' that run companies, rather than engineers, brewers, doctors etc. if it increases the 'bottom line', they are 'happy bunnies' if it decreases.................!

Worth remembering, it's 'little Jimmy' and 'Aunt Flo' that give the profit for the companies to invest in R&D, NOT the modeller.

Paul

Agreed, 100%. Gotta hand it to GWH for correcting their P-61A. Hoping that this trend will catch on and Airfix IS known for their 'attention to detail'!! The 109E canopy and the Spit Mk. I two-bladed prop/vertical stab would be sooooo easy to rectify!!

If we don't expect quality, then that's what we'll get!! Just saying.

Bo

Edited by Bo Roberts

Uh-oh - You mean the 1/72 Mk.I Spitfire? I see from your later post that the two-bladed prop has a problem, and also the fin - are there other errors? I bought the kit specifically to do the early version with the two-blader - can you tell me how bad it is, or direct me to a more detailed review? Thanks!

What WW2 would I like to see from Airfix? Easy ABSOLUTELY NO MORE SPITFIRES,BF-109s, FW-190s, P51s,P-47s!!!!! I would like them to use a bit of imagination for once & stop issuing the same old hackneyed, done to death already subjects!!

Now yer talkin', although I'm not as badly opposed to more Spitfires as you are. But I like the "bit of imagination" part, which in my fevered brain translates to one or two Russian WWII types. As per my usual request, a replacement for the existing Yak-9D, and maybe a brand-new 1/72 Polikarpov I-153. Exotic and probably a total daydream, I know, but with some good camouflage and markings possibilities. ICM promised, but they seem to be going nowhere with this one. And not a reboxing of the Heller I-153!

Mmmm - no question, but I do wonder if the current new releases really are going to make Little Jimmy want to buy more Airfix kits, once he tries them. When I was a beginner, I was satisfied just to twist the parts off the sprues, glue them together, and look - it's a Hurricane! Try that with the 1/72 Spitfire Mk.22, for example, and see how many damaged parts you end up with. I realize these are not aimed solely at the beginner market, but maybe they need to look at what Zvezda has started doing - easy to build, snap-together kits but designed with plenty of detail to please the more advanced modeller as well. I think Airfix may have the formula backwards.

John

Edited by John Thompson

Uh-oh - You mean the 1/72 Mk.I Spitfire? I see from your later post that the two-bladed prop has a problem, and also the fin - are there other errors? I bought the kit specifically to do the early version with the two-blader - can you tell me how bad it is, or direct me to a more detailed review? Thanks!

John

No, I'm referring to the 48th scale Spit. The vertical stab is mal-shaped and the two-blade prop appears swept back!!!

There are others as well, but a perfect kit doesn't exist. We can wish, tho.

Bo