1:72 CMR Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2, XV864, 809 NAS, RNAS Lossiemouth 1969

Wow, how did I miss this one, what a great look your model has, captured perfectly the bizarre combination of brutishness and elegance in the design.

Great modelling all round.

Seen some lovely Buccs from unusual kits recently, must be the rain!

Al

general melchett said:
inspiration to crack on with Scratchers 1/24th monster when it arrives..

Yes!!! We're all waiting to see that one! Proceed, sir!

Scratcher said:
Superb example! I haven't figured out how to realistically weather EDSG....

Me either, but I think it's getting closer. Same problem with black, etc. All I did here was paint the overall EDSG, and then use a very thinned down mix of DSG over the top in random patterns. The patterns are not based on anything in particular, just what I thought looked good. :)

PHaTNesS said:
Seen some lovely Buccs from unusual kits recently, must be the rain!

Yes, some great Buccaneers lately! For me, it's an overlooked aircraft (especially by the kit manufacturers). There's about a million F-4 Phantom kits in 1:72 scale, but only 4 Bricks? It's shameful.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates,

This weekend my daughter told me that the windscreen on the Brick looked like it was just "sitting there" and wasn't part of the plane. I had another look, and of course she was right! But how could I fix this now that the model is finished?? :wacko:

When I cut out the vacuform canopy, I did a lousy job of matching the curves on the bottom of the windscreen to the front fuselage. What I should have done during the build was to blend the windscreen into the fuselage prior to painting. Here is what the cock-up looks like:

100_2215

Since the model is already done, I can't use putty to blend it in. So out came the wall plaster, which I applied sparingly as so:

100_2220

(Boy, I hope this works!) "Sanding" of the wall plaster is done with water and a cotton "Q-Tip" swab. I was as careful as I could be in smoothing and blending the plaster between the windscreen and the fuselage. Here is the result:

100_2222

Then, I was very careful to apply a small amount of Tamiya tape to allow me to touch up the EDSG paint job. This picture shows how the model looked after the paint touch-up but before the tape is removed:

100_2223

I took off the tape, inadvertently removing the wiper blade in the process, and I wasn't really happy with it. It was close, but it still needed more work. So I did this whole procedure again. This time, I think it's OK. Here is how she looks now:

100_2234

100_2237

100_2235

I took the opportunity to put the wiper blade back on properly this time! So there it is, I hope you think it looks better. I see that I have a very small area on the windscreen frame to touch up, but that will be with a detailing brush not my airbrush. OK, now I pronounce this done!! :)

Next time, how about you guys let me know when I've screwed something up? It's too embarrassing to hear it from my daughter!!

Cheers,

Bill

When somebody delivers such a good result in the first place, no modeller worth his salt will maul somebody he doesn't know in person :fraidnot:

Far better to be told by someone close to you !

But you really succeeded in bettering your superb build :goodjob:

Rolf

Next time, how about you guys let me know when I've screwed something up? It's too embarrassing to hear it from my daughter!!

Cheers,

Bill

I didn't even notice Bill!! Maybe it was because the rest of the model just looked so good??! Excellent save though...!!

Keef

I didn't even notice Bill!! Maybe it was because the rest of the model just looked so good??! Excellent save though...!!

Ditto what Keef said! Our eyes were too busy looking at the overall effect to notice.

• 1 year later...

Well done on the windscreen - in fact well done on the whole model. I'd just like to make a couple of comments on the look of the CMR kit - this is nothing to do with your modelling, which is first rate, but for a kit that has phenominal detail and phenominal instructions there are a couple of things that just don't look right :

1. The nose forward of the canopy looks too small

2. The nosewheel and leg look too big

3. The fin tip bullets are too bulky for a Buccaneer of this era

I'm not just saying this flipantly, as I've been studying, painting and modelling Buccaneers for 40 years or more, since I did an apprenticeship with HSA at Brough in the late 60s and early 70s

If I was building one of these I think I would replace the nose and tailplane with the Freightdog resin bits which are very nice, and replace the nosewheel leg and wheel with one frrom an Airfix kit, de-RAF'ed by taking off the landing light.

But once again well done on the model, it looks the part despite my comments