KAI T-50B ROKAF "Black Eagles"

From black to grey....

DSC_3293.jpg

DSC_3294.jpg

... to black again!

DSC_3295.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg

Halfords primer followed by Halfords Glass Black. I masked the canopy with Bare-Metal self adhesive foil and then cut out the canopy frames. I have since removed the foil to find some residue, which I hope will come off easily!

I have yet to decide whether to pose the canopy open or closed. I've got some time to think about it, as I am not going to be able to do any more work on this until next week.

Looking Good AD!! :D

That kit looks the absolute mutts doo-daa's, and the actual subject livery is 100% eyepopping!! I just wish they would produce one in 1/72 'cos it's one I would love to do :Tasty: - As for the indecision about the pose . from the wealth of detail I've seen in the front end, you simply must do it with the lid open!! .. It'd be a crying shame to hide it all. and besides - it'll look more natural like that :coolio: Watching with interest :popcorn:

Tony R

Thanks Tony. So far, this is the nicest kit I have ever built. I don't normally do 1/48, but I just had to have this one! The completed build on ARC looked good with the kit decals, which are by Cartograf. The builder said that there was no bleed-through of the black. I haven't detailed the 'pit, so it might look better with the lid closed!!

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments, chaps. I'm just back from a romantic WW2/Cold War long weekend to Berlin with my wife and have started decalling my Golden Eagle. No disasters yet, but the big white markings don't seem to be settling into the surface detail. Pictures to follow.

P.S. if you haven't been to Berlin, it is a fascinating city with lots to appeal to those interested in 20th Century history. We walked between most of the tourist attractions. Avoid low-cost airlines and Berlin-Schonefeld Airport if you can, though....

Hi all

A couple more progress shots.

No major decal disasters (yet!), but they don't seem to join as well as the Belgian Syhart F-16AM decals. I will definitely need to touch up some gaps with paint (look at the white decal on the base of the spine in shot #2).

I still have nearly 50% of the decals to place, and it has taken me hours already!

DSC_3482.jpg

Fortunately, the decals settled into the surface detail eventually.

DSC_3486.jpg

Hi

A quick update on my Golden Eagle. All the main decals are placed on the model, but due to the decal placement sheet not being in colour, it is virtually impossible to work out where the myriad stencils go, as the black line on the diagram from the decal number disappears onto the black of the fuselage. I have looked at my photos and images on the internet, but am still at a bit of a loss. I might decide not to use them, as they don't seem to very obvious on the full-size machine!

Hi

Here are the promised pictures (delayed somewhat by the BM site maintenance!)

I think she's about 95% finished now. I still need to attach the fiddly bits, finish the cockpit and pilots and pose the canopy open (with access ladders). Then a final paint touch up, couple of coats of Klear followed by some very light weathering and the permanent fitment of the jet pipe (presently Blu Tacked).

The first image illustrates my above comment about the stencil placement diagram:

img047.jpg

Hopefully, you can see that the black lines from the decal number simply disappear onto the black fuselage!

And here is where I am now:

DSC_3664.jpg

DSC_3665.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210
  • Like 1

I have finished this beautiful kit. I am an average modeller with limited patience, but even I am pleased with the way this well-engineered kit has turned out.

I am not a fan of over-emphasising panel lines, so I gave a a very thin W&N Lamp Black wash to try and lift some of the exquisite detail (with limited success). I found the crew ladders a bit fiddly, and they are consequently slightly wonky!

I don't normally add crew figures, but seeing as the decal sheet included shoulder patches and helmet logos (including inividual team numbers), I just had to use them.

In summary - a truly lovely kit.

PS I have just noticed that I forgot to fix the back seater's instrument coaming, so that is also wonky in the pictures, but now sorted.

DSC_3666.jpg

DSC_3667.jpg

Wow!! - Beautiful piece of work and well worth the extra care you've given it - It really is a super looking subject and I'm so glad you decided to show it with the lid open after all, It really does make all the difference - Congratulations AD210 - Job well done! :clap:

Tony R

• 1 year later...

I am building this aircraft now. Can you advise me on the decals for the ejection seats. I cant find any instructions for them

• 3 weeks later...