RAF B-25G Mitchell

Seahawk

I came across in the 4 October 1945 Aeroplane Spotter 2 photographs of an RAF B-25G Mitchell coded "F" at Hendon on 15 September 1945. It seems as if this must be FR209 as the only other B-25G taken onto RAF charge, FR208, became maintenance airframe 4823M in February 1945. Does anyone know anything about the service history of this aircraft? Or, even better, know of any other photos of it? (Can you tell that, thanks to that nice Mr T7Models, I have acquired an Italeri B-25G at a not altogether unreasonable price?)

FR209 went to the ECFS and had it's gun nosed replaced by a standard bomber one - served into the early 50s.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment....mp;d=1287492076

History (Via Graham Boak) is:

FR208 AAEE/AFDU To 4823M 2.45

FR209 AAEE/ECFS/EFS/Met Res Flt To 6891M 13.9.51

However, you may have solved a small mystery, as I have seen (somewhere) an unidentified shot of an RAF B-25G with a code letter. I'll dig it out and we can compare notes!!

EDIT - Found it!

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment....mp;d=1226784258

(From http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=85923 - so if it Lubeck it might have been being used as a run around)

I had wondered if it was FR208 at the AFDU but if it was still around in that state in late 45, it must be FR209.

There was a story that one of the RAF B-25Gs was evaluated under combat conditions in Europe.

Oh, FR208 and Fr209 weren't the only two RAF B-25Gs - 42-65094, was 'acquired' in the Middle East/Italy and used as a transport for high ranking officers (initially AVM Tedder). It was seen around the Middle East and Arabia in 1945/6 - I have seen a photo of it taken at Sharjah (IIRC). I have a copy of the USAAF record card for that one, which records it as transferred to the UK, but it was never given a UK serial. I first saw it in an old Aeroplane issue, and it later turned up in the Crowood book on the B-25. It may have been a 'bitsa' created from more than one airframe, but it kept the serial of the B-25G. It had the large side windows.

Edited by Dave Fleming

Hi

To add to the movements of the B-25's.

one is recorded in the oficial diary at the PRO/NA as arriving at the gunnery research unit ( GRU ) at exeter, can't recall the date at the moment, my files are packed.

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

"Ask and ye shall receive"!. Thanks, great stuff. Pity about the service history: nothing remotely warlike then. Never mind, a model will still cause some headscratching.

One point on a model - the outlines of the ex-USAAF insignia were visible when delivered , I'll see if I can find the pics

Thanks again. Any ideas on what colour that code is? It's too contrasty for red and maybe medium sea grey. White? Yellow? And what do you make of the fin leading edges in the photo you provided the link to? They appear to be in a lighter colour - or is it just the light? (I'm away from the Aeroplane Spotter at the mo so can't see what light the photos there shed.)

Thanks again. Any ideas on what colour that code is? It's too contrasty for red and maybe medium sea grey. White? Yellow? And what do you make of the fin leading edges in the photo you provided the link to? They appear to be in a lighter colour - or is it just the light? (I'm away from the Aeroplane Spotter at the mo so can't see what light the photos there shed.)

[/quote

I have some photos of B25GS at boscombe, just pm me with your e mail addy and i,ll scan them for you, I won,t post them here posible copyright issues

rogerd

• Like 1