Is this unusual? (Sparmax Query)

goggsy

I was wondering if I could ask a bit of advice? I recently bought a Sparmax TC 610H compressor to replace a six year old cheap & cheerful tankless job that finally gave up the ghost. On opening the box I was blown away by how shiny and lovely it was, but on switching it on it is quite a bit noisier than I was expecting. The compressor sounds quite "rackety" (for want of a better word) and the top seems to get hot quite quickly (within about 10 minutes if the compressor cycles 4 or 5 times when spraying at the max psi of about 60). The output is fine, and it kicks in to refill the tank when it should, but the noise and heat seem wrong somehow. My old tankless "on demand" compressor was quieter and never seemed to get more than lukewarm, even when being used for hours on end.

I've seen a youtube video of a similar model that seems to have the same noise issue, so maybe they are just like that; I was wondering if anyone else had this experience?

Video for reference:

Any advice strongly appreciated.

Edited by goggsy

I dont have the same model butmy compressor is a little quieter but still sounds the same.Expect at the end my sound like a turbo dump(thats to do with the model not what it should be doing ;) ).

is it because you are spraying at 60 psi? try taking it down a bit. assuming it is normal model paint you are using, 20 psi is all you need

Yea, that is a humungous pressure for regular work... the 'rackety' noise may well be the loose-fit filter assembly (see

).

I have a Sparmax that looks much the same, but the filter is attached directly to the compressor body and the whole issue runs very quietly.

(Although now I'm beginning to wonder if the filter should be separated by the 'curly' hose, which I took to be for the actual brush connection...? Mine came with a warranty card but no manual.)

I have one of these and find it to be excellent. Is there any particular reason you need to have the PSI set so high? I find that a setting of between 15 and 20 is more than adequate.

Tony :clif:

Thanks for the responses. Just to be clear, I wouldn't normally spray at 60 psi but was just experimenting as my old compressor would only kick out 30 or so maximum. That said, because it is a tanked model it doesn't matter what pressure I am using as the compressor is only running to top up the tank, not supplying the air on demand; in other words, my understanding is that it doesn't have to work any harder to spray at 60psi as 20. If I spray at a higher pressure it has to kick in more often as the tank depletes more quickly, but it isn't pumping any faster. The only thing I could see myself spraying at that pressure would be Humbrol fluorescent acrylic, which is like airbrushing honey.

I've run my hands over it as it operates to see if there is anything obviously loose, and apart from the metal casing vibrating slightly everything is tight as a nut. Having watched the video suggested by BrandX I would say the noise of that Iwata is similar so maybe I'm being over sensitive about it, but it strikes me as a little odd that a £40 sweatshop throwaway compressor should be quieter and cooler in operation than a lovely £170 quality brand.

@Avro683 - As you have the same compressor, what is your take on the heat issue? I had a go at a scrap model tonight, a fuselage from a 1/48 Tigre, and after about 20 mins spraying the baffles and hose outlet at the top of the compressor were pretty hot. Not quite burn-your-hand hot, but definitely very warm. Does yours get like this, and how long do you run it for continuously without a break?

Edited by goggsy

Thanks for the responses. Just to be clear, I wouldn't normally spray at 60 psi but was just experimenting as my old compressor would only kick out 30 or so maximum. That said, because it is a tanked model it doesn't matter what pressure I am using as the compressor is only running to top up the tank, not supplying the air on demand; in other words, my understanding is that it doesn't have to work any harder to spray at 60psi as 20. If I spray at a higher pressure it has to kick in more often as the tank depletes more quickly, but it isn't pumping any faster. The only thing I could see myself spraying at that pressure would be Humbrol fluorescent acrylic, which is like airbrushing honey.

I've run my hands over it as it operates to see if there is anything obviously loose, and apart from the metal casing vibrating slightly everything is tight as a nut. Having watched the video suggested by BrandX I would say the noise of that Iwata is similar so maybe I'm being over sensitive about it, but it strikes me as a little odd that a £40 sweatshop throwaway compressor should be quieter and cooler in operation than a lovely £170 quality brand.

@Avro683 - As you have the same compressor, what is your take on the heat issue? I had a go at a scrap model tonight, a fuselage from a 1/48 Tigre, and after about 20 mins spraying the baffles and hose outlet at the top of the compressor were pretty hot. Not quite burn-your-hand hot, but definitely very warm. Does yours get like this, and how long do you run it for continuously without a break?

I must admit that so far I've not had any heat issues so far although I have to admit that the longest I've run it for continously so far is two hours. Presumably where you have sighted it allows for sufficient room for air circulation? Just a thought.

I must admit that so far I've not had any heat issues so far although I have to admit that the longest I've run it for continously so far is two hours. Presumably where you have sighted it allows for sufficient room for air circulation? Just a thought.

Yes, it just sits on my workbench on its own. The only thing that could be allowing heat to build up is the metal casing around the compressor/tank assembly, but that is factory fitted so presumably can't be at fault.

Just to be clear, does yours not get warm at all around the top heat sink? I was spraying at around 25psi last night, and the compressor was kicking in every 30 seconds or so for a period of 15-20 minutes.

You could try putting your compressor on top of a piece of matting , or a piece of carpet , this may help cut down on the noise.

I've done that, and it does make a bit of difference; it's now sitting on a closed cell foam knee pad for gardening (thick karrimat material). It damps the vibration a bit, but doesn't get rid of the "clatteryness". My old compressor had rubber feet that made a big difference, whereas this has solid plastic feet that seem to transfer all the vibration.

Yes, it just sits on my workbench on its own. The only thing that could be allowing heat to build up is the metal casing around the compressor/tank assembly, but that is factory fitted so presumably can't be at fault.

Just to be clear, does yours not get warm at all around the top heat sink? I was spraying at around 25psi last night, and the compressor was kicking in every 30 seconds or so for a period of 15-20 minutes.

Not that I have noticed. The compressor does kick in but it's more like for 30 seconds every 20 minutes or so,rather than the other way round, to maintain pressure.

Not that I have noticed. The compressor does kick in but it's more like for 30 seconds every 20 minutes or so,rather than the other way round, to maintain pressure.

Sorry, I realise that what I said before was unclear. What I meant was it kicks in every 30 seconds or so for about 5 seconds to maintain pressure; I was spraying for about 15-20 mins. I guess it depends what you are spraying at the time as to how quickly you use the air; as it happens I'm using a brand new Iwata Hi Line airbrush with the compressor, so I'm working on the assumption that it is using the air effectively.

Still, it sounds like you are having a very different experience with your machine than I am. Maybe I've got a duffer; I'm going to ring the supplier (Everything Airbrush) tomorrow to see what they suggest.

• 1 month later...

A quick update if anyone is interested. I spoke to the retailer and he seemed to think that what I was experiencing was normal so I've decided to carry on and keep an eye on it. It seems to be doing what it is supposed to although I have had to have a replacement filter assembly sent out as the gauge started bleeding air out of it. In fairness to Everything Airbrush they were very prompt and helpful in replacing the part, so I'd like to thank them for that.

• 9 months later...

Further to my posts last year, I've had ANOTHER failure of the regulator assembly. This time the plastic bowl that covers the water trap developed a split next to the release value and started bleeding air. I got in touch with the retailer and they have promptly replaced it FOC as it is still under warranty, but I'm starting to have doubts about the workmanship on these things. I mean, two faults in the space of a year on a £170 compressor?

That said, credit to Everything Airbrush for resolving the issue with the minimum of fuss, can't complain about their service.

Edited by goggsy

I sell loads of sparmax / Iwata compressors and not had this type of failure.

Have had one with an intermittent pressure switch failure.

Other than that there was a bad batch of vinyl hoses 6 or 7 years ago.

Paul.

Yes, it does seem bizarre but I can't understand how it could be anything other than defective material or workmanship. The first assembly failed in less than a month because of air leaking from the gauge, and the second within a year because of the plastic bowl splitting. Neither of these are parts that get much user interaction (ie they don't get fiddled with); all that they have done is be repeatedly charged and discharged with pressurised air, which is what they are designed to do. The retailer said that they haven't had these problems before, so I'm at a loss to understand why lightning has apparently struck twice.

Edited by goggsy

Mmm. If it happens again it'll be refund time.

I think it's just a coincidence, it does happen. And the problem has been sorted the problem out for you.

Paul

Yes, the problem has been sorted for me, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I'm misreading you here but you seem a little defensive about this. I haven't said anything about little cars in relation to this issue, nor have I criticised the actual retailer. What I do have is quite an expensive piece of kit that has developed an unusual set of problems in short order so I felt it was worth sharing the experience to see if anyone has found anything similar. If they haven't then that's fine.

Cheers

Not defensive, just pointing out that you have had a couple of minor problems and they have been solved by the supplier, as is normal.

As I haven't seen any photos of the regulator or the failed pieces, I can't confirm it is the same version that is fitted to the model I sell or speculate what has caused the second failure.

No one else has posted any issues and I can't remember any of my customers have reported any problem with this type of regulator/moisture trap assembly to me.

Paul

We did have some issues in the past with TC610-H regulators, not so much the regulator itself, but the way that it was packed in the box from factory.

The box is slightly longer than the compressor & the bubble wrapped regulator was packed in the narrow gap between the compressor front & the end of the box - with so little space & protection this caused quite a few regulators to get damaged (broken gauges & filter bowls......) & could also cause impact damage to the chrome front plate & braided air hose of the compressor, this issue has since been corrected.

I have this exact compressor, and have had it for 2 years - in fact I bought it from Paul at Telford. I think its been very good so far and still going strong.

Had to bleed it once as the tank started to sound slushy and a load of rusty water came out but I guess thats normal.

The noise sounds the same as mine. Yep its a little loud! I put mine on top of some stacked up old teatowels which helps dampen it a bit.

To be fair, you really shouldn't let it get to the stage when water is "slushing" about. Try to remember and drain on a regular basis (after use/weekly) to prolong the life of a very expensive item. Think of all the extra kits you could buy! :analintruder:

Not defensive, just pointing out that you have had a couple of minor problems and they have been solved by the supplier, as is normal.

As I haven't seen any photos of the regulator or the failed pieces, I can't confirm it is the same version that is fitted to the model I sell or speculate what has caused the second failure.

No one else has posted any issues and I can't remember any of my customers have reported any problem with this type of regulator/moisture trap assembly to me.

Paul

Right, sorry. I got the wrong end of the stick. Having a bad day.

• 6 years later...