AMT 1/48th Scale Douglas A-20J Havoc 'Starize'

Looking good and I agree Pete, I reckon you are over the most challenging parts of the build ( I built a G earlier this year, and turned a C into a DB-7 last year ). It should be fairly plain sailing from now on.

Thanks again for looking in everyone. I think that, as Graham says, the challenging part of the build is done, if you don't count the potential for disaster when painting anyway. Time for a big update and it's finally looking like I might finish it in time. I'm off on holiday for a nice break soon and really want to get this done before then because I would only have 2 days left of the group build when I get back and jet lag might make modelling the least of my interests for a few days after. I've been dabbling with a few different parts of the build and decided to add a bit of detail to the engines, they're not finished yet but nearly there. I also pushed on with the airframe and today finally saw some painting start. This really is a good little kit with not too many vices. The fit is really good considering the age of the kit and doesn't need too much filler. I will definitely build a gun nose version of this and an early 'B' at some point too. On with some pictures: -

I got some Zinc Chromate Green on the glass areas to start with: -

040.jpg

041.jpg

Followed by an undercoat of Alclad Grey Primer / Microfiller and a gentle sanding to smooth it out: -

044.jpg

045.jpg

And lastly a splash of Silver on the leading edges and inner wing tops ready for some chipping: -

046.jpg

Lastly a picture of the engines as they stand. I'm not going too crazy because you can't see much once fitted: -

043.jpg

Hopefully this week will see a big push on the paint and finishing up the engines and things.

Back soon

Pete

Thanks Mish & Arnold. I'm looking forward to seeing some paint and decals on too. I tried something different with the paint tonight just to try and make it look a bit worn. I painted the first coat of grey on the underside and then, using a sponge and maskol, dabbed some dots on and gave it a lightened grey coat. I removed the maskol added some more using the same technique and sprayed another lighter coat of grey. It looks good in the flesh but the pictures don't really show it as good as it looks. I'm pretty happy with this and can't wait to get some green on using the same method.

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

I was going to use salt weathering to do this but Maskol is like a lazy mans alternative and that describes my style perfectly. The easier the better and I think that it will look better once dirtied up at the end.

Green tomorrow and more pictures soon

I've managed to get the Olive Drab on between watching the amazing Paralympians on TV. I think I've enjoyed these more than the Olympics, what incredible athletes we've got in GB these days. The first coat was sprayed on evenly to get a good base for the carnage that followed. I then used the Maskol method to get a patchy effect and then sprayed on a thinner lightened coat and, as before removed the Maskol. Another session of dabbing Maskol on followed and then another thin coat of even lighter Olive Drab was sprayed on the panels. It's looking decidedly dodgy at the moment because it's still got Maskol on the leading edges and inner wings but I thought that I'd post a few piccies. I'm pretty pleased with how it looks, maybe a bit overdone in places on the chipping but it's going to be a well used A-20 when it's done. Onto the pictures: -

I hung the engine and prop on just to get a feel of how it will look: -

050.jpg

051.jpg

I also chipped up the top gunners position a bit because it looks well walked over on some of the pictures I've seen: -

052.jpg

An overall shot: -

053.jpg

And lastly one of the pilots hatch: -

054.jpg

Tonight I plan on having a go at the Medium Green patches that were on the leading and trailing edges of the wings and tails, should be fun and will finally start to look like the finish line is in sight.

Back soon

Pete

Very nice effect Peter - I am toying with achieving something akin to that with the B-26, however I may go about it differently as I don't have any Maskol! :banghead:

Andy, The Marauder would benefit from a dirty paint job too but lots of ways to achieve it without Maskol. I have been watching your build and it's putting me off starting mine until I get some shares in a filler company, looks good though. Arnold, I used Xtracrylix paints for this one and they went on really well.

I managed to get the Medium Green on tonight and the last of the Maskol off, which took some scrubbing in places. I might redo the inner wing and tone down the chipping a bit, we'll see. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it looks although I supect that they're weren't many planes that survived long enough to get this battered.

Onto some pictures: -

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

I've never done anything this way before so I'm largely making it up as I go along but there's no going back now.

Back soon

Pete

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it looks although I supect that they're weren't many planes that survived long enough to get this battered.

Hi Peter - love the look! Yes I will be trying a different tack on the Marauder - vive la difference! Your comments are valid for many, but looking at the pictures in Jerry Scutts' 'US medium bomber units of WWII' the condition of yours seems the norm even on relatively low mission counts.

Seems storing them outside in UK weather didn't do them much good and they were worked hard particularly early-1944 onwards where the pics I have show all manner of stains, scuffs and general 'muck' on the top and side surfaces.

Lovely stuff

Progress moves swiftly on. I managed to get some gloss coats on early Sunday and that meant that the few decals it has could go on yesterday evening. As usual with Microscale printed decals they went on perfectly and it's now ready for a sealing coat and some dirtying up. I managed to pick up another A-20B/C from Duxford on Saturday as well, so at least one more to build in the future.

Here's how she looks this morning: -

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

More soon

Pete

• Like 1

All done and ready for the gallery. I spent a couple of late nights working on this and it's now safely tucked away in the display case. A few minor niggles at the end but not too bad a kit at all. I didn't get to add as much dirt as I'd have liked but I think that it looks fairly well used. Last few pictures and then off to the gallery: -

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0374.jpgIMG_0391.jpg

Thanks for the interest.

Pete

Yes! That's what it was missing - that last layer of dirt and grime. Virtually every pic I have of an operational US medium has that patina of engrained dirt on it and you've captured that beautifully to my eye Peter!

Looking good Pete! :goodjob:

Can I only make one comment. I would also weather the decals a bit. It looks heavy beaten up, but not the decals.

For the rest is it a great looking model. :wow:

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...