Spectrum Patrol Car

I built this ages ago.

It was designed with working features, sprung load missiles firing

through the head lamps.

I left the missiles out and just built it as a display model.

I used chrome tape to do the piping on the car.

SPC2.jpg

SPC1.jpg

SPC3.jpg

SPC4.jpg

SPC5.jpg

SPC7.jpg

SPC6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I built this ages ago.

It was designed with working features, sprung load missiles firing through the head lamps.

I left the missiles out and just built it as a display model.

That always annoyed me about this type of Japanese kit - the "working features" that meant it was more of a toy. The ultimate had to be Tamiya's 1/70 Apollo spacecraft - the original release had a propeller fitted to the back end so that when you hung it from a string and set it going, it would fly round and round, presumably in ever-decreasing circles. Whether or not it vanished up its own SPS engine bell is unknown as fortunately these parts were left out of the 40th anniversary reissue.

However that is a nice job of the Patrol Car - I had one of those many years ago, along with the SPV and MSV, both of which had similar features. Don't think I ever finished them.

That always annoyed me about this type of Japanese kit - the "working features" that meant it was more of a toy. The ultimate had to be Tamiya's 1/70 Apollo spacecraft - the original release had a propeller fitted to the back end so that when you hung it from a string and set it going, it would fly round and round, presumably in ever-decreasing circles. Whether or not it vanished up its own SPS engine bell is unknown as fortunately these parts were left out of the 40th anniversary reissue.

However that is a nice job of the Patrol Car - I had one of those many years ago, along with the SPV and MSV, both of which had similar features. Don't think I ever finished them.

Not all those parts were left out of the Apollo, just the motor and the battery tabs (the plastic bits remained). And an instruction sheet telling you NOT to use them was also included. BTW, the ceiling bit had a turning head, so the Apollo always flew in a constant circle (not in an ever decreasing one).

Nice work on the Spectrum car. It looks great! Japanese kits with toy features is how it was in the 1970s. But build them as display models and you can end up with some very nice looking models in the end.

• 3 weeks later...