Matchbox Norseman (1/72)

Nigel Heath

Not sure this is the right forum as this little aircraft operated before, during and well after WWII (indeed it is still flying commercially) plus it has had military and civil versions. Anyway, I am about to start building this kit after it has sat in my stash for nearly thirty years. I have searched for any aftermarket bits but appart from some decal sheets and a resin radial engine I can't find anything. Is there anything out there? The kit was reissued by Revell a couple of years back so I thought there might be something. A couple of ladders would be a good starting point - otherwise it'll have to be out with the brass wire and soldering iron. I want to build the float plane version which is why I bought it in the first place

Any tips from anyone who has built this kit or the Revell incarnation would also be appreciated.

Nigel

without trying to be funny, google is your friend...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=matchbox+norseman

probably the most useful here, but you may find more.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/...t__t_18685.html

Tricky kit to build, fitting the floats was a nightmare, very delicate!

a member there John L has a build in works in progress, I had a quick look/search, but there are 19 pages. Some interesting other bits on a breif look so wouldn't be a waste of your time to plough through the lot

HTH

T

I wrote a book on the Norseman some years ago. It describes the type's history and sub-variants, Norwegian military and civil service, and how to build (and correct) the Matchbox kit. Included are 3-plan drawings of Mk.IV and Mk.VI, based om measurements from real aircraft. The book is still available from the publisher, FlyGloster.

Nils

Thanks gents,

I had spotted the book and was in two minds about ordering it. Anyway, I just tried to order it and got an error message (server error) - any suggestions as to how I can order it?

You can try contacting the publisher directly by e-mail, Mats Averkvist <[email protected]>. If this also fails, I will be able to send you a copy.

Mind though that the coming three weeks are the peak of summer vacation in Norway.

Nils

FWIW there is also an article on the Matchbox Norseman with 1/72nd scale plans (showing engine variations, floats, wheels and skis) by Joop Wenstedt together with photos of the real aircraft and model in the March 1986 issue of Scale Models International (Vol. 17 No. 197 ISSN 0036-5432).

Coming to the party a bit late, but regarding drawings, I just found this while looking for information on RCAF Mustangs:

http://www.norsemanhistory.ca/

Click on "Original Drawings" in the left column. HTH!

John

These drawings seem to be quite accurate. They depict the Mk.V, which was derived from and was nearly identical to the Mk.VI. The Mk.IV however was quite different. Unfortunately, the Matchbox/Revell kit is a mix of the two variants and thus not correct for any of them.

Nils