ERMT-1 - Extended Routemaster Trolleybus (Version 1)

Nice work, but I feel the grill is wrong...

How about a front like the original RM1?

I'm going to keep it the same as the Routemaster. I wanted the Routemaster shape. The radiator grill is going to be slat vented. well that's the idea. too much work to change it now. I like the look now. Will also look much better when painted.

Thanks

David.

The updated front looks just the ticket! How will you adapt the glass to fit or just scratch build a new one completely?

Hello

Thanks for your comment. The glass, I have plenty of spare panes. I will cut and shape to fit. Will be easy compared to the front modifications. I'm pleased with the look now. Plenty trimming and smoothing off to do. I'm currently putting the riveted banding on the modified side. Really excited about the use of the extra space inside. Lots of ideas to toy with.

Thanks

David.

David

Wonder if this might be of some use to you. I was scouting about looking for the detail of how the trolley bus gets its power and stumbled across this web site: -

Trolley Bus Sections and Plans

Maybe of much usefullness in the thought processes for the frontage of the bus as it has cab details, cut out schematic for the motors and all sorts of stuff on a typical trolley bus !!!!

You may just want to give the driver more space in the front with clear view to his mirrors !!!!!!!!!

Saw it and instantly thought of yours !!!!!!!!!!

Hope it is of some use

Nige

Hello there.

Thank you very much for the link. I did actually look at this site, but not in any detail. I have plenty ideas about the cab area and extra space were the engine is. It's all very much artistic licence really. I'm just going on what looks good aesthetically.

Thanks again for thinking of my build.

David.

p.s. will certainly take some ideas from the site.

looks much better with the centre vertical revision.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the appearance. I just needed somebody else to tell me it didn't quite look right. I'm very happy with the look now. I wanted to keep the Routemaster shape by leaving the bonnet nose shape. The grill will be slatted I think. Will see how that looks...

Really like this David, doing a top job!

Many thanks. Great to know many of you are following my build.

David.

More progress

More work on the front and side windows. Also streamlined wheel arches on the back. Lots more tidying of edges to do. Coming along nicely I thinks...

Spare rear window is big enough to use on this front side window...with some careful cutting

ogjeobe021.jpg

ogjeobe004.jpg

ogjeobe007.jpg

ogjeobe010.jpg

ogjeobe009.jpg

ogjeobe002.jpg

ogjeobe011.jpg

ogjeobe017.jpg

ogjeobe008.jpg

ogjeobe020.jpg

ogjeobe024.jpg

ogjeobe025.jpg

ogjeobe026.jpg

Edited by Model69

I think it looks better without the skirts over rear axles

I appreciate your comment, but the skirts are staying on. They still need to be fine tuned. Will look even better when they are the same colour as the rest of the bus. This idea was copied from a trolleybus that existed. I like them.

David. :D

I appreciate your comment, but the skirts are staying on. They still need to be fine tuned. Will look even better when they are the same colour as the rest of the bus. This idea was copied from a trolleybus that existed. I like them.

David. :D

Hi Dave ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Have to admit I am with Hawk on that one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but rightly, you are the designer. If R.J. Mitchell was not in control, I am sure the Spitfire might not have looked so good either !!!!!!!!

You are fair making progress mate !!!!!!!

Nige

Hi Dave ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Have to admit I am with Hawk on that one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but rightly, you are the designer. If R.J. Mitchell was not in control, I am sure the Spitfire might not have looked so good either !!!!!!!!

You are fair making progress mate !!!!!!!

Nige

Lol! skirts are still staying on! I love these images of the trolleys with their skirts on. It's a bit like the vintage VW Beetle...you either like the rear wheels with skirts on or not. I'm a big VW fan

foyp001.jpg

foyp002.jpg

Edited by Model69

As I say, you are the R.J Mitchell on this one Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She'll never fly though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pics of trollies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some might think you are off your trolly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

As I say, you are the R.J Mitchell on this one Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She'll never fly though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pics of trollies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some might think you are off your trolly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Yeah I must be off my "trolley" to do all this modification, and use two kits to do it. I'm loving it all though.

Back at work on Monday, so the work will come to a sudden stop for a week or so. But I will update as an when I'm able.

Thanks

David.

Although I cant say I entirely like the boxed in front it is slowly growing on me, especially now that the gab between the two windows has been thinned. I was thinking of your dilema on what to do about the empty space where the engine bay normally sat and my thinking would be to use divider to seperate the passenger cab from the drivers cab, and put in two drivers seats, extend the dash across, have some boxes, first aid kit and other junk you can imagine sitting around, and that seat would be used much like they are on tube trains by London Transport officials, Bus inspectors, Instructors, Transport Police and even the conductor at the end of a long shift on the return to the depot.

If you felt adventurous you could maybe make a door going into the passenger cabin on the divider.... Just an idea, as has been said before this is your baby your project.

James,

P.S, I like the skirts!

A fascinating project demonstrating a great deal of imagination and skill.

The Routemaster was, of course, introduced as part of the trolleybus replacement programme so this model is a sort of history reversal. It is interesting just how much the Routemaster resembled the Q1, given the former was the result of "blue sky" thinking. It just shows how traditional Chiswick was and how organisations in days gone by were reluctant to ditch templates that worked.

There is a historical note that does jar with this project. Had LT decided to replace trolleybuses with a new version on a one for one, seat for seat, basis there would have been no need for a third axle as, by the time the 27ft 6in Routemaster hit the streets, two axle 30ft buses of all types were legal.

A fascinating project demonstrating a great deal of imagination and skill.

The Routemaster was, of course, introduced as part of the trolleybus replacement programme so this model is a sort of history reversal. It is interesting just how much the Routemaster resembled the Q1, given the former was the result of "blue sky" thinking. It just shows how traditional Chiswick was and how organisations in days gone by were reluctant to ditch templates that worked.

There is a historical note that does jar with this project. Had LT decided to replace trolleybuses with a new version on a one for one, seat for seat, basis there would have been no need for a third axle as, by the time the 27ft 6in Routemaster hit the streets, two axle 30ft buses of all types were legal.

Thank you for your comments. That's a very interesting fact, that you have stated. I just couldn't resist converting this Revell kit. I'm a big fan of the Q1. Will be visiting Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum soon, to get some more inspiration/images. I'm also reading a book by Charlie Wyatt who started work as a Trolleybus Conductor in 1951 (London). It's a fascinating read and full of lovely images. The two black & white images are from that book. The book is called "Beneath the Wires of London". My copy is from the library.

Thanks again

David.

Thank you for your comments. That's a very interesting fact, that you have stated. I just couldn't resist converting this Revell kit. I'm a big fan of the Q1. Will be visiting Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum soon, to get some more inspiration/images. I'm also reading a book by Charlie Wyatt who started work as a Trolleybus Conductor in 1951 (London). It's a fascinating read and full of lovely images. The two black & white images are from that book. The book is called "Beneath the Wires of London". My copy is from the library.

Thanks again

David.

Must try and get hold of that book.

A few more thoughts for you. The retention of the radiator is reminiscent of the vestigal radiators on early British trolleybuses but, from the point of view of maintenance, you should replace the grille with blanking plates. With no need for an air intake the grille will just be a dirt trap with just a blank behind it. The cooling fan on a motorbus keeps the air flowing round a radiator and there is space for any dirt/leaves etc. to fall, not so on a trolleybus.

Again the valances over the rear wheels are a maintenance nightmare. Apart from the fact they trap far more dirt than normal wheel arches, they either have to be removed or the vehicle has to be jacked up far further than with normal wheel arches when changing a wheel. The routemaster was designed to make maintenance easy, as would have been any trolleybus based on the design.

The most accurate filler for the nearside blank space where the engine would be on a Routemaster would be a curved casing ahead of the bulkhead between the front seats and the compartment. This was standard on BUT (the trolleybus alliance between AEC and Leyland at the time of the Routemaster's introduction) trolleybuses and housed control gear. You can just see it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_...uk_-_559504.jpg painted green and carrying the fleet number in white