ERMT-1 - Extended Routemaster Trolleybus (Version 1)

I think you might consider putting some form of separator or partition in part-way long the side seats. With 7 people sitting side by side, acceleration and deceleration could have got quite uncomfortable for those sitting at either end! One of my favourite seats on my bus to school was the bench seat on the left, right next to the window facing backward into the boarding platform. With 4 people sitting on the bench seat, you would often get a bit squashed as the bus accelerated as the people beside you got rocked side to side!

Was that so you could watch the ladies going upstairs? :wicked:

No worse than a 3 axle riged truck TBH

That's what I thought too. The Peterbilt I am going to build has the same layout, and will be carrying far more weight than my trolleybus.

Time off work is giving me plenty of time to work on my trolleybus. I scratch built the roof details. Not finished yet. Plenty more to trim, cut, add etc etc... more update images to follow later in the week. Some of you will notice some parts iv'e used. It's all artistic licence. I have no idea what should really go up on top of the roof, but I think it looks convincing enough. The poles are hinged so as to move up and down and sideways to follow the curves in the road. Cables, insulators and springs will be added too..

yyggi001.jpg

yyggi004.jpg

yyggi005.jpg

yyggi014.jpg

yyggi008.jpg

yyggi003.jpg

David.

Edited by Model69

I love that, proper smart!! Are you going to put it onto a base with cable above?

Hello there

Not really thought that far ahead yet. I have designed the poles so that they are hinged, to go up and down and sideways too. Keep watching this thread....

Thanks

David.

Edited by Model69

I love the use of the front steering components etc for your leccy pick up section, very clever.

Mac

Cheers! well i thought it looked rather good. I did add parts then took them away. Just needs to look convincing. I will be adding some cables, springs and insulators too. I still have loads to do on the roof section, so keep watching.

Thanks for your continued interest....

David.

Hi David

That looks so convincing at that length !!!!!!!!!!!!! Any thoughts as to what you will do with the big radiator and the dead space where the engine won't be ?????????? Seems a shame not to take full advantage of the extra space for fair paying passengers, pram space or luggage space !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at most of the trolley buses, it looks as though they have a simple air intake, possibly for interior heating on the front.

This going to look so nice with adverts and a colour scheme !!!!!!!!! Will you be going with London bus red again to really show off the contrast with the sizes of your fleet ????????????

WELL IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will there be another bus arriving soon after ???????????????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Nige

Hi David

That looks so convincing at that length !!!!!!!!!!!!! Any thoughts as to what you will do with the big radiator and the dead space where the engine won't be ?????????? Seems a shame not to take full advantage of the extra space for fair paying passengers, pram space or luggage space !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at most of the trolley buses, it looks as though they have a simple air intake, possibly for interior heating on the front.

This going to look so nice with adverts and a colour scheme !!!!!!!!! Will you be going with London bus red again to really show off the contrast with the sizes of your fleet ????????????

WELL IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will there be another bus arriving soon after ???????????????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Nige

Hello there

Thank you very much for your kind words. Also thanks for your ideas on the engine bay area and front grill. This trolley bus will be London Transport red, with cream banding running just under lower deck windows and upper deck. A black outline to the cream band also. I was thinking of slat venting the front grill. Again this will be trial and error I think. I have plenty spare parts to practice with.

I really wish that Tamiya or Revell/Monagram would bring out a 1/24th scale Q1 Trolleybus. I just love the shape of it. My idea for the Routemaster trolleybus is based on the Q1

The Q1 i'm basing my trolleybus on... although loosly I might add

lttbus05-1.jpg

RM1 - my big! big! project...

5087317392_715be1f604_z.jpg

Can I ask a totally numpty question ???????

How do the contact poles stay in contact with the cantenery wires?????? I understand the poles pivot and are sprung to raise them and I know that trolley busses have been known to come off contact when having to avoid something, but how do the contacts generally stay on the wires. Are there guides either side of the contact that the wires track through ??????????

Nige

Can I ask a totally numpty question ???????

How do the contact poles stay in contact with the cantenery wires?????? I understand the poles pivot and are sprung to raise them and I know that trolley busses have been known to come off contact when having to avoid something, but how do the contacts generally stay on the wires. Are there guides either side of the contact that the wires track through ??????????

Nige

Hello there.

Looks like somebody else has already answered your question. (richellis)

David.

Edited by Model69

Back again!

Well I have worked on the poles, pole retainers and the big job of squaring off the front of bus. I am toying with the idea of a double bench seat to sit over the wheel arch. This giving a view of the driver and distraction, so i'm not sure. maybe just an extra space for luggage/access inside. Again i'm not sure. Anyway., here are the latest images. (Please note that the front end is not finished off, as you can see. Roof not complete either).

trolleybus16018.jpg

trolleybus16017.jpg

trolleybus16010.jpg

trolleybus16013.jpg

trolleybus16011.jpg

This looks crude, but will look great when all cut back and smoothed off. Plenty to do!

trolleybus16015.jpg

trolleybus16014.jpg

trolleybus16012.jpg

trolleybus16021.jpg

trolleybus16016.jpg

trolleybus16020.jpg

trolleybus16008.jpg

trolleybus16003.jpg

trolleybus16007.jpg

trolleybus16004.jpg

Edited by Model69

More progress & comparison ...

gergerger017.jpg

gergerger010.jpg

gergerger011.jpg

gergerger020.jpg

gergerger009.jpg

Still a lot of sanding, scraping, smoothing off, shaping to do, but starting to look ok. Hard work getting the curve of the corner to blend in, and match the driver's side cab.

gergerger006.jpg

gergerger008.jpg

Edited by Model69

loving the full front, but reckon the central vertical needs to be thinner.

I was thinking that my self, but It meant another major cut and finding larger glass for the frames. But It's now worth the change I think. Aesthetically it has to look right. Watch this space I guess.

Thanks

David.

Quick photoshop image after realizing that the window central space was too wide.. All my followers - please tell me which window format looks best. Is this one below the better option???????

The image isn't bang on centrally, but you get the idea. Just incase you were wondering, the riveting bands have not been added yet to the front right side

gergerger008-1.jpg

Edited by Model69

Facelift has gone ahead. This is the final look regarding the front of the bus. Was a bar stool of a job to get right. Trimming off to do yet. Looks much better I thinks. Thanks for your honesty on the build and overall look..

tft9oto005.jpg

tft9oto002.jpg

tft9oto007.jpg

tft9oto008.jpg

David.

Edited by Model69

Yep David

Brutal chopping and more headaches for you in getting the glass to look right. Certainly nothing that is going to hold you back from making a fantastic finish.

It had to be done, and you did the perfect solution as ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The proportions look splendid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not so many blind spots for the driver now !!!!!!!!!!!

You are doing a master class in the cut and shut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

David

Wonder if this might be of some use to you. I was scouting about looking for the detail of how the trolley bus gets its power and stumbled across this web site: -

Trolley Bus Sections and Plans

Maybe of much usefullness in the thought processes for the frontage of the bus as it has cab details, cut out schematic for the motors and all sorts of stuff on a typical trolley bus !!!!

You may just want to give the driver more space in the front with clear view to his mirrors !!!!!!!!!

Saw it and instantly thought of yours !!!!!!!!!!

Hope it is of some use

Nige