ERMT-1 - Extended Routemaster Trolleybus (Version 1)

After playing around with the seating arrangement - the total seating for the bus is 82. 48 upstairs 34 downstairs - with plenty of room between for legs + entry/exit safety. isle being same width as downstairs when done. Obviously the seating is just sitting on the floor at the moment untill I get around to doing the frames.

o9o5014.jpg

Poles rotating to follow the curves/overhead cables

fogh003.jpg

o9o5016.jpg

damaged the transfer on bench seat, but have plenty spares.

o9o5005.jpg

Edited by Model69

Thanks for your comments guys. I think the hardest part of the build is over now. Now for the laborious job of doing the upper seating. Very last job is the windows, but that's quite a way down the line yet...

Edited by Model69

Looking good.

If I had one comment, it would be the upstairs seating capacity. The 27' 6" RM has 36 seats upstairs and the 30' RML has 40 seats upstairs. Your trolley is 2' 6" longer than an RML, but you have managed to squeeze in 8 more seats. To match the seat spacing of the RM and RML, I would have gone with 44 seats upstairs. Having said that, it is your design, so you have the last say!

• Like 1

Looking good.

If I had one comment, it would be the upstairs seating capacity. The 27' 6" RM has 36 seats upstairs and the 30' RML has 40 seats upstairs. Your trolley is 2' 6" longer than an RML, but you have managed to squeeze in 8 more seats. To match the seat spacing of the RM and RML, I would have gone with 44 seats upstairs. Having said that, it is your design, so you have the last say!

Well after positioning the seats, there seems to be plenty of room between them all. So I figured that the 48 seating capacity was valid. When fitting the seat frames, i will double check the spacing and make sure that it looks plausible. Thanks for your input

Typical..... can build a trolley Bus but cant work a car.....

hahha only kidding mate, I hope you get it fixed soon, the Trolley bus is excellent it is awe inspiring.... amazing to see how well its worked out!

Car fixed now, but cost me £80 to put right. faulty wiring loom to the Petrol Pump Relay

Some thoughts on seating based on Construction and Use for the late 1950s:

Upper deck - You probaly have an inner dimension of 31 ft 6 ins clear floor length. A reasonable seat pitch would be 31 inches. This would give 12 rows of seats on the nearside, being 11 x 2 plus 1 x 3 at the extreme rear alongside the stair. On the offside you would have 9 rows x 2 plus 1 x 1 (to allow circulation at the stairhead), giving a total of 44.

Downstairs you have positioned the offside emergency exit window as the second lower deck bay. On vehicles where this is positioned as the first bay, there is circulation room (admittedly limited) between the bulkhead and the front seat. You will need to allow floorspace access to the window (a scale foot would be adequate) so the seat pitch between one set of seats adjacent to the window will need to be 43 inches.

Let's assume 210 inches between the front bulkhead and the forward side of the longitudinal seats. On the nearside you have room for 6.7 rows at 31 inch pitch. On the offside you have the same room but you need 1 row at 43 inch pitch, leaving room for 5.3 rows at 31 inch pitch. I'd match the gaps on each side and this will give a small gap between the back of the last row and the forward side edge of the longitudinal seats which, for safety, ought to be ocupied by some sort of soft covered dividers. Similarly the logitudinal seats need some form of division as trolleybuses have excellent acceleration and tend to have sharper brakes so the potential for unrestrained passengers to be injured is high.

In terms of the mid/late 1950s the length of unrestained longitudinal seats was restricted in the light of problems found in WW2 when a number of injuries were caused to passengers on single deckers which had been converted to longitudinal, peripheral seats to allow crush loading in standee configurations.

If you follow theabove, you will have a lower saloon seating capacity of 6 rows of 4 seats plus two rows of 7 longitudinal. This gives 38 seats so the total seats on the bus would be 82.

You also need to address the point of standees as you will have to show the seating capacity plus the number allowed to stand.

Union agreements and the Traffic Commissioners - in London the Met Police - determined the number which, in the period, was generally 5,whatever the bus length, as the poor conductor had to struggle past standees to collect fares

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

As I mentioned way back, you really need a partition or something halfway down the longitudinals as the side-to-side sway is bad enough with just 4, but with 8, people are going to get crushed!

Well its all very good indeed and has been a remarkable journey. :goodjob:

Are you going to put up some pictures of your detailing work just curious how your making the seats and grabrails.

Edited by eagle

Guys I really appreciate your input......................but this is getting all ...way to serious!

if you look at the standard Trolleybus of the era. There was no dividers on the benches that I have seen.

I will definately consider a divider between the front of the bench seat end and the last double forward facing seat. I have decided on 44 seating spaces upstairs. The bench seats are for 7 seated - 3 double seats and 1 single = 7 therefore 20 forward facing seat spaces 20+14=34 and 44 upstairs. Therefore total capacity is 83 with 5 standing downstairs. This is my final seating plan or I will go mad with confusion. :-)

I was going to go into a deal of detail re dimensions based on official drawings but David has decided what he wants to do. All I would say is that Construction and Use dictated that vehicles built in the mid 1950s had to have no more than five longitudinal seats without some form of separation.

I was going to go into a deal of detail re dimensions based on official drawings but David has decided what he wants to do. All I would say is that Construction and Use dictated that vehicles built in the mid 1950s had to have no more than five longitudinal seats without some form of separation.

I have decided on the seat layout, but not ruled out the bench dividers at all. I would be lying if I said that i didn't enjoy all the attention that she is attracting. Cheers all...

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Christof

So busy with the move that I just haven't had any time to work on her. Best of luck with your RM build. Look up my posts for any referencing on RM build. Mine is the shortened version of the Revell RML.

David.

Attached this image just in case you not seen my RM build.

tyj6u46002.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

That's one hell of a route master conversion, excellent work.

• Like 1

Well here are the latest images. The seating is so tedious though. She is now very close to being finished, but as usual i'll always find something that needs doing to her. Hope you like what i have done......

trolley10012.jpg

trolley10020.jpg

trolley10024.jpg

trolley10031.jpg

trolley10045.jpg

trolley10059.jpg

trolley10054.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some more comparison shots. test fitting the windows. Cab windows are vented openers, hinged at the tops. Don't know why I said it was nearly finished before....there's loads to do, but less time now to do it in. So I thought these shots would be interesting to view. Please note that she is not glued together fully yet.

trolley10054-1.jpg

trolley10028.jpg

trolley10057-1.jpg

trolley10060-1.jpg

trolley10064.jpg

trolley10050.jpg

trolley10010-1.jpg

trolley10028.jpg

trolley10016-1.jpg

trolley10080-1.jpg

trolley10079-1.jpg

trolley10070.jpg