ERMT-1 - Extended Routemaster Trolleybus (Version 1)

Hello again folks.

As you can see from the images, I have purchased my two RML kits. Other images are showing how I have marked out and cut the paneling. The other images are with the paneling taped, to see how it looks against my RM. Underneath I have gone for minor detail. I only shown the double drive. This Trolleybus is just my take on what could have been and is not accurate in any way. There are close similarities with the Q1 . Anyway, I hope you enjoy the images and also follow this post as I progress along. I'm really enjoying this project, but have to learn to walk away from it after 6 hours working on it.

trolleybusfullwindowextended003.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended011.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended012.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended015.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended016.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended017.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended018.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended019.jpg

Here, I removed the panel that holds the fuel cap. Replacing it with this blank one.

trolleybusfullwindowextended020.jpg

Some masking tape holding everything together. Wanted to see how she looked and also to make sure the panels fit together ok and that wheel arches line up with wheel set.

trolleybusfullwindowextended025.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended027.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended028.jpg

Excuse the paneling sitting low. This will be corrected when the interior panels are done, which will give the trolleybus the same correct height as my RM. Although a low rider looks rather cool wink.png

trolleybusfullwindowextended029.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended035.jpg

trolleybusfullwindowextended034.jpg

Route destination blind will be repeated on this side of the bus (in about the same location - ideally so that the blind can be changed via handle on the staircase).

trolleybusfullwindowextended030.jpg

Edited by Model69

A crackin start.

I may have to put my trolly RML into production, but Im not brave enough to chop a Revell kit so Ill use the KeilKraft kit!

Hello there.

Well i'm confident cutting the panels now, after doing the RM from RML conversion. I will let you know about spare parts. I intend to do RM1 after this, so I may need some spares from this build. RM1 will be exact to the Museum example as much as possible. I will also attempt to correct the cab shape and other errors around the cab area.

I'm using the outer sprue tubing for the trolleybus bars, will have to do some trial runs with that, so will post when I have something that looks plausible.

David.

Edited by Model69

Looking very nice even at this early stage, David. I'll be following this with interest!

:popcorn:

Cheers! Gordon.

It's great fun to do, and I think a rather plausible vehicle too.

David.

Go for it David

This looks like it is gonna be a cracker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice idea and very plausible too !!!!!!! No harm in a little what-if-ery now and again !!!!!!!!!!!

Very brave to take two big kits on and have so much left over !!!!!!!!

Nige

Whilst doing the build, I noticed I got my earlier seating configuration wrong. Check out the image below. This shows what I have done on my model. Will attach a few more build images tomorrow.

6614060247_368020ac0b_b-3.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone

David.

Edited by Model69

Whilst doing the build, I noticed I got my earlier seating configuration wrong. Check out the image below. This shows what I have done on my model. Will load an image tomorrow.

6614060247_368020ac0b_b-3.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone

David.

Seats are actually further along on the top deck - from the staircase side

Progress so far

If you study the images you will see how I have modified the B frame and seating. 7 Bench seats per side, dual drive, etc.. Please feel free to ask any additional questions about the modifications. Please note...the modifications to the drive are only my idea, not specific to an actual trolleybus. My main concern is to get the seating/interior right and also the total outward appearance. The rest of the frame underneath will be covered in paneling up to the start of the B frame were it's hinged. There is lots of tidying up to do i.e sanding, cutting, priming, etc etc. I was going to do the suspension sprung with actual metal springs, but the process involved is just too complex. I may attempt it with the RM1 build, but for now the appearance of the suspension will just have to do.

gthws003.jpg

gthws009.jpg

gthws008.jpg

gthws010.jpg

Masking tape holding seating in place, just to get the idea of the finished seating arrangement

gthws005.jpg

trolleybusprogress006.jpg

gthws007.jpg

The frame is actually dead level and i'm really pleased that everything is falling into place. This image is slightly curved, but that's the lens in macro mode, distorting the image.

gthws004.jpg

Edited by Model69

Model engineering
:goodjob::speak_cool:
Thsi is what we like to see ,this is what its all about.Right before your very eyes. Edited by eagle

Hi :)

what do you use to cut the plastic and how do you mange to keep such a straight line and square edge. :goodjob:

If i use my finest razor saw I always get a wavy line and saw marks. :thumbsdown::undecided::banghead:

Hi :)

what do you use to cut the plastic and how do you mange to keep such a straight line and square edge. :goodjob:

If i use my finest razor saw I always get a wavy line and saw marks. :thumbsdown::undecided::banghead:

Hello there

I used a slim metal ruler and a Swam Mortan scalpel blade. I use a ultra slim straight edge blade to score against the ruler and curved edge blade to do the deep scoring. Once you have lightly scored, you can then follow the groove. Be careful though as it can just suddenly change course. Easy to rectify any stray runs though. I always glue both edges i.e. the separate panel edge and the space you are slotting into. Allow the glue to melt the plastic a little before inserting the panel. Then when it's in place, allow to dry for 15 minutes, then apply glue to the back of the insert joins, this helps the plastic to fuse together even better. Once the glue is hard, it can be scraped with the scalpel or sanded depending on access.

Hope this helps.

thr002.jpg

David.

Edited by Model69

Thats really cool, can I ask though, is this a what iff, or a real version? Not clued up on buses what so ever..

Hello

Thanks for your message. If you look at my posts on trolleybus it tells you about my build, and the idea behind it. Yes it's a what iff, but a very plausible one if compared with the Q1 trolleybus

Cheers

David.

Radleigh, this is a "What if". There were never any 3 axle Routemasters, or Routemaster based Trolleybuses for that matter.

Thanks, reason I asked was I bet it would be a pig to drive with 8 non-steering wheels on the back! Cool conversion though...

Radleigh, this is a "What if". There were never any 3 axle Routemasters, or Routemaster based Trolleybuses for that matter.

It's a nice what if! though. I just think the whole look of the bus is right. I did it as a trolleybus because as a bus with an engine, it would have been too thirsty and uneconomical. Now as a trolleybus on a set route without too many tight curves, then I think it would have been plausible. Now the Q1's were single wheeled on the rears rather than doubled up. I was told that this was for better turning on the spot. I picked for the doubled up twin axles because i thought they looked good visually. I also love the challenge this build brings.

David.

It's a nice what if! though. I just think the whole look of the bus is right. I did it as a trolleybus because as a bus with an engine, it would have been too thirsty and uneconomical. Now as a trolleybus on a set route without too many tight curves, then I think it would have been plausible. Now the Q1's were single wheeled on the rears rather than doubled up. I was told that this was for better turning on the spot. I picked for the doubled up twin axles because i thought they looked good visually. I also love the challenge this build brings.

David.

So allthough not an exact copy its based on a three axle trolley bus becuase i just looked at some images .Hence:-

there are plenty on google image

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=trolley+b...ioBw&zoom=1

Edited by eagle

So allthough not an exact copy its based on a three axle trolley bus becuase i just looked at some images .Hence:-

there are plenty on google image

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=trolley+b...ioBw&zoom=1

You not seen my trolleybus post then? look at my topics and you will see :rolleyes: but thanks for that extra image

David.

You not seen my trolleybus post then? look at my topics and you will see :rolleyes: but thanks for that extra image

David.

Do you mean the drawing back in this thread or is there some other post .I did a search on trolley bus and nothing came up other than this thread.

Belay that just found it :analintruder:

Edited by eagle

I think you might consider putting some form of separator or partition in part-way long the side seats. With 7 people sitting side by side, acceleration and deceleration could have got quite uncomfortable for those sitting at either end! One of my favourite seats on my bus to school was the bench seat on the left, right next to the window facing backward into the boarding platform. With 4 people sitting on the bench seat, you would often get a bit squashed as the bus accelerated as the people beside you got rocked side to side!

I think you might consider putting some form of separator or partition in part-way long the side seats. With 7 people sitting side by side, acceleration and deceleration could have got quite uncomfortable for those sitting at either end! One of my favourite seats on my bus to school was the bench seat on the left, right next to the window facing backward into the boarding platform. With 4 people sitting on the bench seat, you would often get a bit squashed as the bus accelerated as the people beside you got rocked side to side!

hello

On the Routemaster there was bench seating for 8 people, 4 per side, 2 per bench seat section. I do think a divider would be a good idea though. I am putting some extra hand poles in the bench area too. I will try some plasticard and see.. Thanks for your input..it's a damn good idea. Another idea is to do it like a tube train, with arm rests..

David.

Edited by Model69