Boeing 737-600 conversion.

Hi everyone.

Going for my second conversion. This time it's a 737-600 which I'm going to finish in Globespan colours.

I've started some work on it which I'll post some photos as soon as I get a chance.

I have a few questions however; what is the best way to mask the shape of the red part of the fuselage? And also, what colour red is suitable for Globespan?

Many thanks,

Eren

I've got 763 decals if you would like to build that as well bud

Might be after those in the near future mate. Got a stash of smaller birds to do first but thanks!

Here are some photos of the build so far. Using the Revell Haribair kit.

f3066106.jpg

Masked off ready to cut the sections out.

a2ab6ea5.jpg

One side cut, a comparison just to show the length difference from the -800 to the -600.

530b8ef0.jpg

Whole fuselage glued together and ready for filling!

Hope you like it so far.

Thanks,

Eren.

Might be after those in the near future mate. Got a stash of smaller birds to do first but thanks!

Here are some photos of the build so far. Using the Revell Haribair kit.

f3066106.jpg

Masked off ready to cut the sections out.

a2ab6ea5.jpg

One side cut, a comparison just to show the length difference from the -800 to the -600.

530b8ef0.jpg

Whole fuselage glued together and ready for filling!

Hope you like it so far.

Thanks,

Eren.

Hi Eren

just noticed you have joined the fuselage a little trick i find quite usefull , if you can is core some 29mm plugs out of a piece of wood then use these as a joiner they help to locate the fuselage when gluing back together

her is a picture of what i mean these are shown on a 737-900 conversion with the gaps left for the extended fuselage sections

SH105010.jpg

I use the same method when converting the 767 and 777 kits

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your tip. I'll keep it in mind for next time. I didn't go quite as technical as your method, I could only use what I had to hand. At the risk of embarrassing myself I'll keep my cards close to my chest this time :P

That 900 looks great so far, I'd love to see it when it's done :)

Thanks,

Eren

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your tip. I'll keep it in mind for next time. I didn't go quite as technical as your method, I could only use what I had to hand. At the risk of embarrassing myself I'll keep my cards close to my chest this time :P

That 900 looks great so far, I'd love to see it when it's done :)

Thanks,

Eren

Hi Eren

I have the -900 already filled just needs painting , will probably paint it into United livery using my own decal i may do the 900ER as that is the only one missing from my collection

Richard

One thing I do is use stretched sprue well coated in liquid cement and pushed into the gap like caulking on a deck. Makes for a strong joint, and for a bit of extra strength a strip of plasticard over the joint on the inside.

I also sometime use plastic shavings mixed into a paste with Liquid cement as a filler on smaller joints that might otherwise be weak.

One thing I do is use stretched sprue well coated in liquid cement and pushed into the gap like caulking on a deck. Makes for a strong joint, and for a bit of extra strength a strip of plasticard over the joint on the inside.

I also sometime use plastic shavings mixed into a paste with Liquid cement as a filler on smaller joints that might otherwise be weak.

Top tips, I'll have to remember those. I do notice that there are some weak points that the glue and filler sometimes don't manage to seal very well.

Are you using the landing gear?

If you don't can I buy them off you?

If this is directed at me Bradley then: I am using the landing gear on this occasion. I know I usually do wheels up but this will be going on a display base I'm trying to build also :) I have a couple more 738 models that if I don't use the landing gear for you can have off me.

Thanks,

Eren

Edited by Eren

Just checking if you have removed the tail bumper before you get too far as the -600 doesn't have one.

A point I overlooked in haste on a -700 conversion once :whistle:

Dave

Just checking if you have removed the tail bumper before you get too far as the -600 doesn't have one.

A point I overlooked in haste on a -700 conversion once :whistle:

Dave

Hi Dave, I just sprayed the plane today and did remove the tail bumper :) but kudos for your eagle eye on that photo, you can barely see it.

Thanks,

Eren

Hi all,

Just a quick question about the decals. I've recieved the sheet from Draw decals - they look fantastic but I was wondering if they need coating with Mikro before being applied? They are silk screened so it says they are strong but what are your experiences with them?

Many thanks,

Eren

Edited by Eren

• 1 month later...

I haven't needed to coat any of the Draw Decal sheets I've used.

Here's a shortcut tip for converting 737s. If you want a long and a short model, place the cuts such that they'll allow you to swap noses and tails around. For example, I'll imagine cutting up two -800s; one to become a -600 and the other a -900. Call them kit A and kit B.

Cut kit A as follows:

Long nose, short centre section, long tail.

Cut kit B as follows:

Short nose, long centre section, short tail.

Now mix the components up:

For the -900, use nose A, centre section B and tail A. Adjust the length to the proper -900 length by trimming the sections.

For the -600, use nose B, centre section A and tail B. Once again trim to adjust the correct length.

Use sections of the sprue as internal splints to keep the kit from going banana-shaped. The cuts have to be placed carefully to ensure that each kit has suffucient fuselage length available. Cutting templates are available for download from the Draw Decal website.

Some pictures to illustrate. Kit A is white, kit B is grey

cutting_737s_1.jpg

The cuts are marked with tape. The cut will be on the side of the tape nearest the wing in each case.

cutting_737s_2.jpg

The cuts have been made

cutting_737s_3.jpg

And the pieces swapped. The -900 is too long so the nose and tail pieces will need to be trimmed back. The offcuts from this trimming may be used as tabs to help strengthen the joints. The tail bumper on the -600 needs to be removed.

cutting_737s_4.jpg

• 1 month later...