LOTUS 49 GOLDLEAF TAMIYA 1/12

Fantastic work Mac. I especially like the fact you've scratch built almost all of your improvements.

I hadn't seen your WIP until now and I am seriously impressed. So much work has gone into making a kit which is somwhere between a '67 49 & a '68 49B into an accurate Lotus 49.

I also think your choice of race is particularly poignant not only for Lotus fans but motor racing fans in general. Graham Hill had to carry on and hold the team together after Jimmy Clark's death as his son Damon did for Williams after Ayrton Senna's death in 1994. Their first wins after these tragic events were both at the Spanish Grand Prix.

You've also really whetted my appetite for Ebbro's promised 49 range in 1/20th!

Phil.

Thanks for your comments Phil, much appreciated. The limited after market bits for these that are available,are in the silly money bracket & it still wouldn't sort all the other problems there are with the kit. Also I wanted to see if I could inspire others into squeezing a bit more from these old kits without daft expense.

Didn't know that strange quirk of fate with Damon. Graham Hill & Ayrton Senna were big hero's of mine ......................... so some time in the future I have a 1/12 Mclaren of Senna's to build, so watch this space!

Cheers Mac

Thanks Keith but that's the point, this my first 1/12 scale car & what I have done with it, I believe is within the realms of most reasonable modelers. That is the beauty of this site, it doesn't matter what the subject is, you can learn loads just from reading & studying build threads, then just try it on your own kit, most of the time I surprise myself! LOL

Regards Mac

Blown away Mac - I followed the WIP thread and your attention to detail and authenticity is truly top drawer. Love the subject matter aswell. I adore the '49 and I regard the Gold Leaf colours as every bit as attractive as the JPS scheme - maybe even more so?

I currently work for Norfolk's leading car manufacturer and as a result am surrounded by petrol heads, car nuts and Lotus fans - this heady mix has simply heightened the pleasure of watching this one unfold. Thanks for sharing!

cheers

Rick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey Mac,

Stunning, Beautiful, Gorgeous and Insane.

You have such craftmanship with detail. Your Lotus 49 is a true masterpiece.

Congrats to you.

All the best,

Karen

• Like 1

Wow,what an iconic car you have build!

I love every sort of lotus,but the older ones are real beauty's!

Your build looks fantastic and every detail you add makes it even more fantastic.

I got some of them in my to-do pile,also one b versions of it.

I hope they looks half as good as yours!

kind regards

Christian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a fantastic build and a lovely paint finish. Which Halfords Gold did you use exactly..?? I really like the Gold Leaf colour scheme. I only hope that the newly announced 1/20th Ebbro Lotus 49 will be released as the Gold Leaf variant as well..

Wow, what a fantastic build and a lovely paint finish. Which Halfords Gold did you use exactly..?? I really like the Gold Leaf colour scheme. I only hope that the newly announced 1/20th Ebbro Lotus 49 will be released as the Gold Leaf variant as well..

Cheers Steve,

Its "Nissan Gold" lightly built up over gloss white, then polished up.

Regards Mac

• 1 month later...

Love it

I did the Green49 back in the nineties, but not quite to that standard.

Both the 49 and the 6 wheel Tyrell are fantastic kits. I do remember the instructions having pages after page of photos. which really help enhance the kit, with wiring and hydrolics.

Great Job

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...