`Popeye' Hurricane Mk.I, Royal Navy Fighter Trainer

Hiya Folks,

It has taken a while but following my `in progress' thread here it is at last, my second Italeri Hurricane kit, this time made as a standard Mk.I which was used as a fighter trainer by the Fleet Air Arm at Yeovilton. This aircraft appears in a wartime film about RN fighter pilot training at Yeovilton circa 1941/1942 which features the famous naval ace `Dicky' Corke who was an instructor here at the time. Quite a lot of the Hurricanes used by the fighter school wore large artwork under the cockpit and ever since I saw the `Popeye' painted on either side of V7421/ W2D I just had to build a model of it and thankfully `Ad Astra Masks' were able to run up custom artwork for me, thanks ever so much for that! The codes were a mixture of an Aeromaster `W' and 30inch high `2D' from Modeldecal sheet 114 whilst the roundels and fin flashes came from the spares box. One of the photos below shows some of the photos that I took of my TV screen whilst the film was showing to use as reference for this build and it has engine panels which are a totally different tone to the rest of the aircraft, it appears that this Hurricane was either repainted without its engine panels in place, which then remained in the original RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green scheme or it has a set of engine panels from a different aircraft!

Anyway enough spiel, here is the model;

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 23

Lovely work Tony. Very impressive weathering, grimy enough to look well worn but not overdone, the amount of notes made on those photos show some degree of planning and attention you've paid to this one.

Cheers for your really kind comments fella`s, I`m glad that you like it! It is certainly worth contacting Ad Astra (they are on this website I think?) to get some custom decals done for a subject that you really like but cannot find decals for, they did me enough artwork, emblems and badges for 5 or 6 different models and I`m glad that I contacted them,

All the best

Tony O

• Like 2