Spitfire Mk XIV G-ALGT 1/48 conversion: Return from the shelf of doom!

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, yes! :thumbsup: After some deliberation rather than try and save the damaged markings, I decided to strip any remaining decals. A bit of Solvaset and a brush removed the lettering with little, if any damage to the underlying paint. The white accent stripe on the bottom of the dark blue stripe proved tenacious enough that I will patch the small sections that did come loose. Damaged areas of both white and turquoise paint were masked along panel lines and resprayed. After allowing the paint to dry for a couple weeks, A gentle rubbing blended the new sections in quite satisfactorily.

I've already taken inventory of decals in the stash and sufficient amounts are in stock to recreate the lettering. I'd like to get a bit of progress on the epic Intruder/Prowler/Growler project, then back to finish GT.

Thanks all for the interest and support!, Eric aka The Yankymodeler

DSC02519_zps03a08f9a.jpg

DSC02520_zps4a99f438.jpg

DSC02521_zps9d96321b.jpg

About the only marking to survive is the large registration on the bottom of the left wing. Very thankful for that as I no longer have the stencil I made! A bit of touch up and I think it should be fine.

DSC02522_zpsf6e0a289.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 3

Thanks for persevering on this one, Eric! I'm been silently watching the builds, and the last couple of pages have made me cringe every now and then. You've done such beautiful work, it has to be finished! Good thinking to return to the other projects and let this one rest for a while. During that time the demons will surely leave the model (probably to find their way over to my PB4Y-1 build!).

My wife has created a great scheme to know when to take a model away from me. It apparently is an algorithm that counts the number of f-bombs per minute, the decibel rating for objects thrown or kicked, plus the number of empty Old Peculiar cans laying outside the door to my studio. It's a remarkably accurate algorithm, too. I think she should sell it to other modelling spouses. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, I was just looking at your PB4Y, great job!

I've learned (admittedly from my lovely long suffering spouse) that often a good solution to a problem model is to set it out of sight for a while, it does seem to work. I did go ahead and finish GT's stablemate, there are a few pics of KP posted here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954503-spitfire-mk-xiv-academy-148/

A glass of port also seems to take a bit of the edge off too!

Edited by Yankymodeler

Those are beautiful models, Eric! I don't know how I missed this thread, as I'm an admitted Spitfireholic (I have a small squadron in 1/72nd scale I'm working on right now). Regarding putting the model aside, it's worked for me. I'm not convinced that the models don't have some self-healing ability as I've gone back and looked at models I thought were total losses only to come to the conclusion "Hmmm, that's not so bad. Not as bad as I remember". Must be the model elves partially repairing them. Bless 'em!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I really admire your persistence - were it mine I think it would be consigned forever to the shelf of doom for finishing ''one day''....

Which would be a real shame if you were to do the same as it's such a lovely model!

• 2 months later...

Returning from the shelf of doom continued progress, hopefully the last push to completion! Needing a break from the epic Intruder/Prowler/Growler build, an evenings work reproduced the markings that were lost.

DSC02771_zps28dab2ba.jpg

DSC02770_zpsa197082f.jpg

DSC02768_zpsa28b05dc.jpg

The landing gear required extensive refinishing, judicious masking, delicate work with the airbrush, and a bit of careful brush work bringing things up to an acceptable state.

DSC02772_zpsc9f171b4.jpg

There are a few touch ups left and hopefully the next posting will be in RFI

DSC02769_zpsb3140227.jpg

• Like 6

She's looking superb Eric,really well done with her.

From what I hear,Rolls's have done a lot of work toward restoring her wreck after that

horrible crash at Woodford,but presently work on her has stopped and she's back in

her storage container for the time being.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!

She's looking superb Eric,really well done with her.

From what I hear,Rolls's have done a lot of work toward restoring her wreck after that

horrible crash at Woodford,but presently work on her has stopped and she's back in

her storage container for the time being.

I've seen a few older articles on the restoration, but nothing recently.

I suppose it's all a matter of money and resources. Since RR has a flyable Spitfire I'm sure it's difficult to justify the expense of getting another airworthy.

It would be wonderful to see GT back in her civilian dress, though I'm sure a military sceme would be worth more on the market.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler