Yellowing Klear / White Paint

philbean

I'm having Klear problems :(

I've had a search and read up on (old) Klear and yellowing and the consensus seems to be it's not the Klear but the white paint underneath.. and this happens over time.

I white sprayed (aerosol) an Airliner and Kleared and it came out perfect.

About a year later I repeated with my next airliner and the finish is very off-white. Almost creamy. Immediately after Klear dries. Very noticable when the two models are side-by-side.

I thought something must have gone wrong in the paint/klear process.. but before I start my next paintjob (Concorde) I tested it by painting some missiles from a fighter kit and then Klearing them.

After only one coat of Klear, next day they're noticably yellowish. Where the klear pooled near the fins it's extremely yellow tinted.

My Klear is almost a full bottle. Not contaminated by anything other than air. It looks slightly mistier than I remember on purchase but not obviously yellow in the bottle.

Obviously I cannot get hold of any more old type Klear.

Any ideas?

Could the spray paint (PlastiKote White Appliance Paint) have gone off in some way? Although, like I say, from the pooling on the test missiles it definately looks like the Klear is the yellowing influence.

Edited by philbean

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. used Klear over MM white and the top parts have yellowed. While the bottom side is still white.

On the other hand, the Klear over white decals is still white with no signs of yellowing :hypnotised:

Klear? or white? no idea. Maybe i put too much Klear on certain areas resulting in it yellowing? :fraidnot:

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)