Obsolete Kit Group build

Reno pylon racer tee hee?!

Trevor

I think that's the best plan, don't you? I assume I'll be able to combine 'obsolete kit' with 'whif' without offending anyone? Mind you, another thought was to do it as an RAF Tiger Force job. Most of the historically accurate schemes are somewhat dull.

Warning: I have a Frogspawn F-82 Twin Mustang, and I'm not afraid to use it...

That's interesting ! If I understand correctly, it's not a model often seen around, with copies of the monogram kit being easier to find.

As I have one of the monogram clones in the stash, I'll look at your build with interest, I'm curious to see which of these 2 obsolete kits is best.. or worst !

I think that's the best plan, don't you? I assume I'll be able to combine 'obsolete kit' with 'whif' without offending anyone? Mind you, another thought was to do it as an RAF Tiger Force job. Most of the historically accurate schemes are somewhat dull.

I was kidding!

Still it would look good....

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

Well, I do occasionally break out into racer mode, especially when I'm building something a bit old and dodgy and especially it's a type that I don;t know a great deal about. That way any inaccuracies can be ignored or explained away, and I can muck about with the beast in "ignorance is bliss" mode. Very relaxing. Even more especially if I don;t have a decal sheet for it.

So, if I go for the F-82 expect something Reno-related, I'd say. But, if not that, almost certainly some sort of whiffer variation, providing that The Authorities do not object to it appearing in what is not, on the face of it, a whiffer GB.

I will happily build some other obsolete piece of junk (I have many, many such kits) if others on the forthcoming GB would prefer me to do something a little more authentic-looking.  So, I am open to comment on that aspect of it. I've not done a GB here before and don't want to act outside the spirit of the thing.

• Like 1

So, if I go for the F-82 expect something Reno-related, I'd say. But, if not that, almost certainly some sort of whiffer variation, providing that The Authorities do not object to it appearing in what is not, on the face of it, a whiffer GB.

Other GBs allow Whifs. I don't see why this one can't. As long as it's an obsolete kit then anything goes! :)

Besides, an F-82 racer sounds like just the right amount of outrageous! :lol:

With all this excitement about old kits to be built,I went into the loft insulation to see if I to could come up with an old Airfix or Frog kit.

The only Airfix kit of any vintage I could find was an original issue Marauder ............but I did find this rather eclectic selection.

Im down for the F-102 but there is a lot of nostalgic building on offer.......................... :banghead:  :boom: ........guess I have time to ponder.

P1220035_zps69d56f2e.jpg

Some lovely kits there. The Heller 1/48 Thunderstreak counts on the age and replacement factors but not on the running away and hiding one. From wha I remember it was a nice kit. It's debateable as to whether the Heller Fennec has been replaced. The Sword kits are a T-28B and C while the Fennec is a T-28A. The Hasegawa P-40 counts as old and replaced but not fr running away. It's a lovely little kit. As for the Esci F-100, it dates from about 1982 and has been replaced by the Trumpeter kits, but I actually prefer it to the Trumpeter ones.

Which one do you fancy doing?

That's a very nice selection you have there Ancient Mariner !

If for F-102 you mean that F-102 I can see in the picture, that's a very old kit from the days when the scale depended on the size of the box.. :D

It was the only option until Hasegawa did their own proper 1/72 kits in the '70s... and these hasegawa kits themselves are quite crude today ! Interestingly the F-102 has only recently been improved (by a large margin) by the new Meng Models kit while the F-106 (of which I see you have a couple of boxes, same vintage as the 102) is still the best option in this scale... the only other one being another Revell box-scale kit

Interesting shot, Ancient M, and one very similar to the shot I could have taken when making my own decision.

I am very fond of a lot of old kits from my youth and have far too many of them. So I thought it would be easy to pick. But it's quite hard.

First thought was the Frog Bristol 138. But it's not been replaced by anything modern.

Next thought was my Matchbox Beaufighter. But it's more than 25% done, so not eligible

Heller F-84F... actually, it's a lovely little kit, probably more accurate than the Monogram one.

I have an Airfix P-38 that's asking to be built, or a Matchbox Lancaster, or a Matchbox Wellington. Those were my semi-finalists, along with the Frog F-82. But the Twin Mustang won out on the basis of relative scarcity.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. I am now in two minds. I looked in the cupboard for my Frogspawn F-82 and what did I see but my Revell Fw-200, the old one with all the moving turrets, bomb-bay doors, elevators, rudder, ailerons and flaps! Best play value I ever had out of a kit in when I first built it in the 1970s. I have a vague notion in came out in about 1965. Rivets a go-go, and a fine noble prow.

Fortunately rendered obsolete by the new C4 that came it in, I think, 2010, based on the earlier C8 kit from about 2007. So, I now have a massive nostalgia rush going on and may have to do that rather than the Twin Mustang.

• Like 1

This GB sounds like an interesting challenge, but not having been back in the hobby for long my mini stash only has kits that I have really wanted to build. I would need one of you good folk to suggest something not too crazy which I could pick up for not much outlay :)

• Like 1

This GB sounds like an interesting challenge, but not having been back in the hobby for long my mini stash only has kits that I have really wanted to build. I would need one of you good folk to suggest something not too crazy which I could pick up for not much outlay :)

Airfix TBD Devastator, maybe?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX02034

It's at least 45 years old and has been replaced by the Valom kit...

Oh dear. I am now in two minds. I looked in the cupboard for my Frogspawn F-82 and what did I see but my Revell Fw-200, the old one with all the moving turrets, bomb-bay doors, elevators, rudder, ailerons and flaps! Best play value I ever had out of a kit in when I first built it in the 1970s. I have a vague notion in came out in about 1965. Rivets a go-go, and a fine noble prow.

Fortunately rendered obsolete by the new C4 that came it in, I think, 2010, based on the earlier C8 kit from about 2007. So, I now have a massive nostalgia rush going on and may have to do that rather than the Twin Mustang.

Do em both! You know you want to... :wicked:

Aeroplanes I saw as a youngster, Vulcan doing touch and go at Ringway airport now Manchester Int. The same goes for those I was around whilst in the ATC, which gave me my first chance for a ride in chopper, 3 1/2 hours in the back of a Sycamore, pure magic. Little did I know it was to lead me intot he FAA as ahelo mechanic/fixer/braker....

Then it was Skyraiders going for scrap at Culdrose, Gannets, Scimitars, Sea Vixens, Buccaneers and Phontoms plus the Wessex, Whirlwind and Wasp.

Bllody nice memories, thanks.

Colin

Shapewise, it was bang on the money and only the fin was out by a mm or two.

Sam

What sort of aeroplanes make you happy? and are you nostalgic for any particular period in time? This sort of exercise is mainly driven by nostalgia and sentiment, I reckon.

Not Sam (short boring story :) )

I've got a few ideas following some research, however I may have a life-event in September which might keep me busy for a few months! Will have to check back in on this one closer to the time.

Cheers,

Dave