Obsolete Kit Group build

Those Otaki kits were first issued in the late 70's, so are now well over 30 year old. These kits were reboxed by Arii, Airfix, Matchbox, AMT-Ertl.....

Not only they have finely recessed panel lines but their fit is also usually very good, showing that certain features of modern kits could already be achieved many years ago.

Excellent, I have built their Mustang which has a couple of odd shapes but built fairly nicely. I have a few options now

Chris

Please, somebody go for an Airfix Beaufighter. I spent a fun 4 weeks trying to make this look better but I must admit that I wouldn't be keen to do it again!

DSCF2876.jpg

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo
  • Like 1

Hello friends of the forum, I would like to ask permission to participate in the armed group.

I have several kit that come into the group and I would like to build one.

Possible candidates:

# F6F Airfix 1/72

# Neptune Revell 1 /?

# Avro Vulcan Linberd 1/96

regards

Bigua

Ooh, I remember the Lindberg Vulcan, simple kit but easy enough for a small boy to stick together. Sure I got it from a supermarket back in the day when you found kits on their shelves as a matter of course.

The Airfix F6F is a festival of rivets, right? Looks like a brail newspaper?

Hello friends of the forum, I would like to ask permission to participate in the armed group.

I have several kit that come into the group and I would like to build one.

Possible candidates:

# F6F Airfix 1/72

# Neptune Revell 1 /?

# Avro Vulcan Linberd 1/96

regards

Bigua

Is the Neptune not a rebox of the 1/72 Frog/Hasegawa one? That's what my Revell Neptune is... In which case, it's old, but there's no more modern alternative, and it's not a bad kit, as I recall...

Please, somebody go for an Airfix Beaufighter. I spent a fun 4 weeks trying to make this look better but I must admit that I wouldn't be keen to do it again!

DSCF2876.jpg

regards,

Martin

Hornby just sent me this kit by mistake. I ordered the new Spit Mk.22, kit A02033. But I got the Beaufighter, kit A02003 instead. Hey, what's in a digit anyway?

Cheers,

Bill

I'd like to join in too please.

I have a few which I reckon will fit the GB;

1) 1/72 Airfix Sopwith Camel

2) 1/72 Airfix RE8

3) 1/48 [?] Testors Spad XIII - I dont know who's it was in the beginning [Aurora?] but it has the markings positions moulded into it.

I have a few others, but one which I'll ask about is:

does anyone know anything about the Starfix 1/48 [?] Spitfire MK21 - it looks a really terrible kit, but is it old enough? (I got it for one of my young uns to build when we would do a joint building session - but after getting it and looking at it I decided that there was no way I could be sooooo cruel)

Only 9 months to go!

Fred

Edited by Black Knight

1/48 [?] Testors Spad XIII - I dont know who's it was in the beginning [Aurora?] but it has the markings positions moulded into it.

I'd say that any kit which has the markings moulded in is an automatic entrant for this GB. :lol:

Hornby just sent me this kit by mistake. I ordered the new Spit Mk.22, kit A02033. But I got the Beaufighter, kit A02003 instead. Hey, what's in a digit anyway?

Oh, and just to remind everyone of what I plan to build, here it is! She's from 1965 - I built one back then, I think. But I probably blew it up.

Good luck making that look like a Spitfire 22! Think that will test even your skills.

As for the PB4Y-1, I take it you will of course be making the undercarriage and lower turret accurate AND retractable? :wicked:

I'd like to join in too please.

I have a few which I reckon will fit the GB;

1) 1/72 Airfix Sopwith Camel

2) 1/72 Airfix RE8

3) 1/48 [?] Testors Spad XIII - I dont know who's it was in the beginning [Aurora?] but it has the markings positions moulded into it.

I have a few others, but one which I'll ask about is:

does anyone know anything about the Starfix 1/48 [?] Spitfire MK21 - it looks a really terrible kit, but is it old enough? (I got it for one of my young uns to build when we would do a joint building session - but after getting it and looking at it I decided that there was no way I could be sooooo cruel)

Only 9 months to go!

Fred

Welcome to the party Fred. Having built the two Airfix kits I know they are a bit, shall we say, basic. As for that Starfix kit: can't recall when it was first moulded but given the only part of it that bears even a passing likeness to a Spitfire is the title on the box I'd say you were safe to use it in this GB.

I'd say that any kit which has the markings moulded in is an automatic entrant for this GB. :lol:

Can we make that a new rule?

• Like 1

if I don't build it before I'm going to enter with a Matchbox Canberra PR.9 + Alley Cat SC.9 conversion.

Good luck finding enough lead to stop that one sitting on its tail. If you can find a collapsed star at the center of a black hole you may be in with a fighting chance. Once built one for an ex Canberra pilot my father was mates with and even wheels-up on the Matchbox clear plastic stand the bugger wanted to sit on her bottom and gaze at the stars.

It was about 18 years ago but pretty sure I used a couple of wheel balance weights hammered into shape so around 65g in the end to bring her level and a lot of filler to smooth out the deep lines for a basic rescribe. Can't recall much issues with the fit but the open bomb-bay part was used so closing that may cause issues. It was a desk-top model so not much extra detail added.

Edited by Col.

Cheers,

Bill

Navy Bird,

Well, she is a very easy build out of the box . . . so, have fun!

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

Cheers,

Bill

Hornby had a look at the Airfix Club Passport that I sent them, and this was my mistake. I wrote down the number for the Beau instead of the Spit. But they've offered to send me the Spit and I can keep the Beau! Nice folks there at Hornby! Remind me to buy more of their kits. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hornby had a look at the Airfix Club Passport that I sent them, and this was my mistake. I wrote down the number for the Beau instead of the Spit. But they've offered to send me the Spit and I can keep the Beau! Nice folks there at Hornby! Remind me to buy more of their kits. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

That's the kind of mistake I like to happen!

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo