Obsolete Kit Group build

Well, I'm going to have to find another one to do. Started mine in mid Oct, thinking I've missed the start by a month but still got plenty of time, going great guns till I went looking for somewhere to put up some WIP shots, damn, can't find anything. :confused: , went back to the original thread, oh s***e, theres a 3 on the end, not a 2, bugga! :D maybe it'll be my old Revell He100, guess I won't bother to dig it out for a bit. :)

Steve.

Yeah well you'll still need the dope and talcum powder..........

Trevor

I am shocked. I had no idea that drugs were involved in this group. I mean, I don't even sniff the glue!

• Like 1

Chaps,

As I build mainly old - nay classic - kits, I wonder if you might find room for one more entrant?

Possibilities are:

Revell Heinkel 219 (original Revell issue, not the FROG re-pop)

Matchbox B-25H/J

Airfix P-61

FROG Spitfire VIII / IX

The only problems I can see is that none of the above is that bad imho. I've tried to tart up the Airfix Boston III and Beaufighter, so I think I've earned the right to an opinion . . .

What say you?

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo
  • Like 1

The only problems I can see is that none of the above is that bad imho.

What say you?

I'd say they are all perfectly suitable for this GB. All of them have been replaced by more modern kits. Welcome aboard !

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still trying to work out what I'm going to do for this one. I had it narrowed down to two. But then I thought a bit more and the count has gone up to four...

Frog Fairey Gannet

Airfix Beaufighter

Airfix Meteor Mk III

Airfix Skyraider

Decisions, decisions! :D

I'm still trying to work out what I'm going to do for this one. I had it narrowed down to two. But then I thought a bit more and the count has gone up to four...

Frog Fairey Gannet

Airfix Beaufighter

Airfix Meteor Mk III

Airfix Skyraider

Decisions, decisions! :D

That's quite a collection of really obsolete kits ! :lol:

The frog Gannet is probably the most obsolete, but apart from the pilot's heads moulded with the fuselage and the landing gear inserted directly in the wing undersufaces, it was IMHO a better build than the airfix kits listed....

• Like 1

The frog Gannet is probably the most obsolete, but apart from the pilot's heads moulded with the fuselage and the landing gear inserted directly in the wing undersufaces, it was IMHO a better build than the airfix kits listed....

Okay then! That's the Gannet out. :D To be honest, it wouldn't take much effort to make a nice model out of it. The others are far more of a challenge.

You've just woken me up to the Gannet, I had decided on the Airfix Auster Atlantic but a Gannet would be a great alternative and maybe use my Modeldecals COD sheet, wheels retracting and clearing the front of the deck.

Colin

Okay then! That's the Gannet out. :D To be honest, it wouldn't take much effort to make a nice model out of it. The others are far more of a challenge.

Hi Enzo, Than's the nice thing about the Frog kits you can make a good model from them with just a little effort, a clean build and soem new'ish decals.

Colin

Guess it depends on what set of skills you want to test: the Frog Gannet will test the carver and the scratchbuilder if the cockpit and gear wells are added.

The airfix kits will test the scratchbuilder and the assembler.. :lol:

The Skyraider in particular is one of the kits I hated building most ! Of course it's fully covered in rivets... of course there's not detail, of course it has a very inaccurate fuselage.... now that I think about it, I should get one for this GB !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ehhmmmmm, I have bought a Monogram SBD-5 from a friend. Is this going to fit the bill for this build? I believe it's from the 60's?!

I believe it's actually from the 50s! There have been replacement kits from Hasegawa and Italeri. From what I have read, the kit goes together well but is still very toylike. So I'd say it's a perfect candidate for the GB. Welcome aboard!

I've found an Airfix 1/72 F-111E at the back of the stash. I'm not sure when it was released, but it certainly looks grotty enough to be eligible! May I join?

Please do! Welcome aboard!

I remember building that kit in the late 60s when it was an F-111A.

Anyone know how old some of the Otaki/Arii 1/48 kits are? I have a few and as they have been supeceded by newer kits, I could go in with one of those. If there's going to be a few Frog Gannets in here, i'd like to avoid doing mine.

The Otaki kits I have are

2 x Spitfire VIII

P-47D

Corsair (in a Matchbox box)

Hellcat (in an Airfix box)

I know them to be quite old but the recessed panel lines makes them look a bit more modern.

Chris

Those Otaki kits were first issued in the late 70's, so are now well over 30 year old. These kits were reboxed by Arii, Airfix, Matchbox, AMT-Ertl.....

Not only they have finely recessed panel lines but their fit is also usually very good, showing that certain features of modern kits could already be achieved many years ago.

Folks,

I'm currently building 2 Heller Spit Mk XVIs. Definitely NOT appropriate for this build imho. A couple of shape issues, but really lovely little kits - reasonable detail for the time and great fit.

Don't tell the Wooksta, but one's a 'whif'!

regards,

Martin

Ehhmmmmm, I have bought a Monogram SBD-5 from a friend. Is this going to fit the bill for this build? I believe it's from the 60's?!

Cheers,

Hi Guys, this is a no go.

I got the model yesterday evening and it wasn't a SBD Dauntless, but a SB2C Helldiver! Just for a fiver that's still not bad!

But it's not for this build. It's from the 90's I believe and very good looking. Still Thank you Laurens for this model (and all the other stuff I got and bought from him).

Cheers,