Obsolete Kit Group build

Maybee I will do it straight out of the box with all those horrible rivets.

There is the nostalgia build option using tube cement and brushing enamels. If you want to be radical use the 'Microscale' method to apply the 'transfers'.

Trevor

There is the nostalgia build option using tube cement and brushing enamels. If you want to be radical use the 'Microscale' method to apply the 'transfers'.

Trevor

Hmmmm, that is a option. What can go wrong with a 1 euro kit.

This could be fun! Anything could happen in the meantime (the start date is still a year away), but please count me in. At the moment, having been inspired by the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.22, I'm considering doing some cosmetic improvements to the old Hawk/Testors 1/72 Spitfire Mk.22. I'm pretty sure this kit is old enough, frightening enough, and obsolete enough to qualify! My examination of the rules for this GB tells me that it's okay to add aftermarket parts and possibly substitute parts from other kits - am I correct about that?

Thanks!

John

• Like 1

HI Enzo . this little gem must fit the bill

P1130025.jpg

Abso-flippin-lutely!!! :D

I'm considering doing some cosmetic improvements to the old Hawk/Testors 1/72 Spitfire Mk.22. I'm pretty sure this kit is old enough, frightening enough, and obsolete enough to qualify! My examination of the rules for this GB tells me that it's okay to add aftermarket parts and possibly substitute parts from other kits - am I correct about that?

Just as long as you don't substitute every part of the Testors kit for its corresponding Airfix part. :lol: But seriously, modern AM parts or scrap parts from other kits are perfectly acceptable. Updating the Testors kit sounds like an excellent project. You could display the finished model sat next to a modern Airfix one.

Just as long as you don't substitute every part of the Testors kit for its corresponding Airfix part. :lol:

Thanks, Enzo - sounds like you're familiar with the Testors Spitfire! I blush to admit that, on close inspection of this kit, the same thought occurred to me! :blush: Especially the wings - I have no idea what I'll do with the wings...

But seriously, modern AM parts or scrap parts from other kits are perfectly acceptable. Updating the Testors kit sounds like an excellent project. You could display the finished model sat next to a modern Airfix one.

Yes, I certainly could. Bear in mind, though, that the Testors kit has no landing gear - it's just meant to be mounted on its little display stand. Depending on my wing solution, landing gear might or might not be part of the final product!

Good thing this GB doesn't start until September of next year - I'll probably need 12 months to think about this! ;)

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will have to use new tube cement though.

Do you have an original Humbrol filler that needed a primer coat before the camouflage? It was 'orrid!

Me? I am thinking of the dope/talcum powder mix!

Trevor

• Like 1

I picked up the old Airfix Jaguar in 72 scale. In homage to my youth I will try to do this with the same Humbrol paints I used back in the day. By this, I mean the actual paints. I haven't used them for over 20 years but they should still work. Will have to use new tube cement though.

Somewhere (in an old Harrier GR.1 box, I think) I have an ancient tube of 1970s Airfix freebie cement, which might still work as I believe it's fully sealed...

Somewhere (in an old Harrier GR.1 box, I think) I have an ancient tube of 1970s Airfix freebie cement, which might still work as I believe it's fully sealed...

Be good for a proper glue fumes high as well :elephant:

Anyone remember Stephens plastic cement? Came in a green tube and was able to stink out a whole house. Not sure I want to take a nostalgia build to quite that level of authenticity.

• Like 1