Obsolete Kit Group build

1/72 Heller messerschmitt bf109e

1/48 Monogram Classics Devastator TBD-1

1/48 Hobbycraft USAAC P-26 Peashooter

1/72 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1

I think all of those qualify! :thumbsup: Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

I'm always telling people that life is too stressful and they need to spare themselves the agonies of choice.

So build 'em all! :lol:

Jeez I haven't got a deathwish Enzo!!!!!!

Think all of them would drive me utterly crazy!!!! I'm leaning towards the peashooter but those decals are making me nauseous and tearful......

Decisions decisions then..

Apparently the Boulton is a DOG of a kit... Maybe a little beyond my very limited skills - I will post up my selection soon :thumbsup:

Have to agree about the Boulton. I made one with my oldest son and it nearly put him off for life. Although I believe the earlier mouldings are better due as much to the type of plastic.

Really looking forward to this, how many are in this GB now ?

I'm genuinely so excited about this! can't wait to just enjoy building a kit for the fun of it, and not getting bogged down by AMS.

I did something similar when my son was born - he's three, and now has a ceiling of older kits (think Frog D520, Typhoon, Sea Fury etc) which I made, wheels up, OOB and using the supplied decals... Heaven!

I also got given a big box of incomplete kits recently - all of which are really outclassed (Airfix Mirage, Matchbox P-47 etc)... might dip into there too, but might need a hand with the occasional spare, as each is missing something small, but possibly significant!

C

I think all of those qualify! :thumbsup: Welcome aboard!

Sorry, but I don't think the P-26 qualifies. There is no newer kit in 1/48 - the Academy one is the same mold and the Aurora one is older.

Sorry, but I don't think the P-26 qualifies. There is no newer kit in 1/48 - the Academy one is the same mold and the Aurora one is older.

It doesn't matter as I'm not doing it...

I'm in with the Heller 1/72 Messerchmitt bf109e and either the Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul or the Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b (very old mould of course)

This GB sounds great fun - and I have just the kit to join you with.

Might not join you straight away though. I've just completed the 499th model in my collection - and don't really want my

Demi-Millennium milestone to be a bagged Novo copy of Frog Barracuda with no decals!

More like the Nimrod I promised myself in my 2013 resolution.

Anyway - you all have fun, I'll be with you before the finish.

Update on providence from Scalemates:

Frog Barracuda originally produced from 1964 onwards.

Novo Barracuda appears in 1977.

Since then a LOT of other copies.

Mine is moulded in horrible ORANGE plastic - just to add to the :puke: factor.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 2

This GB sounds great fun - and I have just the kit to join you with.

Might not join you straight away though. I've just completed the 499th model in my collection - and don't really want my

Demi-Millennium milestone to be a bagged Novo copy of Frog Barracuda with no decals!

More like the Nimrod I promised myself in my 2013 resolution.

Anyway - you all have fun, I'll be with you before the finish.

You could consider number 499.5...

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm not sure I've built more than a couple of kits made after 1983!

I have a number of candidates

Frog Wyvern. Too nice? Has a floor and instrument panel... I've already done the Gannet, it was fun.

Airfix He 111. Started to accurize it like my IL-2 but it's much, much less than 25% complete - I got scared and put it back in the box. Will involve lots of balsa at some point. Not sure my wife will let me steal any talc though!

Airfix Boston. Round off nacelles and tart up the interior but otherwise OOB.

Airfix Do-17. I want it do a minor conversion to one of the prototypes that was modified to a transport

Can I be in with the first two?

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I'm not sure I've built more than a couple of kits made after 1983!

I have a number of candidates

Frog Wyvern. Too nice? Has a floor and instrument panel... I've already done the Gannet, it was fun.

Airfix He 111. Started to accurize it like my IL-2 but it's much, much less than 25% complete - I got scared and put it back in the box. Will involve lots of balsa at some point. Not sure my wife will let me steal any talc though!

Airfix Boston. Round off nacelles and tart up the interior but otherwise OOB.

Airfix Do-17. I want it do a minor conversion to one of the prototypes that was modified to a transport

Regards,

Adrian

Oh, please be in with the Do & the He!

Old faves, built (how many?) years ago.....

Frog Wyvern. Too nice?

It's not about whether the kit is nice or not - although being a dreadful kit certainly helps... ;) It's about whether it is thirty years or more old and has been replaced by a more modern kit. The Frog Wyvern qualifies on both counts.

Of course! Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

While tidying up the stash a bit, I found a KP 1/72 Avia 199. Now this has sure been replaced by the nicer AML kit and sure it's one of those kits that send shivers of terror down the spine of whoever open the box, but I don't know if it actually is more than 30 year old, does anybody know for sure ?

I could build this one as a more advanced build using bits and pieces from other Bf-109 kits....

• Like 1

While tidying up the stash a bit, I found a KP 1/72 Avia 199. Now this has sure been replaced by the nicer AML kit and sure it's one of those kits that send shivers of terror down the spine of whoever open the box, but I don't know if it actually is more than 30 year old, does anybody know for sure ?

Scalemates says 1977. So it's in!

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=135212

Great ! Looking at the various boxes on scalemates, mine is the 1977 box. Not only that, but I found that the rear of the box has a series of codes stamped on, including a "PN. 04/77" that might well be the production date.

The plan is to build this adding some modern bits, maybe an Eduard zoom PE set and sure a replacement canopy (KP canopies were well known for being very poor).

The second build for the GB will be totally OOB, and the more I think about it the more I believe the Heller P-47N is the best candidate. The many errors can not be corrected at all, not worth bothering with trying to make a modern build with that one

I'm genuinely so excited about this! can't wait to just enjoy building a kit for the fun of it, and not getting bogged down by AMS.

I did something similar when my son was born - he's three, and now has a ceiling of older kits (think Frog D520, Typhoon, Sea Fury etc) which I made, wheels up, OOB and using the supplied decals... Heaven!

I also got given a big box of incomplete kits recently - all of which are really outclassed (Airfix Mirage, Matchbox P-47 etc)... might dip into there too, but might need a hand with the occasional spare, as each is missing something small, but possibly significant!

C

Hi C

I have simular boxes of incomplete kits which I make with the kids, pm me missing bits and we may be able to help each other out I will get a list our our missing bits too.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

If I build more than one kit, do i need a work in progress thread for each build? Or do I put them all into one thread?

It depends. I would say if they are similar models, then a single build thread will suffice. For instance, I am building two Beaufighters, a Corsair and a Skyraider. The Beaufighters will share a thread and the other two will have their own threads.

It depends. I would say if they are similar models, then a single build thread will suffice. For instance, I am building two Beaufighters, a Corsair and a Skyraider. The Beaufighters will share a thread and the other two will have their own threads.

Oooh! Whose are the Beaus? One wouldn't be the FROG one, would it?

regards,

Martin

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here, and would like to participate in this GB. Stash-wise I'm a bit limited and feel it is a choice between a Monogram 1:48 scale Hawker Typhoon, a newly bought Airfix Dauntless, Airfix Stirling (does this count as Italeri are releasing a new Stirling soon?) or an Airfix Handley Page Hampden.

Regards,

Rob.

Oooh! Whose are the Beaus?

They're mine! :lol:

But seriously... Airfix old tool and Matchbox.

Stash-wise I'm a bit limited and feel it is a choice between a Monogram 1:48 scale Hawker Typhoon, a newly bought Airfix Dauntless, Airfix Stirling (does this count as Italeri are releasing a new Stirling soon?) or an Airfix Handley Page Hampden.

Monogram Typhoon Issued 1968. replaced by Hasegawa.

Airfix Dauntless. Ditto

Airfix Hampden Issued 1968. Replaced by Valom.

So they're all in!

As for the Stirling, I'd be inclined to include it if no one else has any objections.

I have a FROG Dornier Do17 and was thinking OOB with Battle of Britain markings. Would that count?