Obsolete Kit Group build

The 109 STGB was my first group build ever and the result was the third airplane model that I have ever painted. I liked it so much that if my Frog Beaufort and Beaufighter are considered obsolete kits I´d like to be in this autumn exercise with them, too! If I´m in do I need separate threads for both kits or can they be handled together? V-P

• Like 1

if my Frog Beaufort and Beaufighter are considered obsolete kits I´d like to be in this autumn exercise with them, too! If I´m in do I need separate threads for both kits or can they be handled together? V-P

Beaufort replaced by the Special Hobby kit. Beaufighter replaced by the Matchbox, High Planes and forthcoming Airfix new tool kits. :wicked:

So they're both in! :thumbsup:

I can't see any reason not to have two similar kits in the same build thread. In fact, I am building an old Airfix and a Matchbox Beaufighter and they will be in a single thread. My Airfix Skyraider and Matchbox F4U-4 Corsair will have their own threads.

Beaufort replaced by the Special Hobby kit. Beaufighter replaced by the Matchbox, High Planes and forthcoming Airfix new tool kits. :wicked:

I've got a Highplanes Beaufighter which I'm trying to build up the courage to build, I know it's resin but !!! :shrug:

Have a feeling the Frog model would be the better of the two..........

• Like 1

I've got a Highplanes Beaufighter which I'm trying to build up the courage to build, I know it's resin but !!! :shrug:

Have a feeling the Frog model would be the better of the two..........

I have an injection moulded High Planes Beaufighter. It will be a bit like whittling the parts from a block of flash... :lol:

You could always build your resin one in the Resin Kits GB.

I have an injection moulded High Planes Beaufighter. It will be a bit like whittling the parts from a block of flash... :lol:

You could always build your resin one in the Resin Kits GB.

I actually had to go have a look at the High Planes model....it is plastic!!!! :doh:

Gosh that's how bad it is, it looks worse than any resin beasty I've built.

Could prob sneek it in to the Resin GB, no one would notice, seeing how bad the moulding is, anyone would think it's resin!!! :wicked:

Actually planning to build the 1/48 MPM Uhu for the resin GB......nothing too challenging!! :mental::banghead:

HighPlanes Hah! Simples they are. Remember Merlin Models??? Now they were kits for real men... :evil_laugh:

Hi have a few High Planes kits and after cleaning the parts they are very nice kits, with everything fitting well. The plastic surface is also rough but take some minutes with fine wet'n'dry and you've got a tamigawa ;-)

Carlos

• Like 2

Hi have a few High Planes kits and after cleaning the parts they are very nice kits, with everything fitting well.

Actually, that seems to be quite a fair assessment of the kit. The wing root assembly looks to be excellent. I'm rather looking forward to building it.

But it does look awful in the box. :door:

You can do more than one? Oh goody.... I've been frottering various kits and thinking how good they would be for this build. In fact, bearing in mind I have virtually NO new kits in an extensive collection, then I think the bulk of my stash is suitable for this! I may need some assistance from the forum in picking, although I'm thinking a Frog Boston or Spitfire XIII/IX or - the back marker - Frog Hunter FGA 9. I like Frog, oh yes I do... :)

C

I took a look at the Beaufort kit last night and spent the night wondering should I or should I not. From this day on I must hold myself not to read a single internet comment about their buildability, or I will lose the little courage I have left, but I am in this group build, thank you! I have four kits (the original red stripe Frog Beaufort, an Encore frogspawn, Frog Beaufighter NF1/F6C/TF10 and a Frog Mk.21) that I will try to shake and mix to have at least one of each :pig:s built. V-P

Well, in anticipation, I have taken the 'box and bits' photo of my soopa detayled P-26a Peashooter in all it's raised panel line and chunky flashness glory!

Not long now... :thumbsup:

Pete

Blimey, dont time fly? I had to go to page one to see the start date, then search to where I'd first posted - back last December I committed myself to this. Now just over two weeks to go till the agony, pain, fun starts!

I think I may do my Testors 1/48th Spad XIII first, I have some nice decals for it. If I do the Starfix 1/48th [?] Spitfire 21 first I may get too depressed and put off modelling for life.

I'll have to go to the storage unit and dig the Spad out. Its in a box somewhere there. I put all my stash on a computer Excel spread sheet, listing what models were in each box, numbering the boxes. But I forgot to actually number the physical boxes!

• Like 1

Well, in that case, the Frog Boston it is! OOB... no need to ask if this has been improved on by another kit! Should prove to be interesting, and I don't think I've seen one built up or reviewed. Brian Baker didn't include it in his round-up of Bostons, saying it was too crude! Excellent... Should be interesting to see just how much like a Boston it looks when it's done!

C

• Like 1

Hi all,

After being away for a while, and having some severe cases of modellers block and hardly being able to finish my dinner nevermind a model - I was wondering if i could join in with you guys on this gb...

I have a few kits I THINK?? qualify - maybe somebody with infinitely more knowledge than me can enlighten me...

I'm looking to get involved with one of the following - can anybody please advise if any qualify??

1/72 Heller messerschmitt bf109e

1/48 Monogram Classics Devastator TBD-1

1/48 Hobbycraft USAAC P-26 Peashooter

1/72 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1

If anybody needs pictures of the boxes I can post up!!

Thanks

Tuco :winkgrin:

Edited by tinytuco
  • Like 1

Does the kit have to be built oob, or can one do some work on it to improve it? Scratch made or aftermarket parts?

Your choice. You build it how you want to.

It can be a nostalgia build - building it using the same materials and techniques which you used to build a similar kit umpteen years ago. Maybe OOB with no filling or sanding. Vaguely correct colours smeared on with a hairy stick. The whole decal sheet immersed in water and all applied all in one go! :lol:

Or it can be a modern OOB build - built using your modern techniques: filling, sanding, maybe some rescribing. Paint applied with an airbrush.

Or it can be the full monty. Rescribe it. Rebuild parts so they are more accurate. Thrown a lot of resin, PE or scratched parts at it.

However you want to build it is fine. I will be building an Airfix Beaufighter, a Matchbox Beaufighter and a Matchbox F4U-4 as modern OOB builds. I'll also be doing the full monty with an Airfix A-1 Skyraider. But I'll keep my hat on...

Edited by Enzo Matrix