Obsolete Kit Group build

I think this will be a nostalgia build for me. Back pre-1970, my favourite kits were Monogram. And of those favourite kits their FW-190 was my favourite.

Unfortunately, Revellogram have not re-issued it. My second favourite was their Mk. II Hurricane. Nope again. Sigh.

As far as I recall, the Monogram kits were quite nice. They may not be eligible for this GB, in that case.

As far as I recall, the Monogram kits were quite nice. They may not be eligible for this GB, in that case.

They sure were, however I wonder if some of us might not be somewhat biased because we saw these are great kits when we were younger ? I know I am ! :lol:

For example I'd open the box of a monogram Tomcat and still find a kit I like... however what would a 16 year old modeller, one grown up with hasegawa style kits, say when he opens the same box ? Would he say "hmm... raised panel lines, iffy fit, it must be old. Yet still looks good" or would he say "oh dear, what's this mess???". :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The P.1127 is certainly old enough to qualify. Just a shame no-one has bothered to make a newer and better plastic kit :(

• Like 1

I would love to join this GB if that would be ok? I have an old Airfix Buccaneer MK1 from 1979 if that would be good?

Sorry if im to late but im quite new to the Group Builds but would love to join in especially this one due to my fondness of old kits. :)

Regards

Terry

BuccLine-1.jpg

Welcome to the Obsolete Kit Groupbuild, courtesy of Britmodeller.

Thanks to Mish for finding us a slot and to Col for agreeing to co-host.

Take a good look at your Stash. Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions at the back of the cupboard, where nobody goes, sits a mouldering box. Deep within this dank and uninviting place, lurk old kits, their box art faded and uninspiring, their prices scrawled on in shillings and pence. But that's nothing compared to the horrors that lurk within the kit boxes themselves: kits with no wheel bays... kits with marking locations moulded in... kits with the pilot's head moulded onto a shelf... For there is always something horrifying down there... in the dark... waiting to come out... :door:

Of course, no sane person would ever dream of building these because... well, there's a lovely shiny Edrevfujitamigawa kit of the same subject. Or because it's going to take a bit of work to bring it up to standard. :fraidnot: Or because... well, just look at it... :yikes::door:

Well, every dog has its day. And this groupbuild will give those dogs of kits their own day in the sun.

There is only one hard and fast rule:

Lancfan's Law. The kit must have been issued at least thirty years before the start of the GB.

This applies to the original boxing. Subsequent reissues are eligible. So any kit which was issued before or during 1983 is in.

There is also a guideline:

Murdo's Law. "I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking of?"

You know a rubbish kit just by looking at it. If it's a rubbish kit, then it's in. If you look at it and think "ooh! That's nice, I'd really like to build that sometime" then it's not a rubbish kit. And let's not consider kits against the standard of their times. Yes, it may have been state of the art in 1783 when it was first issued, but that doesn't mean it is any less pants in this day and age.

I also foresee three different ways in which a model can be built for this GB.

Built to the highest standards possible with rescribing, resin, PE and scratchbuilt parts. This could be an attempt to build a model from the old kit to be indistinguishable from one built from the latest Edrevfujitamigawa kit. For instance, make the Frog Gannet look like the Revell one.

Built OOB using all the techniques you know. Filling, spraying, weathering, maybe a bit of rescribing. Build an old kit in the same manner and to the same standards as you would a modern one.

A nostalgia build. An old kit built in exactly the same style as when you first built it forty-odd years ago. No filler or sanding of joint lines. Enamel paint daubed on using a hairy stick. An attempt to recapture the joys of your youth!

Of course, it's your model, so you build it in the manner that you see fit. There will be no seperate categories for the different build styles.

All the other usual GB rules - the ones about no more than 25% complete on the start date and the most important GB rule of all (having fun) - will apply.

And if thou dost pepper thine build thread with comments which could by merry hap be attributed to a goodly knight in days of yore then foresooth, have at it!

Lay on, Britmodeller. And damned be he who first cries "Hold! Enough!" Cry "havoc!" and let slip the dogs of modelling.

Ooh! Airfix Havoc anyone? :lol:

This will be my first BM Group Build, Enzo. How do I sign up?

• Like 1

Would the Matchbox Tomcat count for this!?!?

Just rediscovered one in the stash....

Well one can argue the Hasegawa kit renders it obsolete and it is, I believe, old enough so yes on both main criteria. From what I understand it represents the early prototypes best but it's your model to do with as you choose ;)

I would love to join this GB if that would be ok? I have an old Airfix Buccaneer MK1 from 1979 if that would be good?

Sorry if im to late but im quite new to the Group Builds but would love to join in especially this one due to my fondness of old kits. smile.png

Regards

Terry

BuccLine-1.jpg

It's old enough and the CMR kit means it's obsolete enough so yes. To say nothing of the fact I'd love to see an S.1 Bucc built :D You going with extra detail or as Airfix intended Terry?

This will be my first BM Group Build, Enzo. How do I sign up?

You just have Jim! No going back now ;)

TBH Col. I have not gave it to much thought yet... My hardest battle with be with the fit as its slighly warped a little due to age. So a little filler here and there might be needed. But im going for straight out the box as much as possible. The decals are slightly dated also. But again i might just crack on with it.

I think this kit is the old 1960 vintage Airfix kit 03004-1. representing the production S1 version of the Blackburn Buccaneer it was in fact based on the six NA39 prototypes from the series XK486 to XK491 which lacked both the Radar Warning Receiver bullet fairing on the tail and the correct larger nose of the Buccaneers from XK487 to XZ432.

Among these six prototypes, XK491 was both the first and last to be fitted with a retractable refuelling probe rather than the later fixed bolt-on type. it was also used for trials on the full ac electrical system, autopilot and tail vibration auto stabiliser before being sent to the Naval Air Department at Royal Aircraft Establishment Bedford on 20 June 1959 for probe and drogue refuelling trials.

After returning to Holme on Spalding Moor two days later, XK491 spent 3 July 1959 continuing probe and drogue trials with English Electric Canberra WH734 acting the role of tanker while a return to RAE Bedford was made on 21 July 1959 for assessments of its buffet boundary and auto stabiliser. Two days later XK491 was once again returned to Holme on Spalding Moor before being loaned to Flight Refuelling Limited at Elvington, Yorkshire, on 29 October 1959. During subsequent refuelling trials with a Vickers Valiant tanker the drogue basket broke off the hose while still attached to the Buccaneer's probe but XK491 still managed to land safely.

On 21 January 1960 XK491 was transferred to C Squadron at the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, before flying back to Holme on Spalding Moor the next day and on 15 February 1960 making an emergency landing at Elvington following an engine failure.

Just over two years later on 21 February 1962 XK491 was back with C Squadron A&AEE for runway autopilot tests before flying north to Holme on Spalding Moor on 27 March for spin tests and ejector seat systems trials. Indeed, XK491 was to shuttle between Wiltshire and the White Rose County for various trials until 7 February 1964 when the aircraft was withdrawn from service having logged only 280 hours 18 minutes flying time.

Having been dismantled, components from XK491 were then sent to the Proof and Experimental Establishment at Shoeburyness, Essex, between 12 and 25 January 1965. After gunnery trials the remains delivered to BKL Alloys, Kings Norton, Birmingham, in July 1969 except for the nose section which was returned to Hawker Siddeley, Brough, in February 1976.

If I feel i have enough spares i might do a little extra to her. Shame though as i have extra Bullpups but cant she her holding any. She has the revolving bomb bay also with a torpedo!! But im going to go straight out of box and hairy stick mode as much as possible. An extras with be a bonus. :)

Regards

Terry

And Thank you All for the Group Add.

• Like 1

Would the Matchbox Tomcat count for this!?!?

Just rediscovered one in the stash....

Oh dear, one of the worst kits ever done by matchbox ! The shape is a mix of prototypes and production aircraft features, and even these were not well captured. Panel lines were trenches but fortunately there were very few of them. Almost no detail, although the landing gear was way better than the airfix one. The decals were very crude too. Now while most matchbox kits were a bit crude but had a good fit, this also had a terrible fit... all in all it sounds like a perfect candidate !

Oh dear, one of the worst kits ever done by matchbox ! The shape is a mix of prototypes and production aircraft features, and even these were not well captured. Panel lines were trenches but fortunately there were very few of them. Almost no detail, although the landing gear was way better than the airfix one. The decals were very crude too. Now while most matchbox kits were a bit crude but had a good fit, this also had a terrible fit... all in all it sounds like a perfect candidate !

Well one can argue the Hasegawa kit renders it obsolete and it is, I believe, old enough so yes on both main criteria. From what I understand it represents the early prototypes best but it's your model to do with as you choose ;)

Abso-flippin-lutely! Awful kit! laugh.png

Oh crap, I just exhumed the Battersea dogs home of the Matchbox back-catalogue...... oops.gifpoo.gif

OK, i'm in for this, but do NOT expect miracle rescribling, re-detailing or resin/PE wizadry here!!!!

She's gonna be an outta the box, vintage build with NO paint ( luv that 3 colour plastic!!!) & umm, well that's about it really! Might put some "transfers" on her, but i'm not sure which of the 3 options i'll go with:

1) VF-142 USS America

2)VF-2 USS Enterprise

3)VF-132 USS John Kennedy

Enterprise is favourite due to her decomissioning this years, but.....

When do we kick off? pray.gif

OK, i'm in for this, but do NOT expect miracle rescribling, re-detailing or resin/PE wizadry here!!!!

The only expectation is that you enjoy yourself. :D After that, pretty much anything goes.

When do we kick off?

In a year. September 2013.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 2 weeks later...

Me, Me Me please!!! :winkgrin:

I offer ;

Airfix B-29. (first time I built this was when I got the kit for my 10th birthday no less - 1968!!). Who can forget the superb box top artwork! I still think this old beauty is worth lavishing attention on!

Airfix Mirage III ( my second ever kit !!) - I'm now 54!!

Lindberg 1/48 XF-88 (got two of these!)

Airfix B-26 Marauder

Airfix B-24 Liberator

Matchbox H P Heyford

Would my 70's blister pack Tiger Moth count for this? :ninja:

Yes I think that is most certainly well within the required criteria.

Me, Me Me please!!! :winkgrin:

I offer ;

Airfix B-29. (first time I built this was when I got the kit for my 10th birthday no less - 1968!!). Who can forget the superb box top artwork! I still think this old beauty is worth lavishing attention on!

Airfix Mirage III ( my second ever kit !!) - I'm now 54!!

Lindberg 1/48 XF-88 (got two of these!)

Airfix B-26 Marauder

Airfix B-24 Liberator

Matchbox H P Heyford

Age of all these is ideal but the Matchbox Heyford was a good kit and still holds up well. Perhaps better suited to the Interwar GB ;) Sure the Mirage III and XF-88 are bang on for this though!

I could be tempted to join in with this. i will see what I can pick up at Telford and throw some glue and paint at it. Never done a GB before so hoping this could be fun. Just don't expect museum quality.

So long as you enjoy yourself that's the important part of any GB :D

Hy guys,

I have just bought last saturday a 1/72 Matchbox Douglas P-70 Nightfighter. After opening the box a came to the horibble sense that it was the 1982 Revell version in a Matchbox box. I think I will build this for here.

Would it past the test?!

Cheers,

• Like 1

I have just bought last saturday a 1/72 Matchbox Douglas P-70 Nightfighter. After opening the box a came to the horibble sense that it was the 1982 Revell version in a Matchbox box. I think I will build this for here.

Would it past the test?!

I've just done a bit of research on this kit. Although it is in a 1982 box the kit is actually from the late 60s. I've had a look at photo of the parts. Even the photo made me feel ill :puke:

I think this one's definitely in! :D

• Like 1