Obsolete Kit Group build

Half the kits I build would fall into this GB - I've got a Matchbox AH-1G on the bench right now. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that was actually the most recent kit of the AH-1G to be released, in 1974!!! Prizes to anyone who can provide a compelling explanation as to why nobody's produced a modern kit of this iconic machine in both 1/72 and 1/48 (1/35 would be nice, too, but I digress).

Anyway, enough of the soap box. I'll defo be in on this GB. I'm assuming any of the following would be eligible, chaps?

1/72 Revell F-4B

1/50 Aurora F8U-1

1/?? Revell F-101A

1/72 Airfix MiG-15 (the old one)

1/72 KP MiG-15UTI/17/19/Spitfire IX

1/96 Lindberg Vulcan

1/48 Lindberg F-104

1/72 Airfix A-26

1/32 Monogram M35/M48A2

1/72 Airfix A-1/OV-10

1/72 Revell HH-3E

Edited by hythe

OK, how about a HAWK/TESTORS Me-163 Komet in 1/48...? If I do this one, I'll add an aftermarket cockpit...

Cheers,

ggc

I built the matchbox prowler years ago and was tempted to include this in the very bad ones... however it has some representation of the instrument panel, so is not that bad... then matchbox forgot to mould the main landing gear well... :analintruder:

On a different subject, what's the general opinion on unauthorised copies of these old kits ? I recently bought an Idea Twin Mustang that I believe is just a bad copy of the monogram kit... would something like this be eligible ?

I am very tempted to do the 1/32 Revell Hurricane. I have looked twice at it and closed the lid very fast.

If I do this one I will have to do a new interior and make a mk.IIa from it used by the Dutch in the Dutche Indies.

Half the kits I build would fall into this GB - I've got a Matchbox AH-1G on the bench right now. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that was actually the most recent kit of the AH-1G to be released, in 1974!!! Prizes to anyone who can provide a compelling explanation as to why nobody's produced a modern kit of this iconic machine in both 1/72 and 1/48 (1/35 would be nice, too, but I digress).

Anyway, enough of the soap box. I'll defo be in on this GB. I'm assuming any of the following would be eligible, chaps?

1/72 Revell F-4B

1/50 Aurora F8U-1

1/?? Revell F-101A

1/72 Airfix MiG-15 (the old one)

Definitely!

1/72 Airfix A-26

Don't think so. As far as I remember it's not a bad little kit - once you have sanded off all the dinnerplate rivets, that is. :D

On a different subject, what's the general opinion on unauthorised copies of these old kits ? I recently bought an Idea Twin Mustang that I believe is just a bad copy of the monogram kit... would something like this be eligible ?

Sounds good to me. Or bad, depending on your point of view. :lol:

I'll bite.

I have an old F-94C from the fifties with raised markings. This is the perfect group build for it.

Edited by Jim Starling

I'm in with the Novo Beaufighter. It's well and truly buried in my AMARC at the moment but from memory the header card is missing. I'm sure the colour is overall 'dark green' but don't think it specifies what shade. Can anyone assist?

BTW I'll paint it with a brush (don't have an airbrush lol!) and will stick it together with tube cement to keep it in 'period'.

Trevor

I'm in with the Novo Beaufighter. It's well and truly buried in my AMARC at the moment but from memory the header card is missing. I'm sure the colour is overall 'dark green' but don't think it specifies what shade. Can anyone assist?

BTW I'll paint it with a brush (don't have an airbrush lol!) and will stick it together with tube cement to keep it in 'period'.

Trevor

If I'm not wrong, the Novo kit represents an Australian Mk.XXI, therefore the colour is likely to be overall foliage green. Not sure this is really available straight from the tin from any paint manufacturer, but a quick search on the WW2 forum will show some interesting discussion on how best reproduce this.

If I'm not wrong, the Novo kit represents an Australian Mk.XXI, therefore the colour is likely to be overall foliage green. Not sure this is really available straight from the tin from any paint manufacturer, but a quick search on the WW2 forum will show some interesting discussion on how best reproduce this.

Thanks Giorgio but I'm doing this as a period build and I'm sure something as exotic as Foliage Green was beyond the Humbrol Authentics range at the time!

Basically I'm looking for an excuse to slap on any old dark green on the basis that " no one knew any better".

Dope and talcum powder for filler anyone?

Trevor the primitive

Edited by Max Headroom

Thanks Giorgio but I'm doing this as a period build and I'm sure something as exotic as Foliage Green was beyond the Humbrol Authentics range at the time!

Basically I'm looking for an excuse to slap on any old dark green on the basis that " no one knew any better".

Dope and talcum powder for filler anyone?

Trevor the primitive

Personally I think that a coat of good old Humbrol 30 would not be too bad as a representation of foliage green. As that humbrol paint must have been introduced many years ago, it would achieve the result of a decently accurate finish while keeping the "vintage" spirit of the build.

I am very tempted to do the 1/32 Revell Hurricane. I have looked twice at it and closed the lid very fast.

If I do this one I will have to do a new interior and make a mk.IIa from it used by the Dutch in the Dutche Indies.

Arniec

I've seen this accurised on Large Scale PLAnes, overall the shape is good, bit slim round the nose. Wheels wells are wrong.

For a MkII You need to lengthen the nose, deepen the radiator and move the oil cooler, and make a new spinner. The differences have been covered in a thread here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...64364&st=20

And it's covered in these weird circle rivets.

I though the ML-KNIL got Mk IIBs?

HTH

T

Arniec

I've seen this accurised on Large Scale PLAnes, overall the shape is good, bit slim round the nose. Wheels wells are wrong.

For a MkII You need to lengthen the nose, deepen the radiator and move the oil cooler, and make a new spinner. The differences have been covered in a thread here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...64364&st=20

And it's covered in these weird circle rivets.

I though the ML-KNIL got Mk IIBs?

HTH

T

Several years ago I remember a Romanian modeller (sorry I have forgotten his name) did a masterclass in SAMI.

Trevor

As am doing the Interwar GB at roughly the same time,does a Kleeware Roger B Taney,or,Inpact Avro Biplane in 1/48 qualify me? :bangin:

Don't think so. As far as I remember it's not a bad little kit - once you have sanded off all the dinnerplate rivets, that is. :D

Really? That Airfix A-26 was one of the ones which put me off modelling for a couple of decades, when I was a teenager! The shape's pretty good, I agree, but the whole thing's 40+ years old and totally obsolete when compared with the Italeri / Revell offering!

Anyway, I think I have enough junkers to choose from, at any rate!

Several years ago I remember a Romanian modeller (sorry I have forgotten his name) did a masterclass in SAMI.

Trevor

That was Radu Brinzan, on the January 2006 issue. A truly impressive model and my favourite of the ones he published on SAMI. IMHO that article is worth finding before building the revell kit.

I've had the luck of seeing some of his models at an Irish show (Radu is based in Ireland) and he really is a master modeller. Radu also has his space here on BM for his products, don't know if he made anything for the Hurry though.

So... a nostalgia build. Sounds like fun!

Hi Enzo, of course it does, so what more to say than get your kits ready. I've already been researching one of my chose subjects.

Colin on the Africa Station

so what more to say than get your kits ready

I still haven't made up my mind for this GB. And even if I did, given that we have a year before it starts, I'll probably change my mind twenty or thirty times! :D

I have been toying with:

Frog Gannet. I would use some modern resin and etch to build up the interior and wheel wells.

Airfix Bf110 The really old one, which is still available in a Dogfight Double with the really old Spitfire IX. Once again, using modern resin and etch to improve the detail. It might be fun to build the new Eduard 110 in parallel.

Airfix Beaufighter... scary! :door:

Incidentally, I will be building the Revell 1/48 Bf109G-10 for the Bf109 STGB. Although the kit is over thirty years old - and the actual kit I will be building has been in The Stash since 1979 - it wouldn't qualify for this GB as it is a very nice kit. Just needs a few modern refinements.

This will be great! Definitely cont me in, I just received a package today of four antique kits so it'll be one of these for me if I don't end up buying more before the start :)

SDC13346.jpg

I think this will be a nostalgia build for me. Back pre-1970, my favourite kits were Monogram. And of those favourite kits their FW-190 was my favourite.

Unfortunately, Revellogram have not re-issued it. My second favourite was their Mk. II Hurricane. Nope again. Sigh.

I think this will be a nostalgia build for me. Back pre-1970, my favourite kits were Monogram. And of those favourite kits their FW-190 was my favourite.

Unfortunately, Revellogram have not re-issued it. My second favourite was their Mk. II Hurricane. Nope again. Sigh.

ebay